Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love hiking and want to start getting Ivan used to wearing a backpack. He's only 9 months, so I'll keep things light for now.

I like the Ruff Wear Approach Pack. Approach Pack? Dog Pack ? Backpacking Adventure Pack for Canine Hikes - from Ruff Wear

Question is - is it worth the money? Is there something more affordable that's comparable? I like that it has five point adjustable fit, waterproof zippers, etc.

If it's worth the investment, does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to purchase from?

·
Registered
337 Posts
My Weim had a pack. Axel is too young to use it for now. It was just a $40 one from Petco. It was just fine. No chafing or anything like that. The key is to get the contents on each side to balance out.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
We have an approach pack and it's very well built and worth the money. If you aren't going to fill it with things that take a lot of volume, I'd say the singletrack is the way to go, though, as the weight doesn't hang so far off the dog. The approach pack can be a little flappy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to see an Approach Pack in person so I can visualize how filled it will ultimately be once he's caring the full weight. Thanks for pointing this out!

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
It can hold a LOT. Like, think two 2 liter soda bottles and a bit of room for jelly beans and what not! You can sort of see here how voluminous it is (and it was just carrying his waterbottle, another collar, and some treats):

1 - 5 of 5 Posts