Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you attend confirmation shows with your dobes? Do you show them personally or do you have a professional handling your dog? How often do you show your dog?

Since I'll be getting the pup from a breeder, I'm considering doing some showing with the pup. I'm not all that interested in confirmation shows, so I wouldn't really care how succesful my puppy is at it. However I'm thinkin that this might be a good socializing opportunity for the pup, being around all those people, all the different dogs, all that noise, etc. Plus it would be a great way to meet people.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Zucker said:
How many of you attend confirmation shows with your dobes? Do you show them personally or do you have a professional handling your dog? How often do you show your dog?

Since I'll be getting the pup from a breeder, I'm considering doing some showing with the pup. I'm not all that interested in confirmation shows, so I wouldn't really care how succesful my puppy is at it. However I'm thinkin that this might be a good socializing opportunity for the pup, being around all those people, all the different dogs, all that noise, etc. Plus it would be a great way to meet people.
I use a pro handler with my dogs..handling is something I've never had the slightest interest in doing. LOL, good thing, because its something in which I have not a shred of talent.

How often the dog is shown depends on their age for the most part. Very few dobermans are competitive as puppies-the puppy classes are primarily used for training. Plus I think you have to be careful about burning young dogs out by putting too much pressure on them.

In the past, I've shown youngsters one weekend per month at local shows while they were in the puppy classes. The young bitch I have now (14 months) was shown 3 weekends in the puppy classes-her handler lives in another state so I've had to travel to show her most of the time. She's done well, with multiple Best Puppy in Specialty placements and also a 3 point major.

Once the dog is trained and mature, they're shown more often..with the goal being to finish them in as few shows as possible.

It's good socialization for puppies-but even if you don't use a hander, it can be an expensive form of socialization. Entries, gas and other expenses can add up quickly. Also, if your puppy is purchased with limited registration through the AKC, it's ineligible to be shown in conformation.

BTW..I dont normally obsess on spelling errors-but its conFORMation, you show dogs to see how well they conform to the written breed standard.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
My dogs show in conformation here in Ontario until they are finished their championships, and then I usually don't bother with it anymore. Occasionally, I will bring a champion to a specialty show, and I definitely support the veterans classes.

My husband or I may show a youngster a few times to start, and then we hire a handler to finish. The handler just does a much better job than we do, and we get the benefit of actually being able to watch our dog. I was in the ring 2 weeks ago handling a veteran myself. The same weekend found me in obedience putting a CD on another.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
I show in conformation also. Velma showed for awhile and I tried handling her myself - money was a big issue. I tripped over her when she veered in front of me while gaiting and I shattered my left foot. Wish I had gone to a pro-handler right from the start - LOL!

I did use a semi pro handler after that, but Velma was a reserve queen so I retired her from conformation and we do obedience.

Louise is showing with a top handler. I have on occasion taken her in myself. I do like to practice by going to match shows when they are local, and I recommend match shows to anyone who would like to try handling - it is a good place to learn without pressure.

Louise is currently in 12-18 month puppy class. She only shows on occassion and has one point, a reserve from a specialty, and one sweepstakes win at a specialty. I don't have the money to take her out a lot so it is a little at a time until she is really ready to win............still maturing right now.

I'm fairly good at teaching my dogs to stack, but I stink at gaiting because I can no longer run very well. Dang foot!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I know they have conformation classes...I don't show Duchess...we just have her as a pet...but I have been wondering if people think joining a class to teach them how to show...would benefit dogs for obedience competitions...perhaps learning how to stack...etc...would provide more grace and poise to when they compete in obedience? would any of you guys recommend that? I don't know what they learn in the conformation classes...but in my opinion show dogs combined with obedience training would be pretty impressive to the eye.
...like Duchess will do a stand stay for obedience but its just a solid standing stay...she isnt standing too pretty...lol but she stands her self up and stays put...
so do you guys think its a good idea to take a conformation class without intentions of showing your dog in conformation...but only since it may help with poise, posture, and balance during obedience?....lol might be a silly question :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
We show our dobes in conformation too in Ontario and I started with using a pro. I wouldn't hesitate to say the Dobe ring is one of the most competitive out there. I have taken handling classes, gone to an all day seminar, and just basically "stalked" the handlers that I see at the top every time. We purchased a video recorder so now I can RELIVE the mistakes I make LOL. One of the trade offs I made with my husband was a trailer - we purchased a trailer and I'm "not allowed" to use a pro handler ...

One thing that helped tremendously is my dane puppy. She's been a real confidence booster for me, and I've managed 8 points on her (she's ten months old now) and two puppy group placements; she's half way to her UKC championship with two group 3 placements too). My goal is to do it myself from here on in. Everyone starts of at the beginning. So I'm sucking it up and forging ahead :)

If you decide to show though, make sure your breeder knows this so that you pick the right pup for you :)

·
Banned
675 Posts
You can take Duchess to handling classes for fun, because it can be fun for both you and her. I don't know how much it might help with obedience. Conformation Dobermans are taught to move on a leash without pulling, but so are obedience dogs. In the stand for examination you are allowed to stack the dog by hand if you want to. So you can do that in obedience class, if you want her to stand in a more attractive way, you can position her once she has stood up. OTOH going to handling class would be helpful in teaching you "how" to stack her.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
velmadobe said:
it is a little at a time until she is really ready to win............still maturing right now.
Yeah, between waiting for Razzle to grow up a bit and the yucky judging lineups we have in the near future, it probably will be November-December before she shows again.

LOL..sitting around waiting for a really good one to grow up is really HARD to do, the lure of the ring is hard to resist. But besides being the most cost effective way to do it, I just refuse to enter under bad judges, hoping I might get lucky. Too much aggravation involved in that.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Yeah, between waiting for Razzle to grow up a bit and the yucky judging lineups we have in the near future, it probably will be November-December before she shows again.

LOL..sitting around waiting for a really good one to grow up is really HARD to do, the lure of the ring is hard to resist. But besides being the most cost effective way to do it, I just refuse to enter under bad judges, hoping I might get lucky. Too much aggravation involved in that.
I wish I knew more about the judges - just have not been around long enough to know much about them. I know a few and some I would be iffy with. Now with Gwen calling the shots, I just have to trust that she will do right by her. I've been lucky so far that the handler taking Louise back in for winners has been Ashley - and Louise loves Ashley as that is who showed her in 6-9 & 9-12.

If I had the money, we would be out more. I just can't afford to show all the time. I love going to shows....... there are some coming up locally in a couple of weeks. We are not entered, but I will go just to watch.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Murreydobe said:
BTW..I dont normally obsess on spelling errors-but its conFORMation, you show dogs to see how well they conform to the written breed standard.
No, thanks for pointing that out! Now I will (or should) remember! I think I was thinking "confirm" as in to confirm that the dog is according to standard.

It hadn't occured to me that showing a dog could get expensive. Just what sort of money are we talking about? I don't think I would want to hire a professional to show my dog, that would beat the point of doing this for fun and as something to do with my dog. Do you think it would be a futile attempt for me to do this by myself? Obviously skills go into this as I'm reading your replies, but at the risk of sounding naive, just how hard could it be to run a dog around the ring a few times? I'm assuming you would need to be very familliar with the breed's standard as well as have a grasp on what are your dog's strengths and weakneses.

I'll have to go out to some dog shows and watch these people at work! I know a guy who's a vizsla handler and he loves this stuff, he's the one who suggested I should give it a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey Zucker

I have been contemplating this for a while as well , But i am going to take handling classes and do it myself. You got to look at it like this , with a handler your dog will finish faster, then you or I will but they usually charge between 50-80$ to show your dog then if he or she goes further like (BOB) then they will charge more. If they half to travel with your dog then they charge you expense fee as well.

Where as If you do it entry fee's are usually 20-40$ and when you finally finish your dog, you get that nice pic of you beside you dog not the handler :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I just looked on the CKC web site and found this:

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=87&page=1#11150

That's the first closest to me (Barrie's only about an hour and a bit away I think) weekend show I could find. I want to go! I've actually never been to a dog show before.

How do I find more detailed information about this show? Such as what time things start and end. What time are the actual trials at? Is there an entree fee to watch? Do I have to purchase my tickets ahead of time? Like I said, I've never been to a dog show, I have no clue how these things work. I tried to find a website for this Barrie Kennela and Obedience Club, but couldn't find one.

Are any of you Ontarians planning on attending this show? I'd love to say "hi" and meet your dobes!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was just thinking of this, you are getting your dog from Ontario right??

Why dont you ask your breeder to just finsh him/her then your done with it. I would of done the same but my breeder is almost 6 hours away from me , so it doesnt work out im my situation.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
There is a Doberman booster at the Barrie show on Aug 6 - that means they are offering special prizes/ribbons hoping to boost the Doberman entry somewhat.

I'm not sure if the show is closed yet. There won't be a schedule until after entries close. They can't make a schedule until they know how many are coming.

There may be a small admission fee to go watch. You just pay it there.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I do confirmation with Tia and handle her myself, i have attended handling classes since before she was old enough to show,have a go at at it it is so much fun and more self satisfying if you do,the day i qualified Tia for Crufts was the best day ever,as soon as Mischa is old enough she will tread the same path.Have a go what's the harm,it's fun and you might take to it like a duck to water.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The barrie entry closes tonight at 8:00 p.m. and from there you can go to www.mjnshowservices.com to see what the schedule is going to be. It is usually posted a couple days after closing.

Sunday is your best bet for the dpcc booster - who are you getting your pup from? They may be there. Come say hi - I entered my specials bitch just for the "fun" haha.

I know that the handling doesn't sound "hard" but it is! It's amazing to see the pros and how they make a dog look good, even better than it is *grin*

I would suggest getting Jeffrey Brucker's CD on handling - it's excellent.

For other shows, you can go to www.theentryline.com
they have the shows listed by month.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In Germany show and work is more close togeather.
For example: I f one would like to attend at the Körung, one must have at least 2 show results with minimum SG fron 2 different judges.
If your beautiful dog wants to become DV-Winner, or IDC-Winner, it needs the ZTP.
In my opinion, it should include a working title too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gatehouse

Where do you get this Jeffrey Brucker's CD ?? sounds very good.

I plan on getting lessons from Thomas Curley and hopefully he can put me in the right direction.He is local and one of the better handler's in this area.

I plan on going to the Kars show this weekend so no traveling down south for awhile. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cyrus showed in conformation until this past January. He finished his championship at 11 months, and was shown off and on as a special - at one point in the top 25. We used a regionally known handler.

For those of you wanting to handle your own dogs, good luck. Practice a ton in front of a big mirror. I took handling classes with Cyrus for almost a year, and the one show I showed him myself was a tiny, tiny show - 2 specials, and we lost both days to a dog we never lost to when his pro handler was showing him.

The dobe ring is VERY competitive, and there are a lot of excellent pro handlers that are difficult to beat. Someone like Gwen DeMilta can make even an average dog look spectacular. Try to find a dobe handler to learn from. I've watched other breed handlers show in the dobe ring, and it's just not the same.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
dobie lover said:
Gatehouse

Where do you get this Jeffrey Brucker's CD ?? sounds very good.

I plan on getting lessons from Thomas Curley and hopefully he can put me in the right direction.He is local and one of the better handler's in this area.

I plan on going to the Kars show this weekend so no traveling down south for awhile. :)

I will check my invoice and see where exactly I ordered it from. It was a few years ago, but it has been an invaluable CD for me.... I often watch parts before I go in....a reminder of what NOT to do sometimes!

You picked a great handler. Tom Curley shows Cooper, who is I think the No. dane right now. He has given me a few pointers in the ring, something not a lot would do LOL He likely won't know my name, but he will know my brindle dane puppy cameo :) Please say hi to him for me ... he had an unfortunate incident this past weekend with an akita - ended up with a bite to his face and arm :( but he was back the next day - a real trooper.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts