Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male 9 month old dobie that is supposed to be a show prospect dog. He is a little on the small side 25 1/2 inch currently he is still growing But the more I look at him the more i think he may be a little too short in the back legs. Opinions wanted (he is not staked just snaped a pic cause it was bothering me to day) PS he is french and Italian bred dog. The second pic shows his colors and ears better

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do not think his back legs are short. :)

though I do think his croup is too steep and think he has a low tailset.

Hugz to Victor!
Thanks for the honesty and not trying to sound stupid but Croup is a term I am unfamiliar with could you explain it to me please. I am not real worried about his tail that is one of the things that seems to work is way out as they fill out.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Thanks for the honesty and not trying to sound stupid but Croup is a term I am unfamiliar with could you explain it to me please. I am not real worried about his tail that is one of the things that seems to work is way out as they fill out.
The "round part" of the butt. Picture here and description of the angle it should be

Hindquarters

From the way he is standing his rear looks a tad straight too. Pictures are also on the page. But it is a difficult picture to see for conformation.

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I have a male 9 month old dobie that is supposed to be a show prospect dog. He is a little on the small side 25 1/2 inch currently he is still growing But the more I look at him the more i think he may be a little too short in the back legs. Opinions wanted (he is not staked just snaped a pic cause it was bothering me to day) PS he is french and Italian bred dog. The second pic shows his colors and ears better

Hm, show prospect can be a confusing term. There are many show "venues". Which venue was he supposed to be a prospect for? Typically Euro dogs are not prospects for the AKC breed ring, but may be ok for UKC/UDC or ADA.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Since you asked; no, I don't think his back legs are too short. But he won't be competitive in any conformation venue for a wide variety of other structural faults. That doesn't mean you can't do any number of other fun events with him though. There are so many things you can compete in now that have nothing to do with conformation so ALL dogs can have fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Oh jeezs I am gonna sound stupid his father and grandfather are schltz titled I don't think I spelled that right and his grandmother on the dogs's side was conformation finished and the grandmother on the bitch's side was "trial" (I have no idea) titled. I was hoping I could show him in conformation because he is not a get out and go Kind of Dobe. He in my dog he is stuck to me he dose not play fetch or run obsticals He will not hunt for a hidden object he has no intrest in it he will do anything I ask as long as it dosen't have anything to do with doing something where I am out of sight he hates water so I can't dock dive with him I am looking for something I can do as an activity with him My company has banned dobes now from doing pt work as have the schools near me I don't want him getting board and he is smart so he has to have some kind of job or he seems unhappy (maybe not the best word) Looking for something to do getting disouraged

Reactions: KenyaARaineCD

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Oh jeezs I am gonna sound stupid his father and grandfather are schltz titled I don't think I spelled that right and his grandmother on the dogs's side was conformation finished and the grandmother on the bitch's side was "trial" (I have no idea) titled. I was hoping I could show him in conformation because he is not a get out and go Kind of Dobe. He in my dog he is stuck to me he dose not play fetch or run obsticals He will not hunt for a hidden object he has no intrest in it he will do anything I ask as long as it dosen't have anything to do with doing something where I am out of sight he hates water so I can't dock dive with him I am looking for something I can do as an activity with him My company has banned dobes now from doing pt work as have the schools near me I don't want him getting board and he is smart so he has to have some kind of job or he seems unhappy (maybe not the best word) Looking for something to do getting disouraged
You may be able to have a go in the conformation ring for UKC? I hear it's not as competitive as the AKC ring, and Euro dobes may have a better chance there.

Have you had a go at obedience or rally obedience? My agility club offers an introductory class which is about building a working relationship with your dog, teaching you how to have fun together- maybe try to find something like that?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I agree with above, I don't think he would be able to compete in confirmation. Not that he won't be allowed to or anything, I just don't see it going anywhere.

The therapy work sounds good, if he's laid back and calm. If you want to do any of the other sports, maybe you can try to build his drive a bit and see where that goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts