Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a great question for everyone...

I've been researching this breed for years now and am ready to own a dobe. But over the years, many have stated that the colors sometimes *strangly* relate to the personalities. This is perhaps also referenced with pomeranians (the breed I have as of right now and have owned for years on end)...example the black and tan poms like my rescue Minnie, are known to be the sweetest temperments out of the rest of the colors.

Does anyone agree with this? I've heard reds can be the goofiest, blues being the ones with the most attitude, black and tans being the most protective, and so on and so fourth. Opinions?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
hmmm I never heard anything about that. Out of the characteristic for each color I guess Duchess is more protective then lol...although if she is expecting people she knows to come in and out of the house...sometimes she wont even get up off the couch! lol

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've never Heard anything about this before. Holly is very Goofy as of right now though lol. I always Hear Reds get alot Taller then the other Colors. Which is completely crazy to me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I havent heard this either. My dad had a black pom. he was a mean little turd no doubt. but i also come across a yellow colored one the other day....he/she was soo sweet, i just feel in love. I only had a min. to speak they were sittin in a truck in the parking lot of food lion. my hubbys uncle curtis has one of the yellow looking ones but hes old and blind....but hes a sweet guy too.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vegas&Reno said:
I havent heard this either. My dad had a black pom. he was a mean little turd no doubt. but i also come across a yellow colored one the other day....he/she was soo sweet, i just feel in love. I only had a min. to speak they were sittin in a truck in the parking lot of food lion. my hubbys uncle curtis has one of the yellow looking ones but hes old and blind....but hes a sweet guy too.
With the breed of poms blacks are supposed to be the meanest (from the "census, that is). Oranges are the most typical pom personalities with a little of all of the above. :) I have two oranges and one black and tan.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I know tons of Dobermans, reds, blacks, fawns, & a blue. Each individual dog is different in some ways, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their coat colour. A Dobe is a Dobe, and colour does not play in to personality or temperament. One of the most protective Dobermans I know is a fawn, all of the blacks are just as goofy as the reds, and the blue doesn't have an attitude. Very laid back, and easy going. Takes everything as it comes very well. I'm pretty sure that this colour=personality thing that you heard is just a myth.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dober_addict said:
I know tons of Dobermans, reds, blacks, fawns, & a blue. Each individual dog is different in some ways, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their coat colour. A Dobe is a Dobe, and colour does not play in to personality or temperament. One of the most protective Dobermans I know is a fawn, all of the blacks are just as goofy as the reds, and the blue doesn't have an attitude. Very laid back, and easy going. Takes everything as it comes very well. I'm pretty sure that this colour=personality thing that you heard is just a myth.
I'm not saying it's an actual, fact of the matter thing, just a random color scheme equals personality type of deal...trust me, I would never go out and purposely rescue a specific color thinking "hey, that's the color I HAVE to have because it's personality relies on it!" Obviously it's not, that's like saying red heads are all crazy or something in the human world...but sometimes, when you meet a red head (for example) and they're a bit loopy, you kind of think it's ironic..that's all!

·
Registered
880 Posts
naaaa.. I don't buy it... sounds like something a person with limited dog experience would make up based on observations of very few dogs. Here is the ONLY instance in which I would have believed any thing about colour to personality stereotypes: chocolate labs.

Now don't go off repeating this theory to some one else believing it's true, as I'm not so sure it is. However like I said, I find this to be the only such theory that at least remotely makes some logical sense. Also if the theory is correct, any stereotypes of a chocolate would no longer be valid anyways. :p I don't know enough about the history of labs, so I have no clue how even remotely true this could be, but regardless, it's still interesting.

Originally chocolate labs were culled from show breeding stock, or at least undesireble and not bred. Only the yellow and black were maintained as the breed's colour by the show breeders. The breeders of hunting and owrking labs however didn't care and continued to breed all labs, regardless of colour, based only on their working skills. According to that theory, at a certain time, pretty much the only chocolate labs that were around were bred exclusively from hunting and working lines, and therefore you could have easily made assumptions about all chocolate labs being what you would expect a hunting vs show dog to be.

Eventually show breeders began to like the chocolate labs and allowed them in to their breeding programs. Chocolate labs were the new in thing as they were more unique and majority of people have never seen them. As chocolate labs from show lines became more mainstream, the easily made stereotype of chocolate labs became invalid.

:D

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Well, I've owned this breed for 25 years - quite a few of my own, and several rescue fosters have passed through my door. I'm not the only long-term Doberman breeder/owner that does remark on the reds being the comedians of the breed. There really does seem to be a dash of "rascal" put into them.

That said, I do have a black one here that I think should have been a red one. ;-)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
They all have different characters anyway, so brown or black i do not see any difference.Being that i have two of each colour and they are all goofy and protective and that includes puppy who now decides she is out to bark with all the rest when they hear a noise outside!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've also heard the reds, males in particular are clowns. I've owned red and black males and my red was definetly more clownish than my blacks. Max was a very funny boy that would do a dance when he was excited about something.

·
Premium Member
10,596 Posts
Sorry, I've got years of experience in Dobes that says whoever thought they could see a correlation between color and personality type is wrong.

I've had highly protective dogs and I know highly protective dogs in every color. I've primarily had 45+ years of black Dobes (for no particular reason except that since I show them I was usually looking for the best puppy in the litter and they mostly seemed to be black). Virtually every Doberman I've ever owned and most of those that I've known well over the years have had the ability to be clowns--they tend to do that only in the privacy of their own homes.

The most "serious" Dobe I ever owned was red. The one with the most overdeveloped sense of humor is the older black male that I have now. But I have a semi-permanent houseguest--a fawn puppy who is more like the older black male in temperament and character than I would have expected--they are very loosely related.

I think there are people who really think that you can make that sort of correlation--color to temperament etc but I sure haven't seen anything that would prove it in all the years I've had Dobes.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I agree, even tho I've only owned one red. He was definitely not "clownish". I co-owned a red bitch who wasn't the slightest bit clownish, and I hung around with Mic's red mother, his red half brother, and the red half brother's red mother and no clownishness in any of them. They had different personalities from each other, but they were not clownish. In fact I've never had or known a Doberman who I would call "clownish" or "goofy".

I don't equate a Doberman having a sense of humor with being goofy or a clown. I've known many Dobermans with a great sense of humor, mostly running to practical jokes, but that is something different.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have a clownish and very goofy black Doberman male. He is only that way in his small circle though. He grins, smiles, and is on his back a lot, and does things to make people laugh and is generally a ham and very funny.

But most people never see that side of him. On walks he is alert and serious for the most part, and this dog is very protective when need be, but at our home and a few other trusted places he will act like a total goofball often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts