Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! About a year ago I got my first doberman, a 12 week old european dobe we named Leah. She's now a just shy of 1.5 years old and about 65 lbs and still filling out (we had slower growth due to some serious digestive issues). I'm interested in learning more about doberman confirmation, and I've done research and looked at different pictures, but in my experience (with equine confirmation!) there is no substitute for having experienced eyes point things out to you. I'm hoping that a few doberman lovers with experience in confirmation will be willing to take a look at Leah and tell me what her strong/weak points might be! I have a few guesses (masculine head? slightly loose lips?) but I'd love input. She's spayed so this isn't related to breeding and I'm not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity to show her since we live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming, but it's always fun to learn more about your dog. Also feel free to share any great confirmation resources I may have missed. Hope you'll chime in! (Sorry about the stack, but we haven't worked on that at all so I just snapped the pic when she was standing like that naturally. I can try to get a few more photos like a head shot with her mouth closed, and if I do I will upload them!)

Leah confirmation by clbratten, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Welcome to DT.

The best conformation resource is the DPCA illustrated standard: The DPCA | Judges Education . Make sure you go through all the sections. Also by the DPCA is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXat1Hog7nI

As for Leah, it will not be easy to properly evaluate her conformation from this photo. It is not necessarily the stack that is the issue, it is the angle of the photo as well. You need to be square to her shoulder to take a proper conformation photo.

As for showing her, AKC shows require dogs/ bitches to be intact. United Kennel Club (www.UKCdogs.com) offers altered conformation classes and is a very beginner/ owner handler friendly venue.

·
Registered
529 Posts
now while pictures don't tell us everything. If you notice the rolls above her shoulders. that tells me she is carrying a couple of extra pounds. the bald spot on her elbow says she is laying on hard surfaces. for a dog that shows in conformation details are important. personally I would like to see some chest sticking Past the front legs. the picture is from a higher angle but it appears that the chest could be deeper. when looking square on the chest should come down to the elbows. which it may if the picture was down at that level. If properly stacked it looks like she would be square as should be. which many are not. many are longer then they are tall. To tell true conformation need better stacked photos and movement from side, front, and from rear going away.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,068 Posts
You can’t show in AKC conformation with a spayed dog, but there are other sports where you can show--obedience and rally for example.

Obvious, perhaps. but I just want to make sure that folks don’t take the “can’t show a spayed dog” as a total ban on showing spayed or neutered dogs in any kind of venue.

·
Registered
529 Posts
even though their dog can't show in conformation. By giving a critique they still can learn some basics. Most people who end up with show dogs start out with ones that can't. I know that was the case with me. At first it was the health testing that brought me into contact with show people and then learning that conformation shows weren't just a beauty contest but actually served a purpose. As my knowledge grew I wanted to learn more and to get involved.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Most people really think that about conformation shows. Like we enter them totall on the beauty of the dog, or some ego trip of our own. There is a reason for correct layback or shoulder, correct rear angulation, clumpy feet. Just as someone that knows horse conformation will know by looking at the horse if it is going to give him a good ride on the trail or not.

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
I think that her conformation is fairly comparable to other European working imports that I've seen, when they are stacked in a normal way instead of leaning into a collar to get an exaggerated front angulation. While she is pretty straight in the front, her rear angles look fine, her croup is slightly rounded (correct) and she seems fairly square. All in all, she would not do well in the AKC ring, but is overall a pretty nice looking girl. If you are interested in doing performance sports, I would consider having her hips and elbows x-rayed and looked at by a vet who really knows what they are doing. You might consider having them sent to OFA for evaluation - but since she is spayed, I'd be ok with a competent vet looking at them and making sure that she is not dysplastic. She is in good weight and looks to be nice and fit. All in all, she is a nice example of the breed - especially for a European Doberman.
Have fun with her - there are so so so many dog sports out there now to compete in.... truly, something for everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts