Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc.regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help. You can also check out our FAQs.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my free time out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!

I am a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing regular updates to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with our community support team for just over 5 years but I have worked with forums for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,747 Posts
Cricket, thanks for your work on upgrade. I live in San Antonio as well, since '92!

I trust this new forum software will solve problem with Apple iPhone users posting pictures to forum and showing up sideways? You can search previous Admin discussions about this issue.

Also, Dark Mode is great, but Light Mode is too a harsh glare on the eye, for us old folks. Is there anyway to have a medium background color mode option, like the old Classic Doberman Talk light brown background?

Not seeing any feature equivalent to the old "User CP" (control panel)? Is that what "Lastest Activity" is under User Profile?

Last question, what is timeout setting on editing new posts, 30 min as before?

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a pleasure to meet you! :)

Not seeing any feature equivalent to the old "User CP" (control panel)? Is that what "Lastest Activity" is under User Profile?

How To Find Account Settings & Preferences

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “account settings”.

Once you have clicked on “account settings” a new page will open. You can browse through the left side column navigation for the specific settings you are looking for.

Last question, what is timeout setting on editing new posts, 30 min as before?

How To Edit A Post

Click on the 3 vertical dots to the far right of the timestamp. Select “Edit”.

Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days.

Also, Dark Mode is great, but Light Mode is too a harsh glare on the eye, for us old folks. Is there anyway to have a medium background color mode option, like the old Classic Doberman Talk light brown background?

This is something our developers will be working on in the future for us.

I trust this new forum software will solve problem with Apple iPhone users posting pictures to forum and showing up sideways? You can search previous Admin discussions about this issue.

I have not had an issue with images from my iPhone posting sideways on this forum software, but it may still happen now and then. Let me know if you see it happen.

- Cricket

·
Got mutt?
13,603 Posts
Sigh... yep. Just like the Dog Forum. Can't say as how I'm happy about it, but if I got used to it there, I guess I can get used to it here.

Reactions: dax0402 and melbrod

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s so fancy!! It will take some getting used to but I do like the Search feature. It did lose my PM replies, though. I sincerely appreciate the efforts of the tech team and all others involved. This was no small effort!!😘

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
"Members have unlimited editing of new posts for the first 24 hours after posting. Up to 10 existing posts (older than 24 hours) may be edited per week. More editing will be allowed as each of those 10 edits expires every 7 days."

When you talk about limiting editing on old posts per week, does that mean we're only allowed to use the edit function ten times a week, or can we get in to edit the same post several times without using up that limit?

I mean—if I go back and re-edit one particular post 10 times within a week, is that my limit for that week?

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s so fancy!! It will take some getting used to but I do like the Search feature. It did lose my PM replies, though. I sincerely appreciate the efforts of the tech team and all others involved. This was no small effort!!😘
You shouldn't have lost your private messages. Are you looking within conversations?

- Cricket

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
My old Eyes - is having trouble reading any of these new pages....re the new white background.
- need a color change, in overall display format

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
There is a way you can switch to dark mode, where the background is dark and the letters are white, if that helps. Click on the three dots, top far right, and scroll to the bottom to find the button.

·
Big Lil pup
6,120 Posts
OK... My 2 cents worth: I (so far) am enjoying working through and around this new forum platform. It took me a bit to login as my password reverted back to the one that I was assigned a while ago when VerticalScope handed out new ones after a data breech. No big deal, as I had saved it.

So, my one issue , which already seems to have been brought up: If find both the light and dark screens hard on the eyes. Too much contrast. Granted, I have 67 yo eyeballs that have been through cataract surgery and still require corrective lenses. Still, the formerly offered "Classic" format with the medium tone and less contrast between the screen background and the type color was a lot easier on my eyes. Plus it kind of reminded me of my Black & Tan boys and also color coordinated with the Dobes in the header! Just kidding. (Sort of...)

Oh also. Not that I am big on posting photos, but did I somehow get the idea earlier that now we should have an easier type attaching images without have to resort to a hosting site? True?

Just curious.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,747 Posts
OK... My 2 cents worth: I (so far) am enjoying working through and around this new forum platform. It took me a bit to login as my password reverted back to the one that I was assigned a while ago when VerticalScope handed out new ones after a data breech. No big deal, as I had saved it.

So, my one issue , which already seems to have been brought up: If find both the light and dark screens hard on the eyes. Too much contrast. Granted, I have 67 yo eyeballs that have been through cataract surgery and still require corrective lenses. Still, the formerly offered "Classic" format with the medium tone and less contrast between the screen background and the type color was a lot easier on my eyes. Plus it kind of reminded me of my Black & Tan boys and also color coordinated with the Dobes in the header! Just kidding. (Sort of...)

Oh also. Not that I am big on posting photos, but did I somehow get the idea earlier that now we should have an easier type attaching images without have to resort to a hosting site? True?

Just curious.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

As stated in my first post above, I'm 100% in agreement with John on the background color. Bring on the classic DT tan, that's easy on the old folks eyes (like mine)!

Photo posting without using a hosting site (e.g. Flickr) will there be a limit on cumulative size and/or number of photos a member can post? Many DT members have migrated from PhotoBucket to Flickr then to Flickr Pro subscription, due to subscription levys and photo limits on free memberships. IMO, this new forum photo hosting, is the best new feature of the forum software, just behind ability to edit one's posts, past the previous 30 minute timeout. 3rd best feature is improved editing capability and ease using the post composure box.

Worst new feature is navigation around new XenForo forum software, somewhat confusing and cluttered, but we'll get used to it, I hope? Now, forum threads have been renamed "discussions", and posts are now "messages" and PM's are "conversations" which is a better description, but causing some of the confusion, due to old habits.

Here is old DT Help Desk thread discussing photo orientation issue from iPhones:
Uploaded Picture Orientation

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's talk about images for a moment...

First, I have a feeling you will find it a lot easier. You can post as many images as you want (you may be limited to how many in a single post) and the maximum image can be up to 20MB so you are not likely to have any issues whatsoever with that.

You can copy/paste or drag/drop images into the content area of the text editor, or if you prefer, you can use the insert image icon. (Instructions below.)

How To Upload Images To Posts

Start your post and normal and then click on the insert image icon.

It will pop up telling you to drag an image there or click. If you drag and drop it, you will see it show up in your post. If you click, it will allow you to navigate to where it is on your computer.

Then just click the image so it adds the file name for you, then click on open.

Finish adding any content and then simply post your reply.

- Cricket

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I don't know what I clicked on but all of a sudden it says I'm Registered? Registered-means what? And are all these ads part of the new forum look? Is there any way to get rid of them and how much does it cost?

dobebubg
As stated in my first post above, I'm 100% in agreement with John on the background color. Bring on the classic DT tan, that's easy on the old folks eyes (like mine)!

Photo posting without using a hosting site (e.g. Flickr) will there be a limit on cumulative size and/or number of photos a member can post? Many DT members have migrated from PhotoBucket to Flickr then to Flickr Pro subscription, due to subscription levys and photo limits on free memberships. IMO, this new forum photo hosting, is the best new feature of the forum software, just behind ability to edit one's posts, past the previous 30 minute timeout. 3rd best feature is improved editing capability and ease using the post composure box.

Worst new feature is navigation around new XenForo forum software, somewhat confusing and cluttered, but we'll get used to it, I hope? Now, forum threads have been renamed "discussions", and posts are now "messages" which is a better description, but causing some of the confusion, due to old habits.

Here is old DT Help Desk thread discussing photo orientation issue from iPhones:
Uploaded Picture Orientation
I think the new software is really confusing and very cluttered. I have incredibly difficulty trying to get "new posts" really give me new posts. I write a lot (or used to) on the "Girls Outside" thread--and new posts opens with the first post from 2003 (or something like that--I have no idea how to go back and look at an existing post to verify something like a date and not lose whatever part of a message I've already typed)--what I really want is the most recent posts--how do I do that--presently I am wandering (very lost) until I accidently find myself at the end of the thread (or whatever it's called these days) and can accidently go back through posts to where I want to be--and I still don't know what exactly allows me to back up through a thread (is that what you call a message--I thought that was the new name for a post) to some intermediate point--not the very beginning but someplace in between.

I apologize for what must be my very stupid questions but I really just don't want to give up on on DT--but because I spend most of my time trying to navigate the new look that if there are new questions or help I might provide I'm ending up not finding them. It was so easy when I could call up new posts and I actually got the new posts and could scan through them quickly and see where I could provide answers (or ask more questions) and go on to the next thing. I sure can't find an easy way to do that with this new software.

And I'm another who really greatly preferred the tan and brown color combo--it was much easier for me read--both the light (black on white) and the dark(white on black) remind me of the very old lime green or yellow on black which gave me headaches.

As a Luddite even the vocabulary is starting to be "all greek" to me.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know what I clicked on but all of a sudden it says I'm Registered? Registered-means what?

Under your username/avatar in threads, it displays your user group. Member, Premium, Vendor, Moderator, Super Moderator, or admin. It just means you are a registered member.

And are all these ads part of the new forum look? Is there any way to get rid of them and how much does it cost?

I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads.

As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

Although the forum community will remain free for all, there is a Premium Membership available for this who may be interested. (19.99/year)

I think the new software is really confusing and very cluttered. I have incredibly difficulty trying to get "new posts" really give me new posts. I write a lot (or used to) on the "Girls Outside" thread--and new posts opens with the first post from 2003 (or something like that--I have no idea how to go back and look at an existing post to verify something like a date and not lose whatever part of a message I've already typed)--what I really want is the most recent posts--how do I do that--presently I am wandering (very lost) until I accidently find myself at the end of the thread (or whatever it's called these days) and can accidently go back through posts to where I want to be--and I still don't know what exactly allows me to back up through a thread (is that what you call a message--I thought that was the new name for a post) to some intermediate point--not the very beginning but someplace in between.
Change is always hard. It was for me too. It's much easier than it first seems though. Everything you need to navigate the site is in the 4 icons in the upper right-hand corner.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

I apologize for what must be my very stupid questions but I really just don't want to give up on on DT--but because I spend most of my time trying to navigate the new look that if there are new questions or help I might provide I'm ending up not finding them. It was so easy when I could call up new posts and I actually got the new posts and could scan through them quickly and see where I could provide answers (or ask more questions) and go on to the next thing. I sure can't find an easy way to do that with this new software.

Your questions are not at all stupid. It's all new to us. Click the NEW icon in the upper right-hand corner.

And I'm another who really greatly preferred the tan and brown color combo--it was much easier for me read--both the light (black on white) and the dark(white on black) remind me of the very old lime green or yellow on black which gave me headaches.

At this time, we only have the option of dark mode or light mode. Our developers will be working on more options for us in the future.

As a Luddite even the vocabulary is starting to be "all greek" to me.

In the site FAQs, the very first thing at the top is help for understanding the different labels for things we do on the site.

- Cricket

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Under your username/avatar in threads, it displays your user group. Member, Premium, Vendor, Moderator, Super Moderator, or admin. It just means you are a registered member.

I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads.

As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

Although the forum community will remain free for all, there is a Premium Membership available for this who may be interested. (19.99/year)

Change is always hard. It was for me too. It's much easier than it first seems though. Everything you need to navigate the site is in the 4 icons in the upper right-hand corner.

How To Find New Posts

Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts.

On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics. You can also mark all as read.

Your questions are not at all stupid. It's all new to us. Click the NEW icon in the upper right-hand corner.

At this time, we only have the option of dark mode or light mode. Our developers will be working on more options for us in the future.

In the site FAQs, the very first thing at the top is help for understanding the different labels for things we do on the site.

- Cricket
Thanks for trying to help--some of what you explained made sense but for the record, clicking on NEW does not give me new unread posts--it starts me back at the very beginning of SP's "Girls outside thread--what is a thread called now?--I couldn't find that in the vocabulary changes). Further clicking on unread doesn't seem to do anything.

I dunno'? I'll keep trying but it's sure a painful process.

dobebug/ABTLH

·
Administrator
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It will take a bit for the new software to catch up with what you have and haven't read. Once it does, clicking the title will take you to the first unread post.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.

- Cricket

1 - 20 of 37 Posts