Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all. I have just taken on a 'nearly 7 year old' dobe. She is a red, I think, although advertised as Chocolate?. She has an amazing temperment, is a stunning looking dog and very well behaved. Her previous owner no longer had the time to spend on her and one of their other dogs had recently gone blind so she made the hard decision to rehome Amber.

Unfortunately it appears that she has a condition, which I have made enquiries about, I now believe is 'Colour Mutant Alopecia'. from the middle of her back to her tail, she has patches of baldness and flaky dry skin.

I would appreciate it if someone who either has a dog with the same condition or someone who is aware of the condition could advise me and whether they have found anything that helps the condition.

I do intend to take her this week to the RSPCA to have her Microchipped, Vaccinated and the usual 'once over'. We also have other animals, a Dalmation called Oliver who adores her. 14 Bunnies (reg breeder), 12 Ferrets, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 fish tanks - - - oh and three children :) x x

Look forward to hearing from you. Take Care KarrieNic xxxxx

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have heard of color dilution alopecia before. Blues and fawns get it. Not sure about reds (aka browns).

I would suggest getting her thyroid tested for hypothyroidism. That can also cause hair loss and Dobermans are known for having it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Welcome Karrie from Orson and me in Indiana!

I would think that Color Dilute Alopecia would not be common in Reds because I don't believe they are considered a Dilute. Blues and Fawns are dilutes, Blue is a dilute of Blacks, and fawns are dilutes of Reds.......if I understand the concept right :)

Hair loss can be different things......(I have learned :D)
What type of food does your girl eat? (food allergies can cause skin/coat problems)
Do you suppliment with fish oil or anything? (something I had to start with Orson because of the winter weather)
Depending on where you live, the itchy dry skin can be caused by dry winter weather. The furnace dries out the air inside and a humidifier can help.
Do not overbath, and use a very mild shampoo when you do bath her.

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Hi KarrieNic,

Interesting that you've come up with Color Mutant Alopecia as an explanation for the hair loss on your new addition. There must be a web site out there with this on it.

Strictly speaking as a couple of other people have just posted what Doberman's have is CDA or Color Dilution Alopecia and is the hair loss that is seen in fawns and blues (in Dobe's and a few other breeds).

The color of your bitch is actually brown (it is called red in North America but brown in almost all other countries) and genetically that is the correct color. Chocolate is not a color term usually used for Dobes.

Occasionally brown dogs (or red if you live were I do) will come up with a condition that is very similar to CDA in the dilute Dobes but it is rather more likely that the hair loss is due to hypothyroidism. This is quite common in Dobermans and the pattern of hair loss you describe is rather typical for a hypothyroid dog.

I'd recommend a full thyroid panel--T4 as well as free T4 (or T4 by ED) and TSH to see if that is the problem. If her thyroid levels turn out to be low the medication for most low thyroid problems is cheap and effective.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
I have seen that condition in a few red Dobermans (although as the others said, it's not CDA in a red Doberman. I believe there is another called flank alopecia - that's what I thought of it as). One of mine looked like that, and probably started around the age of 6 or so but she didn't actually become hypothyroid until she was 9 or 10.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW :) This is amazing, many thanks for your replies, this will certainly give me some extra thoughts to take to the vets and I will of course keep you all informed.

It had also been suggested that it could be a food associated problem. When I contacted her previous owner, she was very vague as to her diet and basically said that she 'wasn't a fussy dog' and 'ate a dried complete stuff'. This obviously has not helped much. My other dog eats a complete dried food which suits his needs and so far Amber is coping well with the change and it is this that I am basing my hopes on at the moment. Vets appointment is in the morning.

It would be benificial also if there is a cure or at least a medication that can aid the condition. She does not seem at all bothered by it, she does not scratch or seem even aware of it, so I am hopeful that there is something I can do.
Thanks Again :)
Karrie & Amber.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Chelsie has flank alopecia and this is another reason we have gone to raw feed as we think it was the dried food additives that was causing her condition.
The browns are sometimes called chocolate's here although very rarely.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It would be benificial also if there is a cure or at least a medication that can aid the condition. She does not seem at all bothered by it, she does not scratch or seem even aware of it, so I am hopeful that there is something I can do.
If it is hypothyroidism, it easy and cheap to treat.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I don't know what you call a "complete dried food" but if you bought it in a grocery store then it is probably not a good food. Even the best foods in grocery stores are very lacking and complete with fillers that your dog can be allergic to. Corn is one of the main culprits. What brand do you feed?
Even if your dobe is not allergic to her food, she can greatly benefit from one of the preminium foods.
Here is a site that I try to pass on as often as possible. It has great information. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If your pup has Alopecia or a form of. ( a skin test--not a scrape can confirm) Resuts come back from the lab in a week or two. Alopecia is not life threatening. A dog is not even aware of it.

This is new on the DPCA web. One of the ingredients Melatonin comes up in use on various Alopecia sites. I would still run this by your vet. God luck, keep us informed.
REMEDY FOR ALOPECIA

Permission granted by Logan Catalfu to post on this site

Remedy for hair loss, especially in blue and fawn Dobermans

B 50 ........................................................ 1 tablet twice daily

Folic Acid 400mcg................................. 2 tablets twice a day

Melatonin 1mg ...................................... 1 tablet twice a day

Fish Oil 1000mg................................... 1 capsule twice a day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOME

Copyright ©2003 All rights reserved
what is copyright? An easy guide to copyright laws written by an attorney
Use of images, photos, graphics or text is prohibited without written authorization
from DPCA Breeder Education

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
(QUOTE) (UNHarrie) CDA is in Blue and Fawn dobes.( as well as my other breed IGs) What you are describing sounds like either a thyroid problem or poor quality food ( or both)

Color mutant alopecia is a condition of the coat associated with blue (dilute black) or fawn (dilute brown) coat colors. It affects blue, and occasionally red, Doberman Pinschers. Despite the name, other breeds can have a hair loss linked to coat color.
Keep an open mind. This can and does occur in reds. Its genetics and can be passed on. It can go back generations.
Blood tests (can show a thyroid condition) and skin biopsy (can show alopecia). Easiest fix is the thyroid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well hi to all again. Vet's trip complete, and as expected I would have to do, I went through the limited background that I have been given from Amber's previous owner.

The vet then suggested a couple of skin samples, blood sample and also apparently it could be due to her being an unspayed bitch producing high levels of eastrogen, and therefore resulting in the loss of hair.

Can I just confirm here that I have only had Amber since Friday the 2nd of March, the hairloss has therefore been there well before this period, and as for her 'diet' at this time, I can only guess that she was fed a variety of food that accounted to very little going on her weight. I have been advised to keep her on the food that I have started her on as this so far has agreed with her. This has put my Dalmation, Oliver's nose out of joint as he has less than her :)

The plan now is to await for the sample results, book her in for spaying (and at the same time to have the large lump under her chin removed - which I have now been informed is non-threatening), and hopefully build her weight back up.

One definate improvement, I am pleased to announce though is that Amber, despite being docked has raised her 'tail' and happily waves it from side to side when she greets me in the mornings. This was a great thing to see and pleased me no end :)

Take Care
Karrie & Amber

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I hope all the tests come back good and the problem can be solved with good care and food :)

It's good to hear that she is starting to be excited to see you, I know that IS a good feeling.....we have went through the 'gaining trust' period with a few rescue dogs. Once you have it though, it's yours for keeps :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
My red girl has dry skin and some hair loss, and has finally been diagnosed with severe dust mite allergies. We went through at least a half dozen foods in the past two years, trying to eliminate the things the vet thought likely (corn, soy, beef, poultry, dairy...) and finally paid for bloodwork. No "outdoor" allergies - but her dust mite results were over triple what a "significant" score is. Significant in this testing was 150 or higher - she scored 500. She's now on allergy shots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts