Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently lost our fur bday of 9 years to cancer, a wonderful 9 yr Old Rottweiler that we adopter and loved so much. We have been without a year and recently moved to a 30 acre farm with large fenced homesite. My wife grew up with dobermans and German Shepard as a child on a large farm in west Texas in the 70-80’s. We have no children and little to no social circle, but we feel a void in our life without a dog for first time in 39 years.
we have always adopted from rescue group for Rottweilers. I am just beginning to search our rescue groups in Texas for dobermans, if you have any personal groups you successfully adopted from or have personal knowledge of in Texas or Oklahoma please pass on that reference. Seriously thinking 2 close to same age to help keep each other company , no doubt in my mind our family at the Rainbow Bridge will send us what we need when the time is right.
interested in learning all I can about the breed my wife so fondly remembers from her childhood years.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
30,247 Posts
Getting two puppies close to the same age is not recommended at all--you run the risk of littermate syndrome (the dogs become very dependent on each other and develop characteristic temperament problems) even if they aren't actually from the same litter. If they come as a pair who were raised together, do a little questioning to make sure they have healthy individual temperaments.

Adopting two adults at similar ages can work out OK (make SURE you get one of each sex--dobes are prone to same-sex aggression), BUT....then you're likely to lose both of them fairly close together--which can be hard on the heartstrings (not to mention the pocketbook.)

Anyway, just a comment, because I can't really help you with any recommendations--someone here is likely to chime in though.

In the meantime, I'd like to welcome you to DT.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,532 Posts
...Adopting two adults at similar ages can work out OK (make SURE you get one of each sex--dobes are prone to same-sex aggression), BUT....then you're likely to lose both of them fairly close together--which can be hard on the heartstrings (not to mention the pocketbook.)....
Welcome to DT, fellow Texan, TxMN! :)
Sorry about recent loss of your Rottie. Please post some pics of your past furbaby.

As Melbrod advised above, getting adult dogs of same age will most likely lead to losing them close together. Our Eva passed a just shy of 11 y/o. She just outlived our Spock by just 6-months, after both came down with DCM in late 2020. Eva was adopted at 2 y/o from HADR (Houston Area Doberman Rescue) Although their staff has changed since we adopted Eva, they still do a great job at pulling, accepting, treating and placing Dobermans in need.
I have made a transport trip with them for some Dobes pulled from shelters near border with Mexico, and HADR found wonderful homes for them both. If you check their FB page, linked on main webpage, you'll see Dobes that are just transported or taken in, but not ready yet for adoption (don't have to be FB member to view)

I have heard good things about Lonestar Doberman Rescue in DFW area. A family in our neighborhood adopted natural male and female Dobes from LSDR, (not at same time).

Keep in mind, application process if VERY thorough, almost like adopting a human child. This would include home inspection, records of current and past dogs, vet references and any list of humans living in house.
HADR has in contract that adopted dogs must complete an obedience course within a certain time after adopting. I submitted a portfolio of pictures of our house to HADR, including fence, dog play, eating and sleeping areas, etc. since staff member couldn't visit our home at that time. Having previous Dobermans or other dominant breed dog experience will help you get approved for adoption. (y)

There are several more Doberman rescues in TX, but many are very small and don't thru-put many dogs.
(FYI- Spock and Eva's life movie linked in my signature below)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am very familiar with the process of rescue groups, have done it several times, I support the adoption processes and methods, no problem for us. We always adopt different sex if we have two, and will again, thanks for the Houston group info, currently looking at the DFW and Texas groups, look promising. There is a trainer near me who works with dobermans a lot, has offered us to visit and get to know their operation.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Petfinder.com is a good resource, as well. Many rescues and shelters cross-post there. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: dobebug and melbrod
1 - 7 of 7 Posts