Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want to get my dobe Boss involved in Schutzhund; however, to join the club near me he has to be 15 months old and have a companion dog title through AKC(?).

However, Boss is only CKC (continental) registered and 6.5 months old.

While its obvious what I'll have to do about his age, how do I go about getting a CD title for him?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Your dog will need to perform the Novice exercises listed below.

Companion Dog (CD) - The letters CD may be added after a dog's registered name when it has been certified by three different judges as receiving qualifying scores in Novice classes at three licensed or member obedience trials.

NOVICE - For the dog just getting started in obedience. Exercises include:
◦Heel on Leash and Figure Eight - show whether the dog has learned to watch its handler and adjust its pace to stay with the handler.
◦Heel Free - done off leash.
◦Stand for Examination - is of great benefit when the dog needs hands-on care by a veterinarian.
◦Recall - provides the handler with the ability to call the dog and get an immediate response at all times.
◦Long Sit (1 minute) - allows the handler to have control of the dog when visitors come to the home.
◦Long Down (3 minutes) - dog must remain in a down position.

American Kennel Club - Obedience

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
OK I was wondering if I would have to do this.
What all is involved in the CD title?
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RO2999.pdf . On the left, click on table of contents for obedience regulations, then go to novice.

I would consider carefully the advantages of waiting until he is fully physically mature to apply for his ILP/PAL listing. Particularly for a sport like Schutzhund, it would be wise to wait to have him castrated. I suspect that the club simply wants to have you prove your intentions and committment by getting the CD... they won't want to waste their time and energy on someone with only a casual interest. It is possible that they have a Plan B or have some flexibility, since most Schutzhund folks believe that competitive dogs should be intact.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why are you against neutering him?

I suggest taking a class, with an instructor who has experience in AKC obedience. Also, you can watch videos on youtube of AKC obedience and get a feel for ring procedures, etc.

I'm just against it in general. In his closely monitored environment it is a pointless procedure. Not to mention that I feel he'd do better in schutzhund if he is intact

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm just against it in general. In his closely monitored environment it is a pointless procedure. Not to mention that I feel he'd do better in schutzhund if he is intact
Pretty much all of the Schutzhund folks I know would agree with you about intact dogs doing better. This is what made me wonder if perhaps they had a Plan B to offer you, or some flexibility with regard to the prerequisite they have set for you. Do they know you'd need to have him castrated to do what they have asked of you?

The other possibility is that this club wants you to go away, and you need to find another club. Asking you to demonstrate your sincerity by achieving an AKC obedience title makes no sense to me... Shutzhund and AKC obedience are quite different, and I think it would be counter-productive to learn AKC style obedience and then have to re-train it for your actual chosen venue. Many Schutzhund clubs are quite opinionated and snobbish with regard to the breeds they feel are appropriate for competition... many of them do not hold Dobermans in high regard, and this club may simply not want you as a member. The Doberman folks I know who do Schutzhund feel that it is very important to belong to a club where breed-specific differences in training are understood and Dobermans are both welcome and understood... and, this is not most clubs. Someone who can do an awesome job training a GSD or Mal may do a lousy job with a Doberman. Picking your club wisely is probably the best thing you can do to insure your best chance at success.

I know you mentioned "closest." I am in Michigan and know Michigan people. Some of them train locally, but no one considers it a particularly big deal to go to Kentucky or to New York a couple of times a month. "Closest" usually doesn't factor in at all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
foreign registries recognized by AKC

My dog is a foreign registered dog. There is a link, sorry I don't know how to show it here but go to AKC registrations and you'll see the CKC is recognized by the AKC and you can get AKC recognition. (For a fee of course :) )

You will have to provide copies of the CKC registration.

There is a list of country registries recognized by the AKC and CKC is one of them.

This is different than a PAL or ILP.

So, go the AKC site under registration options and I'm sure you'll find it!

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
OP's dog is Continental Kennel Club, not Canadian Kennel Club. Big difference :)

My dog is a foreign registered dog. There is a link, sorry I don't know how to show it here but go to AKC registrations and you'll see the CKC is recognized by the AKC and you can get AKC recognition. (For a fee of course :) )

You will have to provide copies of the CKC registration.

There is a list of country registries recognized by the AKC and CKC is one of them.

This is different than a PAL or ILP.

So, go the AKC site under registration options and I'm sure you'll find it!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are you sure they require a CD and not a BH(Begleithund "Companion Dog")? The minimum age to obtain this title is 15mo, but I have heard its changed recently to like 12mo, I just can't find anything on that. Every dog that competes in Schutzhund must obtain a BH first. So that would kinda make sense that they require a BH on your dog before you can "formally" join the club, although I would hope they allow you to participate and train with them to get a BH as you would most likely get it through a club trial.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure they require a CD and not a BH(Begleithund "Companion Dog")? The minimum age to obtain this title is 15mo, but I have heard its changed recently to like 12mo, I just can't find anything on that. Every dog that competes in Schutzhund must obtain a BH first. So that would kinda make sense that they require a BH on your dog before you can "formally" join the club, although I would hope they allow you to participate and train with them to get a BH as you would most likely get it through a club trial.
I looked back over their site and you are correct. it through me off because it says BH or "companion dog title" and i'd never seen BH before so I guess I just disregarded it.

So now I have to see what I have to do to get that, and it makes me feel a lot better that I won't have to cut Boss.

And for the poster who recommended traveling, I wish it were an option, but I have classes during the week and I have to train/work on the weekends as my unit is preparing to leave for Afghanistan.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I looked back over their site and you are correct. it through me off because it says BH or "companion dog title" and i'd never seen BH before so I guess I just disregarded it.

So now I have to see what I have to do to get that, and it makes me feel a lot better that I won't have to cut Boss.

And for the poster who recommended traveling, I wish it were an option, but I have classes during the week and I have to train/work on the weekends as my unit is preparing to leave for Afghanistan.
http://www.dvgamerica.com/04BHRules.pdf Here is the link.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

I'm glad you're getting some of your questions sorted, but I'm seeing some concerns about your boy's future--if you're being deployed, who will care for him and continue his training while you're gone?

Did the club explain to you how much of a time commitment SchH is? And that the training will be ongoing?

Since your male is only CKC registered, is a blue (if that's him in your avatar), and likely of unknown health background--it may very well be in his best interests for him to be neutered before you are deployed. Be a shame to have an accidental breeding, you know.

You can still compete and work him--unless you bought a dog from proven working lines, with podium dogs in the pedigree, I seriously doubt you're going to see any noticeable differences in his working aptitude and abilities, with a neuter.

The bonus is, whoever cares for him while you're gone won't have the extra responsibility of an intact animal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope we are all good on all these points. My fiancee will have him while I am gone. One of the determining factors in us choosing a protective dog and wanting to do protection dog training. I still have about 10 months before I leave so I'll be able to start his schtz training and she'll be continuing it.

I'm glad you're getting some of your questions sorted, but I'm seeing some concerns about your boy's future--if you're being deployed, who will care for him and continue his training while you're gone?

Did the club explain to you how much of a time commitment SchH is? And that the training will be ongoing?

Since your male is only CKC registered, is a blue (if that's him in your avatar), and likely of unknown health background--it may very well be in his best interests for him to be neutered before you are deployed. Be a shame to have an accidental breeding, you know.

You can still compete and work him--unless you bought a dog from proven working lines, with podium dogs in the pedigree, I seriously doubt you're going to see any noticeable differences in his working aptitude and abilities, with a neuter.

The bonus is, whoever cares for him while you're gone won't have the extra responsibility of an intact animal.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have classes during the week and I have to train/work on the weekends as my unit is preparing to leave for Afghanistan.
You should definitely check out the club if your interested, if it is a serious club and not some macho wanna be club, you will quickly see just how much of a time and energy commitment goes into this sport. A BH is great to get on any dog, heck, we even have a CH titled AKC Standard Schnauzer going for one at the club trial in November. As far as training for SchH, it takes a lot of time, a good handler, and a dog with the drive to do it. The club will most likely evaluate your dog to see if he is a candidate for SchH. If he is not, there are still things he can do, (tracking, obedience) with the club that you can work towards and take less time per week (per say) than doing SchH which means training in tracking, obedience, and protection all together.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts