Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For parasite prevention, I have always used Heartguard and a separate flea/tick treatment (was frontline, then bravecto, now simparica). Has anyone switched to the new combination formulas like simparica trio and have reviews good/bad/indifferent?
I believe the heartworm preventative in simparica trio is effective against a larger variety of parasites.
Also interested in reviews of interceptor vs heartguard. ETA reading through the sticky now.
My vet sticks heartguard, simparica, and simparica trio, but is happy to prescribe a different product if requested.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
For parasite prevention, I have always used Heartguard and a separate flea/tick treatment (was frontline, then bravecto, now simparica). Has anyone switched to the new combination formulas like simparica trio and have reviews good/bad/indifferent?
I believe the heartworm preventative in simparica trio is effective against a larger variety of parasites.
Also interested in reviews of interceptor vs heartguard.
My vet sticks heartguard, simparica, and simparica trio, but is happy to prescribe a different product if requested.
My preference is for singular rather than combo products. I presently use Interceptor Plus--I prefer the products that use milbemycin as the heartworm control and it also will take care of round worm, hook worm and whip worm. And I use a topical (usually Advantage Plus) for flea control.

I don't really like the internal flea controls--they depend on the flea biting or being eaten by the dog. And some of the internal flea controls are not terribly effect and others--like the spinosad used in Trifexis sometimes cause the dog to vomit up his very expensive heartworm protection.

There is really nothing wrong with heartguard it's just not as effective against as many things as some of the other products.

The Interceptor Plus is as close as I can get to the original Intercepter which I used for years--the Plus is the control for a couple of types of tape worm.

One of the reasons I'm not crazy about products that are supposed to do everything is that if my dog reacts to one of them I'm not going to know which one is causing that so I'd rather stick to products with fewer ingredients rather than more.

dobebug

·
Got mutt?
13,726 Posts
I'm another one who likes to use different medications instead of combo ones. I use a generic ivermectin/pyrantal based heartworm preventative and NexGuard as needed for fleas. The idea of "one pill for everything" is understandable, but I prefer to use "X for this, and Y for that" even with human medication.

·
Big Lil pup
6,230 Posts
I use Trifexis. I have for years. Unlike some dogs, ours have never vomited up the med, regardless of how it is dosed. I simply give it like a treat... Once a month... No problem. Also I don't worry about ticks where we live. Over the years I have spent countless hours in the Pacific NW wilderness and have never discovered a tick on me or any of my Dobes.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Incase you are into using basic molecules, Ivermectin is a very effective broad spectrum anti-parasitic drug. (I am not sure, but chances are that the brands you mention, have it as its active compound). Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Incase you are into using basic molecules, Ivermectin is a very effective broad spectrum anti-parasitic drug. (I am not sure, but chances are that the brands you mention, have it as its active compound). Best wishes.
Ivermectin is a perfectly good heartworm control--it's also pretty effective on round worm and hook worm but whip worm, which we never used to have in the Pacific Northwest, is sometimes difficult to diagnose and Ivermectin doesn't really be effective (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) which is why I use and prefer the milbemycin based heart worm etc . Three times in the last 20 years I've moved into houses that had yards with whip cysts in the soil (where they can remain for years) and had to make sure I was using something that controlled the whip worm.

Actually I used to use Heart Gard and originally switched to the milbemycin based products because I had an Australian Shepherd and many of the herding breeds have adverse reactions to ivermectin. Now there is a gene test for the reactors but there wasn't then. Reactors would still react even to the milbemycin but at least it didn't kill them.

dobebug

·
Registered
1 Posts
If possible, try to protect your pet from other animals that may become potential carriers of fleas. I use a collar for my dog instead of drops.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
If possible, try to protect your pet from other animals that may become potential carriers of fleas. I use a collar for my dog instead of drops.
If you are talking about the kind of flea collar made by Bayer--Seresto collars--grey plastic, last for 8 months--work on fleas and ticks and are available for both dogs and cats. THESE WORK! (The is one that works on ticks for dogs only that works but can't be used on cats) As far as the rest of the collar types--forget it. Over the years I've tried them all but the Seresto's do work.

But Bayer's Advantage and Advantage II have worked for me for fleas and I still use it for my allergic to everything cat when we found out he was reacting to the Seresto collar.

dobebug

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
My vet also prefers Interceptor, for the reasons Bug mentioned. I do Interceptor and Bravecto. That's working well for us. Plus I do skip the very deep winter months for flea/tick here in MN. That's getting to be a shorter time to skip now, but it does give them a little time off.

Reactions: Tobester and LadyDi

·
Registered
9 Posts
My breeder recommended Interceptor Plus and NexGard, my vet prefers Simparica Trio but would write a Rx for Interceptor and NexGard if we choose that. Simparica seems to have lot of happy customers on google, not sure which way we'll go..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts