Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
The vet that did my boys crop said that if the cup did come off, not to worry, it wasn't the end of the world.

One thing I notice on your pups head is a lack of glue. Our local vet practically scalped our little boy when his box came off. Not to digress, but you'd think that a vet with a decades worth of schooling would know not to simply rip off a glued piece...

Anyways, the 2nd portion my vet said was to under no circumstances attempt to reattach the box/cup and if you are closer to the 2 week mark than not, don't worry just leave it.

Your pups ears look good, length wise, very similar to mine. My first post went on 8-10-11 and as of two days ago, he is done. Might have to tend to the tips a bit, but the ears themselves are standing. I cannot complain after barely over a month posting, so I hope you have very similar luck!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not concerned that the cup is off :) He was at 3 weeks today and the stitches have been out for a week but we left the cup attached. I would not attempt to put the cup back on.

Whiskey's cup was not glued directly to his head. Only the ears were glued to the cup and then well taped. I think I will be very happy with this crop once they're standing.

Thank you for your well wishes that we get his ears standing!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I posted a thread a few days ago about this, I took his cup off because I wanted his ears to take a break before they were posted. In the pics in my last thread it showed some inflammation and irritation. The next day it was way better and his cup was off for 2 days before the breeder posted his ears. Oh and I taped his ears to the top of his head for the night because he wouldnt stop shaking his head. But all in all its something you prob dont have to worry about.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/59194-anyone-have-pics-when-they-got-cup-off.html

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Whiskey looks to have a real nice crop.

Our girl left her cup on, but when we first posted, little bugger figured out how-to demolish the tape job, after 5 minutes.
- Amy would run get under the coffee table and shake her head / until the post was severely damaged...lol
This after my wife, just spent 20 minutes, playing "nurse" with a 9 week old puppy.

After she got the posts, all ripped apart - we had to keep a close eye on her / as she always head directly to the coffee table.
- they learn so quick, even some things / we don't want

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whiskey looks to have a real nice crop.

Our girl left her cup on, but when we first posted, little bugger figured out how-to demolish the tape job, after 5 minutes.
- Amy would run get under the coffee table and shake her head / until the post was severely damaged...lol
This after my wife, just spent 20 minutes, playing "nurse" with a 9 week old puppy.

After she got the posts, all ripped apart - we had to keep a close eye on her / as she always head directly to the coffee table.
- they learn so quick, even some things / we don't want
Thank you for the compliment! His crop was done by an excellent cropper suggested to me by this forum. I am VERY pleased with the results.

I hope Whiskey doesn't learn how to get his posts out so quickly... I think I'll keep him away from the coffee table.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
If you want, I can post them in the morning. I would post them asap. I get off at 730, but I can do them before I go to bed if you want. I could also do them in the afternoon when I get up, probably around 430.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Missed that post entirely Megan. I'm about to head to Lowe's for backer rod and duct tape and try it on my own lol

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
clever little guy! lol .. his ears look pretty good, cant wait to see him when they are standing, he is gonna look so handsome!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I can send you a roll of Zonas Tape Stacey. You'll need it. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Welp... so far so good! Took about an hour to figure it out but he's had these 2 posts in for 45 minutes now. Hope they hold as I have work soon :p

Michelle.. I'll pm you about the tape.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Pic is hard to see, but it actually doesn't look like you did too bad of a job. If you need anything, I for real don't mind for you to call me...I'd be happy to help you.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... I guess I should have waited for his ears to heal up after all. His morning he was whining when he shook his head so I took off his posts to find that the irritated spots were now larger and oozing pus. I'm leaving him unposted until his ears are completely healed.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I sent you the Zonas tape today in the mail.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Well... I guess I should have waited for his ears to heal up after all. His morning he was whining when he shook his head so I took off his posts to find that the irritated spots were now larger and oozing pus. I'm leaving him unposted until his ears are completely healed.
Poor guy. Josie's ears were a little infected in the first couple of weeks I had her. Some antibiotics and keeping the ears clean worked quickly for us. Give Whiskey a hug for me.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent you the Zonas tape today in the mail.
Thanks a bunch, Michelle!

And Megan, it's not just a little infection :( Half of the back of his ear is scabbed and was all gross with pus when I took off the post. It wasn't even under where it was taped. I really want to post his ears but not at the risk of his health and well being. I'm going to wait for the scabbing to completely heal before I try and post again.

I've cleaned it and put Neosporin on it so I think we'll be good to go in something under a week :!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Thanks a bunch, Michelle!

And Megan, it's not just a little infection :( Half of the back of his ear is scabbed and was all gross with pus when I took off the post. It wasn't even under where it was taped. I really want to post his ears but not at the risk of his health and well being. I'm going to wait for the scabbing to completely heal before I try and post again.

I've cleaned it and put Neosporin on it so I think we'll be good to go in something under a week :!
I was told by my breeder who is also a vet tech not to put to much neosprin on it as it can hinder the healing process. She a little bit will go a long way, just that I would throw that out there. Good luck with the little guy, hope he has a speedy healing time.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told by my breeder who is also a vet tech not to put to much neosprin on it as it can hinder the healing process. She a little bit will go a long way, just that I would throw that out there. Good luck with the little guy, hope he has a speedy healing time.
Thanks for the advice :) I was already aware but it's nice to know people care! The way I look at it a week out of posts when he's only 11 weeks old isn't going to make or break his ears especially since he has a pet crop not a show crop. I'd rather have a crop and flop then put him through the pain of posting when he's not healed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts