Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dobe is about 6 months old. I keep trying to teach her not to do things like getting on the couch, digging in the yard, and a few other things. She just doesn't seem to listen. Will this go away as she gets older? Also, she runs around all the time to play with our min pin----ALL THE TIME. Will she grow out of playing constantly and cool down sometimes? Thanks for the help. I had labs all of my life and I know it is a night/day difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
She just doesn't seem to listen. Will this go away as she gets older?
Not without consistent training. Have you enrolled her in any obedience classes?

Will she grow out of playing constantly and cool down sometimes?
Dobermans do require a great amount of exercise. Both mental and physical. They are full of energy and need to release it. Maybe try a nice long walk with her to tire her out.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
she runs around all the time to play with our min pin----ALL THE TIME
Duchess played 24/7 when she went to visit her golden retriever friend. Even though she got plenty plenty of excersise...they just constantly tackled wrestled, chase, pounce, vocalize...and she grew out of it...she is two now...I forget when about they stopped feeling the need to constantly play...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off, thanks for the help. She gets lots of exercise; we take her for long walks about 3-5 times a week. The only thing though is that I work at night and my wife works during the day, so there is about 16 hours out of the day that she is by herself. But we try to spend as much time as we can. Micdobe, she shreds things too. I figure dogs will be dogs. Even though they have a buttload of toys.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is frustrating. I used to allow my dogs on the couch, but stopped it when after the second sofa couch was ruined. Since we live on the beach, we have several areas where guests can sleep. Since Mako kept using the den couch as a bed she was tearing the upholstering and it was starting to smell. So we had to stop it and she did great. She does have her own bed though. Dixie may be doing this because she misses you. You cannot help the hours that you work, but Dixie does not know this. That is a great deal of time without people in her life.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My girl is getting a lot better at things as she gets older so I do think they will outgrow some things. But she still has some bad habits and at 14 months I am not sure she will ever be totally trustworthy.

My male was a great younger pup, didn't bother shoes or anything but he is starting his naughtiness as of late, he is 6 months old. He isn't near as destructive as Da'Kari ever was though.

As for digging, either a dog is a digger or he isn't, but it is in their nature to dig I guess LOL so that may be a little harder to break. Da'Kari digs, Nash doesn't. They both love the couch, I now wish I had never allowed it because Nash is chewing on the throw cushions that go on the couch. Other than that I don't mind them being up there.

·
Banned
675 Posts
You should not leave any puppy, let alone a Doberman puppy, loose in the house while you are away, especially if you're away all day, like at work. Monte is one year old, and he's been crated every day when I go to work. The house would be a shambles when I got home if he wasn't. He's allowed on the furniture when I'm here, otherwise he's crated. Eventually I expect he will be reliable in the house, but I don't expect it until about the age of two, altho there's some variation by individual Doberman in that.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
DaKari said:
My male was a great younger pup, didn't bother shoes or anything but he is starting his naughtiness as of late, he is 6 months old. He isn't near as destructive as Da'Kari ever was though.
micdobe said:
You should not leave any puppy, let alone a Doberman puppy, loose in the house while you are away, especially if you're away all day, like at work. Monte is one year old, and he's been crated every day when I go to work. The house would be a shambles when I got home if he wasn't. He's allowed on the furniture when I'm here, otherwise he's crated. Eventually I expect he will be reliable in the house, but I don't expect it until about the age of two, altho there's some variation by individual Doberman in that.
Hahah, so true so true. Although, mine dont get on the couch unless there is a blanket there, and I have never caught them up there without one (knock on wood) They have been super about that. Now the chair.........thats another ballgame, I think they think it is theirs. I dont mind though, because the chair is upholstered, the couch is leather...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I never leave my dogs uncrated when I leave the house to go somewhere, but I have walked outside if the doorbell rang or to feed the fish or something and that is when they have gotten into meaness, which is only a few minutes, or if I go upstairs and they are asleep and I don't want to disturb them, my dogs are by my side unless I step out in the front yard where they can't go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean, what else am I to do. I get home, my wife wakes up then goes to work, then I have to go to sleep. She is in the house, so its not like I leave her outside in the heat all day long. I even leave the TV on Animal Planet for her to watch.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Maybe the question should be, why did you get her if you can't spend much time with her?

I don't think a walk 3-5 times a week is enough for a six month old Doberman puppy. They should get out for a walk once a day at least. As someone else said they also need mental stimulation. It would be good for her to be enrolled in a basic obedience class, and maybe agility classes later when she is old enough. Another way of exercising her that really lets off a lot of steam is taking them to a dog park.

This is the way the breed is. They are energetic, intelligent, easily bored, and tightly bonded to their humans. These are some of the things I love about the breed, but they are also somoe of the things that make them not the right breed for everybody.

The digging and shredding things is typical behavior, and should get less as she matures, but it's a good idea to keep reinforcing to her that it is not acceptable behavior.

I also don't understand why you have to go to sleep as soon as you get home. I live alone and I work. I don't go to sleep as soon as I get home. I still have time for obedience classes, walks, etc.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Travis, the thing that you have to remember is that training is a constant thing. I have caught myself on several occasions slacking, but I try to always remember that they will only learn what I want from them through my consistency. In other words, if you don’t want them on the couch, you must NEVER EVER allow them on it "just this once" because I’m busy and don't have time to deal with it.

My dogs pretty much know not to run around in the house, but every now and again, they "forget", and what I do, is tell them "Enough", if you say it loud enough, you will get their attention.....Then immediately give them a command they know....like sit, or lay down....I figured out that by startling them the attention and focus immediately goes to me, then by giving them another command, they are required to break the focus of going back to the roughhousing. It usually works, not always, but most of the time. If it doesn't, start over....they will get the idea. Now, they know when I say “Enough” they are about to have to do something, so they better pay attention.

The problem with smart breeds, is that they have to be challenged, they have to have a job, something to look forward to, something to wear them out mentally and physically, or they will find other ways of doing it themselves. It is our job as owners to make sure that they get that exercise and mental challenge that they are seeking. Obedience Training (even if in your backyard) Agility, and various other dog sports are excellent outlets for them.

I understand that things do happen where you cant ALWAYS be there for your dog as much as you would like, but it sounds like your puppy does need more exercise than she is getting. You would be surprised what a different dog you would have if you could take 20 minutes of a morning and evening, and just take her outside and wear her out. I bet it would change dramatically. I don’t think I would be content watching TV all day either :(

Also, My 7 month old puppy is a digger as well, a member on here told me to fill the spots that they dig with their own poop, and cover it back up....so far, it has worked, you may want to try it.

Good Luck, Don't Give Up.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Micdobe, I believe he goes right to bed because he works nights. It is common, and a not a good practice.

Travis, I work nights also. I go home and still spend time with my dogs. We work on training in the backyard in the mornings when I get home. It really doesn't take that long and runs them down quicker then playing. The mornings are better because we beat the heat of the day. Then we do it again in the evenings when I get up. When you get home from work, it is always good practice to calm yourself down from the night and relax. It helps you to relax and get a better sleep for the day. Shift work is not easy in the first place, but there is no reason that you can't adjust your schedules better with a new puppy. Mine know my schedule and stay up half the night with me on my nights off. They also know that I sleep during the day. But they are already worn out from the play and training, so they sleep most of the time.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We have a night, day situation here as well, on the days were working this is what we do. When I get home the dog and I go outside because there is no way I can go to bed immediately. We hit the backyard until my dogs tongue is hanging out from playing ball and reinforcing training. Come in for a cool drink for the both of us and off to snoozy land. When the other half gets home he takes the dog for a walk and then they snuggle on the COUCH (nasty word) oh well :) lol and they have supper piddle around for abit and then they go to bed. Just a suggestion what works for us.

·
Registered
275 Posts
travischamp said:
First off, thanks for the help. She gets lots of exercise; we take her for long walks about 3-5 times a week. The only thing though is that I work at night and my wife works during the day, so there is about 16 hours out of the day that she is by herself. But we try to spend as much time as we can. Micdobe, she shreds things too. I figure dogs will be dogs. Even though they have a buttload of toys.
I don't see how a husband and wife working opposite shifts is any different than a husband and wife working the same shift (or partners, or common law spouses or roommates or whatever) Either way you're working for 8 hours and sleeping for 8 hours. I assume my dogs are pretty much sleeping all day when my wife and i are gone and i know they are pretty much sleeping all night when we are sleeping - so there's your 16 hours. Find time when you are both home (evenings work best for us) to spend with your pets.

As others said, consistent training is the only way to curb these bad habits. I just recently added a second dog to the family and the two of them want to play all the time as well. Only thing we are doing is to give them individual time with us (so they realize they are not the only bodies in the house) and limit the areas where they can play together (i.e. outside only). If they try and play inside, you have to break it up. Tiring your Dobe out as much as possible (playing, training, running, walking) is the best way to stop her from wanting to play with your little Min pin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
308 Posts
16 hours alone

is way to long a time for a puppy or any dog to be alone. Is that what you meant? Or does that include time when both of your are sleeping?

3 - 5 times a week for walking is not enough exercise. You should be going out every day.

I would recommend a walk in the morning and one when you return from work. Perhaps you and your wife could share the duty.

Dobermans have lots of energy and you need to find a way to stimulate them in a positive way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts