Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on january 9th 2014 i brought home a 13 reek old doberman puppy we named her pandora. i had always wanted a doberman did all the reserch i could on the breed and the ownership of a large dog. she had her ears cropped with the breder and had a little infection but all turned out well we started posting her ears at 15 weeks when her ears were fully healed. and last week they stood for a full 24 hours befor having to repost we took her to puppy classes and to the dog park a few times a week to socalize her with other dogs and people she was doing great she was the best dog i had ever had. friday night around 4:45 she went out side to go to the bathroom a few moments later she vomited and was not her self she crawled under the bed we had to move the bed to get her out she had pain in her stomic. this all happened in 5 or 6 minutes we took her to the emergincy vet we were there by 5:00pm at 10 we had to transfer her to a diffrent vet because there system went down we were there by 10:45 at 2:30 am they told us she had passed from anaphylactic shock. and that her heart gave out. they said it was from a bug bite or sting i didnt even know that dogs could have that bad of a reaction to it. we had her 1 week short of 2 months she died on the day she turned 5 months old
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,607 Posts
god, that's awful. i'm so sorry to hear that. :(

i'm curious, where do you live? are you somewhere that venomous snakes are a risk?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,803 Posts
Yes, dogs can be allergic to anything, and a bite can cause severe reactions.

You did everything you could for her, RIP sweet girl :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
So sorry to read this. I can't imagine. This is so awful. I am so sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,607 Posts
i live in northern california it was raining out so i dont think it was a snake or even a bee or wasp
could have been a snake, for sure. :\ particularly if the pup was unsupervised in the yard and went sniffing somewhere a snake had been hiding.

have you decided to get a necropsy done? i would seriously consider it, if only to put my mind at ease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I'm do sorry for your loss. Poor puppy. That's scary to think a sting or bite can end a dogs life so quick... Though I guess it's like us humans and serious allergies. I myself have to carry an epi pin because if I have shellfish at all I go into shock immediately.
Sorry you and your family had to go through this. Truly heartbreaking


Sent from Petguide.com Free App9261299997793325440275
 

·
Alpha schmalpha
Joined
·
3,923 Posts
Sorry for your loss . If it is still possible i would try to narrow down the Cause of Death , this type of loss can haunt any future pets you bring into your home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Yikes! Sorry for your loss. Anything could cause anaphylaxis.

I know I'm overprotective at times but we don't let our young or old dogs out without supervision. I'm more lax with our well trained adults.
 

·
joie de vivre
Joined
·
11,198 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
The title of your thread says it all. How very shocking and sad. I hope you can some small comfort in knowing that you gave your sweet girl the best life you could in the time she had with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss and so unexpected.

I think all dogs are allergic just like us, I do carry with me at all times pills for my little poodle because he is allergic to bees' sting and these pills prevent him from getting into anaphylactic shock and give me time to get to the vet.

I was very lucky the first time it happened, because was here at home, I was here, saw him looking strange and difficulty breeding, within 7 minutes I was at the vet, she gave him some injections and within 30 minutes he was nearly back to his normal self.
 

·
Always Grateful
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
I'm so sorry for your terrible loss. This is a sad reminder to me to make sure I have an antihistamine in my emergency kit and to make sure it is not outdated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you for all of your support
when we went to the vet she said a snake bite would have localized swelling and tisue dammage and there was none
i reed what i could find on it and it said the sensetivity could be passed down from the parents but that is very rare
i think if it would not have happened when it did it would have eventually happened i am just glad we were there whith her and were able to say good bye even know we thought we would get to see her again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
That is very, very heartbreaking. Years ago my sister brought over to me an 8 week old Min. Schnauzer puppy. While the pup was outside and my sister with her, little Heidi stuck her face in a fire ant mound. My sister came back in running and using combs we were getting ants out of her beard (one reason I don't like bearded dogs). Then her face started swelling up so much her eyes were almost closed and she was in definite pain.

I sister left her with me and she ran into town, but called me on the way to the next town for nothing in our small town was open on Sunday night. Sis came back with three types of Benadryl, but by that time the swelling had started going down and Heidi recovered fully.

It can happen in an instant. When my red boy Jake was a puppy, he did the same thing, and I was only about 3 feet away, but since I was right there with him he only got a few stings before I brushed them all off.

It could also have been something she ate. We all know that dogs, especially puppies will eat anything.
 

·
DobieToons
Joined
·
308 Posts
I'm wonder spider bite too.

I lost a St. Bernard 12 week old pup within hours of a brown recluse bite in the under arm pit while the pup was asleep in the bedroom floor.

Why does life have to be so harsh to these innocent young bundles of pure happiness?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top