Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've just acquired Astraphyra. She is already a part of our home and was meant to be since the beginning of time. She is 9 weeks and lives in a home with 3 great dogs and a thoughtful and eccentric owner. I hope to fill her potential.

She is Blue and the question is (picture soon/when I can) does the appearance of spots (darker colored flecks on her legs and sides) have anything to do with her coloration? She did have some puppy 'cradle cap' and a few scabs elsewhere but the flecks don't seem sit on top of any discernible skin condition.

I was wondering also, does the 'thumb print' markings separate from the rest of the mask as they age or are connected markings a fualt? thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had an in-depth conversation with the breeder. She is in the process of moving and has poor phone connection. I picked her up from a foster. "Your puppy was born from mother Lil momma Grandmother (Midnite). Midnite was born of champion blood." -Verbatim as the info packet I recieved states. I was told that her father was blue, but was not afforded the opportunity to see either parent. I don't know the total litter size but she has a blue sister and a black brother. The spots/coloration didn't bother me, I thought they were kind of neat. I saw the dogs, watched them move, examined their temperament, and I was looking for a working/companion dog for around the farm with the others, so din't mind any flaws in her pedigree.

One could interpret that as "Mother Lil Momma, Grandmother Midnite". I don't know that the names Midnite or Lil Momma could show anywhere litter of a champion mating the Grandmother was from.

She said she will not be able to produce the papers for several months but I plan on e-mailing her. And, yes, I will get a picture up here like tomorrow to show. Its interesting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Funny to read this,as I have just recently seen spots myself.:) although on a red one,and the spots are dark almost black. Only on the back and one small part on the neck,and a tiny mark on the head. I have never seen it before,and this red one I have only seen pictures of. It's small small "torn" spots,like those of a harlequin GD.
Looking forward to see pictures of your blue.:)
Best of luck with your new companion !!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
some dobes have 'open' markings on their face, others have 'closed' (the thumbprint).

either is just fine. :)

not sure what you mean by darker 'spots'.

is there actually darker spots on the skin too (pigment) or just a few darker hairs here and there?

Hugz to Astraphyra!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's almost like she's got a darker undercoat and the spots where she might have had something and the blue top hair were removed or possibly the blue/gray hairs grew back darker. Actually its almost like aguoti where the base or middle of the shaft is dark while the tips are lighter (and maybe the roots, its hard to discern even in good light).

Here's also a couple of my dog Miller. He's a good boy, the best. Not too chipper when I brought her home but he's warmed up and is even quite protective of her around other dogs. He's a good maternal guardian with the kids too. Etnie is too but she was inside whilst we trotted around the yard trying to use the last of the sun for a good pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does not seem to carry through onto her skin unless the difference is very subtle. The spots are small and I could really almost swear that its either agouti with plain patches or she got 2 different color coats. I mean there are healing patches of dry skin on her hind legs, head, and chest (mineral oil was suggested to me for similar uses as baby oil) but on her forelegs and ribs there seems to be no discernible skin abnormality - leading me to support the idea that she has gotten over something and the light hairs now no longer cover the underlying difference. Idk, I geuss we'll see if they go away when she gets bigger. Lol I think its cool tho and wish for them to stay.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts