Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What commands should Azura be learning? I think I've pretty much made a mistake by not really teaching her much since I've had her and figure it's time to get to it.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,258 Posts
If you're teaching Azura simply to help her fit in to human society, you may end up with a different list of necessary commands than the dog that is being taught formal obedience, and I imagine each person's list of what she needs to know is a little bit different, depending on what kind of lifestyle their dog is expected to lead.

So here's my list of things I want my dog to know:

1. Come--self explanatory. Not necessarily a formal come to sit in front of me and stare up at my face, but the dog needs to stop what he is doing quickly and come close enough for long enough that I can grab his collar.
2. Walk nicely on a leash--not necessarily right at my side, but without pulling. I want him to pay attention to what I am doing so he goes at my speed in the direction I am going.
3. Down--or some other chill out and relax type command. Can be used when you want the dog to be quiet and patient, both when you are out and about, and when you're home, as in a "go to your bed" command while you eat dinner.
4. Wait--until I tell the dog he can do something else like jump out of the car, or go out the door, or push past me when I'm on the stairs with an armload of clothes. It's not a true stay command because the dog can move around in its place a little, but I do not want it to move significantly away from its place.
5. Drop it or Leave it--a way to control what goes into the dog's mouth, even at a distance.
6. Off--the furniture, or the bed, or a chair or ME
7. Quiet--stop barking, now. It would be nice to have a stop whining command, but that one seems to be tough to teach. LOL

That's all I can think of at the moment. But I think if a dog has a decent knowledge of these commands, he'll fit smoothly into almost any household.

·
Registered
370 Posts
And adding to the ones above:

Stay

Sit

Heel - I say this when I want my girl right at my leg walking the same speed as I am

Enough- kind of a general, stop what ever your doing ( rough housing , etc etc ) and just relax whether its laying down or just walk around the house doing normal stuff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts