Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wanted to know what is best for training a doberman choker or pronk collar.Thank you

·
Frisbee Killer
79 Posts
Prong collar is the safest when used properly. Google "How to use prong collar" and you will get all the info you need. Good luck with your training.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think I started using one with Koa until he was like 9 or 10 months, but I'm not sure what the "right" age is. I really wish at 13 weeks I had started working with Koa more on loose leash walking - then maybe I wouldn't need to walk him with a prong all the time now.... old habits die hard!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I want to get diesel a prong collar what age is it acceptable to start using? He's 13 weeks now.
What?? A prong is to stop dogs pulling, why would you want a prong collar on such a young dog? Why not just start training him not to pull while he's young and you're stronger than him? I believe the recommended age is 6 months if you want an actual answer.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That's what I was thinking. He has a harness now but man he is strong with that thing on and trying to teach him loose leash has been a challenge so I was just curious. I never used the prong on my other dogs till they were older.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I don't want it right now I was just curious cause he has already developed a pulling problem and soon if I can't fix it he will be stronger then me I'm going to avoid it if I can I just wanted to know. I wasn't saying I'm going to go buy it right now. There's plenty other options first.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I started using a prong with Dreizehn at 10 or 11 months. I, honestly, was trying to avoid using them and just work really hard with a flat collar but the training club I had just joined pushed it on me and I didn't feel like making it a big deal (since I knew how to use them).

I don't like seeing them on dogs that are still majorly developing and growing and to anybody who wants to use one I always suggest giving a flat and/or martingale collar some more chances.

kwhite, I know what you're gooing through with Diesel. For a while walking 13 was such a pain that he wouldn't get as many walks as he should have. My mother got Dreizehn an Easy Walk chest harness so she could walk him and that worked pretty well, my boyfriend still uses it when he takes Dreizehn on short jogs. He pulls on it, but not as much as he does on a flat collar.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That's why we got the harness cause I hated him pulling with a regular collar. I didn't want to hurt his neck. I hope I can train him and a prong collar will be a last resort. I think his problem is he gets so distracted and wants to get to everything as fast as he can and that makes me nervous for when he gets a little bigger and I can't control him if this doesn't get undercontrol. Is an easy wal harness different then a normal harness? Maybe I'll get him one of those.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
What?? A prong is to stop dogs pulling, why would you want a prong collar on such a young dog? Why not just start training him not to pull while he's young and you're stronger than him? I believe the recommended age is 6 months if you want an actual answer.
I have never used a prong collar (no experience) and my pup gets a choke chain at 8 weeks old:
- flat nylon collar with ID tag
- very thin choke chain...not the fat ones, that look massive
Used correctly, I could make either work...but 35 years ago, I my trainer rules where, no prong - entering her class.
(fine by me...as the prong just looked more invasive)

My training starts with bypassing the flat collar...so my dobe quickly learns the difference between play & work.
On a level from 1-10...most correction are done at a #1, starting at 8 weeks old
- first month is playing and mental stimulation games/commands on the living room floor
- 2 month home, dobe gets to drag the leash around the yard
- at 4.5 months old, all off-leash training
- at 5 months old, introduce the leash, in healing
- mix & match off-on-off-leash work, walking city sidewalks in controlled OB / completely off-leash trained, as a 6.5 month old puppy

Plus I practice soft bite/muzzle control ASAP, if my pup goes bejong my comfort level.
- my index finger goes into the choke chain loop for a pull correction
Seeping in bed, if pup Amy is stiring to much, I whisper to her to be good, and a slight little tug...when I find the choke chain...with b1 finger / the click sound, is what she is being trained to.
Essentially, my choker training is "choke-chain-link-clicker-sound-training / without the bait or bribe".
Clearly, I am communicating to a very young pup...my expectations, of good or bad.
And it works, without correcting a dog to rip its neck off or do a 180 degree air born turn.
So YES, from day1, my girl has a correction collar / because I use it so early.
- corrections are most low scale and level of improvement & continual learning is most quick, with focus and a desire to please me
- because my corrections from 8 weeks old, are so low scale...as the pup matures & gets stronger & bigger / my correction scale does not need to elevate or ramp up...the foundation for swift & early learning, has been already set / so EASY done right
I use all the FUN training methods available, 5 minutes from my pup coming home / I am not one to let 4 months pass, and then try to figure it all out.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I enjoy a rolled nylon choker with extended training. I use a prong when I'm going somewhere new with him, or short training sessions.

Overall I think everyone should strive for a flat buckle or martingale when training. Correction collars only mask the problem, and should be used temporarily as an aid to training. ( FYI, this is my personal opinion. )

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have never used a prong collar (no experience) and my pup gets a choke chain at 8 weeks old:
- flat nylon collar with ID tag
- very thin choke chain...not the fat ones, that look massive
Used correctly, I could make either work...but 35 years ago, I my trainer rules where, no prong - entering her class.
(fine by me...as the prong just looked more invasive)

My training starts with bypassing the flat collar...so my dobe quickly learns the difference between play & work.
On a level from 1-10...most correction are done at a #1, starting at 8 weeks old
- first month is playing and mental stimulation games/commands on the living room floor
- 2 month home, dobe gets to drag the leash around the yard
- at 4.5 months old, all off-leash training
- at 5 months old, introduce the leash, in healing
- mix & match off-on-off-leash work, walking city sidewalks in controlled OB / completely off-leash trained, as a 6.5 month old puppy

Plus I practice soft bite/muzzle control ASAP, if my pup goes bejong my comfort level.
- my index finger goes into the choke chain loop for a pull correction
Seeping in bed, if pup Amy is stiring to much, I whisper to her to be good, and a slight little tug...when I find the choke chain...with b1 finger / the click sound, is what she is being trained to.
Essentially, my choker training is "chain-link-clicker-sound-training / without the bait".
Clearly, I am communicating to a very young pup...my expectations, of good or bad.
And it works, without correcting a dog to rip its neck off or do a 180 degree air born turn.
So YES, from day1, my girl has a correction collar / because I use it so early.
- corrections are most low scale and level of improvement & continual learning is most quick, with focus and a desire to please me
My 6 month comment was referring to prongs, not chokes. Not that I would put either on a puppy at the ages you are stating.

Obviously there are different training methods and different tools which work for different people. I do not believe corrections should be made for puppies who are still learning, I believe corrections are for when dogs deliberately ignore commands they already know.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
That's why we got the harness cause I hated him pulling with a regular collar. I didn't want to hurt his neck. I hope I can train him and a prong collar will be a last resort. I think his problem is he gets so distracted and wants to get to everything as fast as he can and that makes me nervous for when he gets a little bigger and I can't control him if this doesn't get undercontrol. Is an easy wal harness different then a normal harness? Maybe I'll get him one of those.
The chest harness that I was talking about has the leash attach to the front and when the dog pulls ahead it causes slight pressure on the chest and shoulders. It was weird for Dreizehn at first, though not as incredibly uncomfortable (and unsafe) as head harnesses are. The link explains it a little bit.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My 6 month comment was referring to prongs, not chokes. Not that I would put either on a puppy at the ages you are stating.

Obviously there are different training methods and different tools which work for different people. I do not believe corrections should be made for puppies who are still learning, I believe corrections are for when dogs deliberately ignore commands they already know.
^^^^ I used the finger pull choke chain correction to TEACH soft bite initially.
- not easy commands like sit / say / down / fetch...she got this ASAP and I enjoyed the fun / play process, without being lazy and forcefull
I am not that quick to use physical corrections...that the power in my voice and timing can't accomplish (in my sleep).

After one day of having my forearm bloody shredded like a bleeding pin cushion and then going back to work...the next morning, I realized my arm as a marrow bone was done..Amy was finished biting me, that was my conclusion...that day.
- so I trained my Amy soft bite/muzzle control in 48 hours / using several tools, one of which was the tug correction on her choke chain
It was infrequent when I had to relied on the choke chain correction...moving foreward.
- but the above early correction, probably set this whole pups life, in the proper direction of a citizen and well mannered / confident adult dog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts