Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Doberman as a Google alert (of course) and today it brought me this article: Conklin Woman Face 16 Cruelty Charges

In a nutshell, they removed 13 live Dobermans from her "care"; she apparently claimed to be a Doberman rescue, but did sign them over to the Humane Society in Broome County NY. There were others dead, in crates, who are estimated to have been dead for more than a year. And still others, dead, that aren't recognizable at this point.

Though the animals are now housed at the shelter, there is a tremendous need to help them recover. Some animals are being housed outside because of overcrowding, Tripp said. Donations are in dire need.

"We already had a full shelter. This has just put us over the top," she said.

Those interested in donating items or money can stop by the Humane Society at 2 Jackson St. in Binghamton, or call 607-724-3709. A list of needed items are available at Binghamton Humane Society | The humane society is an independent, non-profit animal welfare organization..
Binghamton is an hour from me, tops. This makes me feel so sick and sad.

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These poor dogs! Luckily, it sounds as if there is an outpouring of support with people making donations to the Broome County Humane Society and several of the areas Doberman rescues are also attempting to help.

This article has a video showing some of the dogs and a photo of the woman.
Thanks for posting that, I poked around for a couple of articles and ended up linking the initial one I was emailed, because I didn't see pictures and they were all worded the same (and my break was almost over....)

God, those poor dogs :( They still seem lively and social, which is a true miracle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Excuse me, I live in this area, I plan on visiting these poor babies this weekend, can you guys help somehow with donations or anything...I'm trying the best I can, asking everyone I know for help, any help is greatly appreciated... Here's the info you need please help Captain Jack and I make a difference in their lives. They deserve -SO- much better...Those interested in donating items or money can stop by the Humane Society at 2 Jackson St. in Binghamton, or call (607)724-3709. A list of needed items are available at Binghamton Humane Society | The humane society is an independent, non-profit animal welfare organization..

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
For anyone wanting to donate to help these poor souls, PLEASE DONATE DIRECTLY TO the Broome County Humane Society.

"What a busy time. We are tending to 13 Doberman Pinchers that were rescued yesterday. These poor dogs are in very bad shape. They are emaciated, have open sores and a variety of other issues. The entire Humane Society Staff has risen to the challenge of caring for these animals.

We appreciate the community support we are receiving and can't begin to emphasize how critical your support is at this time.

Right now we are in need of Pedigree Canned Dog Food, Frontline Plus Flea Preventive, Paper Towels and Bleach. Monetary donations are also welcomed to assist with veterinary costs.

Donations can be made via our website at Binghamton Humane Society | The humane society is an independent, non-profit animal welfare organization. simply click on "Donate" at top center of our page! Thank you all for your compassion!"

PLEASE DO NOT make donations through another organization that says that they will forward your donations onto the Broome County Humane Society, especially when the organization is not a 501(C)3. Donors need to understand that if they send donations to the Broome County Humane Society (which is 501(c)3), they can take their donations as a tax deduction on their income tax filings. If a rescue group/animal shelter is not 501(c)3, donations are not allowed as tax deductions by the donor.

I do not understand why any rescue would ask that donations be filtered through them as it just doesn't make any sense to me. I can understand one organization wanting to help another and the dogs, but why not ask for donations to be sent DIRECTLY to the organization that has the dogs in its care?

"Wendy Moss

DRA SUPPORTERS: Yes, we ALWAYS need funds to care for our Dobermans, but there is also a horrendous case where 13 Dobermans are in horrible condition and need our help. If you will donate to us we will send your funds directly to them. They need food, bleach, medicine, etc. Send via PayPal to [email protected]​nc.org and state it is for the 13 emaciated Dobies in NY removed from a hoarder. Many were on death's door and 3 were found dead."

·
Registered
115 Posts
13 Dobermans rescued from a horder! They need your help!

Please if you can donate money or dog items please help these poor babies. They rescued 13 and others were found dead. Why are people so mean??? Don't they understand how great dobermans are???

The link is below:

The Broome County Humane Society Donations can be made via our website at www.bchumanesoc.com simply click on "Donate" at top center of our page! Thank you all for your compassion!

This Humane Society has opened their hearts to these poor dobermans. Even after what they have gone through they are very freindly dogs

Please help with however you can!!!

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
For anyone wanting to donate to help these poor souls, PLEASE DONATE DIRECTLY TO the Broome County Humane Society.

"What a busy time. We are tending to 13 Doberman Pinchers that were rescued yesterday. These poor dogs are in very bad shape. They are emaciated, have open sores and a variety of other issues. The entire Humane Society Staff has risen to the challenge of caring for these animals.

We appreciate the community support we are receiving and can't begin to emphasize how critical your support is at this time.

Right now we are in need of Pedigree Canned Dog Food, Frontline Plus Flea Preventive, Paper Towels and Bleach. Monetary donations are also welcomed to assist with veterinary costs.

Donations can be made via our website at Binghamton Humane Society | The humane society is an independent, non-profit animal welfare organization. simply click on "Donate" at top center of our page! Thank you all for your compassion!"

PLEASE DO NOT make donations through another organization that says that they will forward your donations onto the Broome County Humane Society, especially when the organization is not a 501(C)3. Donors need to understand that if they send donations to the Broome County Humane Society (which is 501(c)3), they can take their donations as a tax deduction on their income tax filings. If a rescue group/animal shelter is not 501(c)3, donations are not allowed as tax deductions by the donor.

I do not understand why any rescue would ask that donations be filtered through them as it just doesn't make any sense to me. I can understand one organization wanting to help another and the dogs, but why not ask for donations to be sent DIRECTLY to the organization that has the dogs in its care?

"Wendy Moss

DRA SUPPORTERS: Yes, we ALWAYS need funds to care for our Dobermans, but there is also a horrendous case where 13 Dobermans are in horrible condition and need our help. If you will donate to us we will send your funds directly to them. They need food, bleach, medicine, etc. Send via PayPal to [email protected]​nc.org and state it is for the 13 emaciated Dobies in NY removed from a hoarder. Many were on death's door and 3 were found dead."

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
ew read this quote about the lady:
"The owner did sign over all of the animals," Tripp said. "She proclaims to be a Doberman rescue."
how about she's the Doberman Devil putting the dogs thru hell...
needs to go to jail but will most likely get off with INSANITY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank you guys for posting more information! Those dobes thank you for your help and donations!

If you have facebook you can also share the links.

These dobies deserve the world after what theyve gone through! I pray for them to get healthy and find happy forever homes!

If I was in NY I would definetly adopt one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Broome County (Binghamton) and was going to post this story but just got back in town. Thanks Dobbie23 for posting this. My wife and I are donating food, flea treatment and supplies and will be checking up on the Dobies on their journey back to health. I can't imagine why on earth this evil woman would do this and have the nerve to call herself a Doberman rescue! I will keep all of you posted when we learn how they are progressing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I live in Broome County (Binghamton) and was going to post this story but just got back in town. Thanks GingerGunlock for posting this. My wife and I are donating food, flea treatment and supplies and will be checking up on the Dobies on their journey back to health. I can't imagine why on earth this evil woman would do this and have the nerve to call herself a Doberman rescue! I will keep all of you posted when we learn how they are progressing.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If my fiance would let me, I would totally adopt one of them. He's been pretty consistent in his declaration that our house (mostly our bed, I think!) is not big enough for two Dobermans, and I don't want to force him into a dog he doesn't want.

Donating, though, I can still do that.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
why is it that some people start hoarding dogs.

so odd that many of them believe the dogs are better off with them than anywhere else.

I tell you, if I was a stray dog, I would rather stay a stray than spend time in such a situation as many so called 'rescued' dogs find themselves in with these hoarders.

Prayers, Hugz and Hope for all these dobes in need.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Update 7/8/2012

"The Broome County Humane Society

As an update we are thrilled with the the influx of donations and community support! We are adjusting to caring for the influx of dogs we have. We are up to nearly 50 dogs and 80 cats in our Shelter - with our same level of staffing. All employees are putting in extra time to help us adjust to this situation.

Our priority is tending to the immmediate health needs of the doberman's and all of the animals in our Shelter. Many of the Doberman's are in really bad shape and we are taking it one day at a time.

We have had some concern from Doberman Rescues about our not allowing rescues to take the dogs. This is challenging due to the fact that we will need to potentially visit each rescue, check references, etc. We would be remiss if we didn't. We are operating with the best interests of the dogs in mind. We are not against placing some of these dogs into rescues, we just have to practice due diligence in the process. We are hoping everyone will be understanding of this.

Thank you for all of your support and we will post updates for you as often as we can."

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Have any reputable rescues reached out to take some of the dobes? I hate that the dobes are stuck in a shelter around disease when they could be in a Doberman experienced foster home :( it just seems odd. Shelters are usually bursting at the seams with dogs as it is, most would be very willing to work with breed specific rescues to get these dogs into the appropriate homes. I understand the sensitivity of the situation as the woman entrusted with these dogs' care called herself a rescue, but surely the shelter would not refuse legitimate non profit Dobe rescues from taking these dogs off their hands?

I'm just a bit confused because at least around here, shelters #1 priority is getting dogs in situations like this into the appropriate rescues.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Have any reputable rescues reached out to take some of the dobes? I hate that the dobes are stuck in a shelter around disease when they could be in a Doberman experienced foster home :( it just seems odd. Shelters are usually bursting at the seams with dogs as it is, most would be very willing to work with breed specific rescues to get these dogs into the appropriate homes. I understand the sensitivity of the situation as the woman entrusted with these dogs' care called herself a rescue, but surely the shelter would not refuse legitimate non profit Dobe rescues from taking these dogs off their hands?

I'm just a bit confused because at least around here, shelters #1 priority is getting dogs in situations like this into the appropriate rescues.
I know that the DPCA Rescue Committee has offered to help as well as DAN~Doberman Assistance Network, Doberman Rescue Unlimited (DRU), Distinguished Doberman Rescue, INC (DDR) and I believe the Delaware Valley Doberman Pinscher Rescue (DVDPA).

I agree with everything that you said above Jaime. If you go to the Broome County Humane Society facebook page under the post that I pasted above, there is a discussion going on about this topic.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts