Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering Buying a doberman, Is the information I have researched correct?​

I've done some research and I have learned they were originally bred for a tax collector (hence the named Doberman). He wanted a dog that looked aggressive and had a strong body. They have been recently breed to be more family dogs in recent years.

They have traits such as being loyal, fearless, obedient and smart

They need firm training and some don't mature until their a few years old

They live until around 12 years old.

They have issues such as separation anxiety, It dangerous for them to get cut as they could die from excessive bleeding.

There are laws in Ireland which I've read about owning one such as their collar must have a my Name and address, They must be muzzled in public places and that they need to be walked by an over 16 and short lead.

They don't do well in cold weather and prefer to sleep inside.

Now I have some questions

Whats their best diet how often to feed?

I have a rabbit as a puppy should I bring him up with the rabbit so he will be used to it and wont attack the rabbit if it escaped.

For 4 days a week I wont be home for 8 hours and for one day 4 hours, Will he be okay my mum and dad will be home so they will be around him not so much playing but they will be around him.

How long to walk?

Since he will be my first dog I plan on spoiling him! and he will be sleeping in my bed for sure!

Experience With Dogs

My mums dad did greyhound racing so she grew up with them and knows a good bit. My dad grew up in South Africa where all his dogs were guard dogs like self trained and were trained to attack but yet not to them so my dad has tones of experience. When I was little I had two little dogs but I was only 5 so can't really remember too much about them only a little. Two years ago my brother had two dogs a Boxer cross and Terrier Cross that was my second experience with dogs I brought them for walks when ever I stayed over then my brother went to South Africa so had to give them away But when my brother went to South Africa he got two guard dogs a Mastiff and a St Bernard Cross Something. So although this will be my first dog that will be long term everyone in my family has experience with dogs especially big ones. Like the mastiff was huge! I died when I saw the pictures!

Finally, What do you think do I know enough? Do you recommend me getting one?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
You are located in Ireland?

12 years old is very old for a doberman. Only a very small percentage of them make it to 12. I would say 9-10 is more common, and it is not unusual for dogs to die of cancer or heart disease when they are 7 or 8 years old.

Health problems plague this breed.

However, the bleeding issue that you speak of is easily avoided. There is a genetic test for it - search the forum for "von Willebrand" or "vWD".

I guess you could say they need "firm" training but I am more likely to say they need "fair" training. They can be very sensitive dogs.

As for the rabbit.. I have one too, and yes I would recommend exposing the puppy to the rabbit, but it's also no guarantee the puppy won't hurt it later in life. USUALLY (not always) when dobermans are brought up with other pets, they can co-exist pretty well.

I would recommend doing a lot of research and meeting some dobermans before you decide. They do need a lot of exercise, they are an active breed - and a lot of training - and a lot of socializing. They are not "easy" dogs.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
First, welcome to DT!

I'm going to touch on the points I feel need clarification in the order that I read them...
  • 12 years of age is a good long life for a doberman. 10 seems to be more normal and that's for dogs from good breeding.
  • A well adjusted dog should not suffer separation anxiety.
  • The excessive bleeding is due to vWD and can be prevented with proper and thoughtful breeding.
  • I cannot speak for the Irish laws.
  • They aren't made to live out in the elements and they are made to be with their people. These are inside dogs.

As for your questions...
  • No single diet works for all dogs. Raw is great if you can afford it. There are also some well balanced home-cooked diets also. I prefer a high quality kibble (Nature's Variety Instinct for me).
  • Teaching a strong "leave it" command as well as basic obedience coupled with training the puppy that the rabbit is not a toy should, hopefully, fix any issues. However, I would not trust the dog and a rabbit together unsupervised ever.
  • Many people work and have dogs. As long as he gets adequate attention and exercise while you are home than being gone for that period of time won't be a problem. While he is a puppy your parents will need to take him out for the occasional potty break until he gains bladder control.
  • No forced walking (on a leash where he cannot start and stop as he desires) until 18 months to two years of age.

My doberman is the first dog I've ever owned. I had worked with dog but never had one growing up. they probably aren't the easiest of first dogs and they can be monsters as puppies. However if you're dedicated it can definitely be done. Make sure to do your research - this site has a ton of good information so read up!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dobermans are known for being plagued with a lot of health issues so if you're seriously considering buying a dobe, check out this link for a list of health issues and information.

Good luck in your research. :)

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is that I'm not going to just buy one I want to make sure I'm able to cope with this and not go into this foolishly thank you so much for your answers Yes I'm in Ireland! I've always loved big dogs my Aunt in south africa had an Alsatian who was trained to attack burglars :confused: but I'd play with and it would jump and wrestle with me. I wouldn't get a Doberman now I rather wait until I have a long Holiday break so I can be around with it 24/7 helping it adjust to the family ! Does anyone like to IM me over a social networking site or link me to any good sites or even threads on this forum! I'm willing to put the time, Effort, money and energy into this dog!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts