Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

We have a 4 month old red Dobe named Juno, we love her!! She is a great dog, but has recently entered what I can best describe as a "restless" phase. She is constantly inside, then outside, changing toys, and being much more mischievous. We walk her daily, play with her all the time and provide her with a wide-range of toys all over the house and work with her daily on commands and other training. She absolutely LOVES other dogs! We have her enrolled in puppy day-care and she is around other dogs (including our neighbors dobe!!) all the time and seems to really enjoy the interaction. Unfortunately, our house/yard is not large enough to accommodate 2 Dobes or else we would already have another! We're playing around with the idea of getting a companion dog for her and my research led me to the German Pinscher. Has anyone heard anything about this breed? Any other breed suggestions for us? (Preferably a breed that does not shed to help with allergies)

Thanks!

Lauren/Josh

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Hi All -

We have a 4 month old red Dobe named Juno, we love her!! She is a great dog, but has recently entered what I can best describe as a "restless" phase. She is constantly inside, then outside, changing toys, and being much more mischievous. We walk her daily, play with her all the time and provide her with a wide-range of toys all over the house and work with her daily on commands and other training. She absolutely LOVES other dogs! We have her enrolled in puppy day-care and she is around other dogs (including our neighbors dobe!!) all the time and seems to really enjoy the interaction. Unfortunately, our house/yard is not large enough to accommodate 2 Dobes or else we would already have another! We're playing around with the idea of getting a companion dog for her and my research led me to the German Pinscher. Has anyone heard anything about this breed? Any other breed suggestions for us? (Preferably a breed that does not shed to help with allergies)

Thanks!

Lauren/Josh
I'd get this puppy raised and well on the way to adulthood before I even started to consider another dog.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sounds like a typical puppy to me :) dobermans are very high energy so they require a lot of excersise and mental stimulation. Another dog isn't going to fix the problem if anything you could just end up with two dogs that are the exact same way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was merely asking for breed suggestions. We know she is not an adult and have no immediate plans to get another dog. As you are all aware, getting a new dog or puppy is not a snap decision, we were just looking for feedback for when we think more seriously about adding another dog to our home in the future.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sounds like a typical puppy to me :) dobermans are very high energy so they require a lot of excersise and mental stimulation. Another dog isn't going to fix the problem if anything you could just end up with two dogs that are the exact same way.
I'd honestly go with another dobe then. Their great dogs and you've already seen your pup get along with another Doberman and what could be better then having two of these amazing dogs. But that's my opinion. I've never heard of the other dog you mentioned. I'd probably go for a non aggressive breed though if you don't want another dobe.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Her "restless" phase is called doberteens. Adding another dog, will cause you more grief. I have found males more challenging during this stage, than females or I just got lucky with my prev female.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I was merely asking for breed suggestions. We know she is not an adult and have no immediate plans to get another dog. As you are all aware, getting a new dog or puppy is not a snap decision, we were just looking for feedback for when we think more seriously about adding another dog to our home in the future.
Just a suggestion for the future, you are talking in the present about her being restless and mischevious and then asking about getting another dog. Surely, if your plans are future based when she is an adult, then there is no need to mention the present as once the dobe is over the doberteens, these behaviours will pass.
We are here to help with suggestions but at the moment, only a few of us are mind readers.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
I don't think I'd choose a German Pinscher as a companion breed to go with a Dobe. If I want it to be fairly easy I'd get a breed that was smaller, sturdy and very easy going. That is if I wasn't going to get another Dobe.

I'd also make sure I was choosing a dog of the opposite sex of the Doberman.

And even though you are only asking for breed suggestions at this time I'm going to tell you that I would not want to add another dog (of any breed or age) to the household until your first dog is around two--adding another dog goes a lot better if you aren't dealing with two similar aged young dogs--what happens in that situation is that the dogs become much more attached and responsive to each other than to the humans in their life.

I'm with Murreydobe on this...

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sounds as if you need to find more challenges for her. At 16 weeks old, I would enroll in formal training classes; puppy kindergarten or a class appropriate to her age.

IMO, I would not add another dog until she's at least 2ish.

Hi All -

We have a 4 month old red Dobe named Juno, we love her!! She is a great dog, but has recently entered what I can best describe as a "restless" phase. She is constantly inside, then outside, changing toys, and being much more mischievous.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Do understand that we see the results of poor decisions and badly thought out plans all of the time. No offence, but we have no reason to believe that you're not the average person so we are going to make some assumptions and post opinions based on them. This is a VERY opinionated group of people so if you have a hard time handling that, beware.

Her "restless phase" sounds very much like your typical puppy to me. The advice I would generally give to you after what you've said is that she needs more to do. I'd suggest finding new places you can take her a few times a week. Perhaps new parks, new stores that allow dogs. This will give her new places and faces to see, new smells to smell, and will tire her out too. I also suggest waiting until 18 - 24 months to get another dog. As these dogs mature their personalities will change a little bit and it's always good to wait to add another dog until you know your current dog's adult personality. I always also try to talk people about getting another dog if their reason is that they want a companion for the first. A dog's soul purpose in life should not be being a companion for another dog. Your dog is only one part of your family and the whole family needs to be ready for and on part with the idea of getting another dog.

As for German Pinschers, I don't think that anybody here owns one. I've heard that although they look like dobermans their personalities are completely different. Breeds that I've found to get along really well with a doberman are pits, boxers, and herding breeds (Border Collies, Australian Cattle Dogs, Australian Shepherds, Corgis, German Shepherds, etc). Definitely get a dog that is an opposite gender than your current pup, it's just easier that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know this post is old but I've had a German Pinscher before. I head or read somewhere and found out they are called the "Houdini" of dogs. And this is true. They'll find a way to get out, or where they are not supposed to. Sometimes at the risk of hurting themselves. This breed is way crazier than dobermans, just as smart but they are wild, not as trainable.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a friend who is a Doberman breeder and conformation judge of working breeds. She also has German Pinschers. My understanding is that you really need to know the breed and breeders in order to get one with a liveable temperament.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
oops... just noticed how old this thread is... just saw it - and I see that the OP must not have liked what he/she heard. DH looked into German Pinschers as a possible "downsize" as we get older, but if we got feeble enough to have to downsize, don't think a GP would be the dog for us! LOL. . . . . and this old lady is NEVER going to be a Yorkie/Pom/Maltese aficionado. But look at the folks who pair Dobes with Chihuahuas and Pugs and Fox terriers, etc...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts