Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been absent for SO long! Springtime is busy on the farm, and this past winter wasn't much better! LOL! But I wanted to post an update on my rescue boy, Cody, along with a couple of pictures.

Right before Christmas, a part-time neighbor of ours called us. They spend their winters in New Mexico (why would you want to spend winter in South Dakota if you didn't have to, right?) She and her husband were on their way back up here to visit relatives for Christmas, and she had a "German Shepherd female pup" that she'd picked up as a stray in NM and wondered if I knew of anyone who might take her.

(So now I know that the big neon "SUCKER" sign on my forehead is visible all the way to NM... :rolleyesww: )

sigh... I said, "If she's OK with the other dogs and the cats, we'll take her." Which is exactly what she KNEW I would say (she's not as stupid as I think). So they showed up that evening with this little pistol spitfire mutt, who is NOT a GSD, but might have some in her. Honestly, I think she's at least part coyote! LOL!

Cody, being 11 going on 12, was NOT amused by this new addition. They got along just fine for the first hour or so, and then Cody was like, "OK, send her home now, I've had enough of her antics." Missy, the pup, was only 9 months old (we think) and of course, full of puppy energy. She enjoys chasing the cats, but she stops when they do, and she doesn't hurt them, so we decided she could stay. The cats got used to her pretty quick, and the chasing has drastically diminished, but she's always on the lookout for someone in the mood to play. I figured Cody would warm up to her, and eventually they'd get along fine.

FOUR MONTHS he groused at her. Missy was undeterred. I'm down to my last nerve, constantly trying to monitor them, and making sure Missy wasn't being too rough with "poor old Cody." Argh. Well, she did manage to make him spin and fall down a LOT (she runs tight circles around him and he spins until he loses his balance), but he'd get right up again. Seemed like all I saw were all 42 of his teeth for those four months, because he just couldn't stop bitching at her for one infraction or another.

And then one day, it happened. I let them out together for some reason (I had been letting them out separately for some time, because Missy tormented Cody and wouldn't let him potty when he was out), and when I looked out the window to check on them, they were PLAYING. It wasn't just Missy playing and Cody snapping his teeth, they were BOTH playing.

When they noticed me, they stopped, and I swear Cody was embarrassed. It's like he was saying, "Uh, who, me? NO, it wasn't ME playing with that hellion!"

And that was the end of Sir Cody Grumpybutt. Now I can't get them to STOP playing! LOL! Our house isn't that big to begin with, and they're sometimes in danger of rearranging the furniture, I think. I had to bring the dog crate in so I could put Missy in it once in a while, just to give Cody a rest. He doesn't rest long, though.

And Missy's favorite pastime now is sitting on Cody's head. I swear, I can NOT understand why he lets her get away with this... but he seems to enjoy it!

The thing is, I don't know if you guys remember when I first joined here and had just gotten Cody, he was kind of unsteady in the back end. A lot of people suggested he might have Wobbler's (he doesn't, though), but once we got him on some good food and some supplements (fish oil, glucosamine, MSM) he improved quite a bit. He still had trouble with a stiff/painful left hip, though, which made it slow getting up and lying down. Once up, he has no trouble walking or running, but it was the getting up and down that was hurting him.

But now, since he's been getting all this exercise, he's improved even more. I'm still giving him the supplements, but he gets right up now with no delay, and he can lie down quickly, without all the "preparing" he used to do. He's like 10 years younger. Deep in my heart, I was kind of hoping that having a younger dog around would get him off the couch and outside to play more, and I was so worried he just wasn't going to go for the idea, but now it's such a JOY to see him happy, smiling, and playing like a puppy. Missy's happy, too! LOL!

Here's Cody's happy (but tired) face:

And Missy, trouble on four legs, looking for a place to happen:

Anyway, I always think it's amazing when a dog goes backward in age like Cody has done, and I thought you guys would appreciate hearing about it. I am SO fortunate that Cody and I found each other two years ago. I'm glad for the time I've had with him, and the time I will have, but I'm so selfish I wish I had known him ALL his life. He's a gem, and truly a wonderful boy. :)

~Lannie

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Hahaha I love the one with the girl sitting on Cody's head.... He certainly seems like he is enjoying his sister.

About his joint issues, he seems a bit over weight (could just be the angle of the camera), have you tried a diet to get more weight off him? My oversized boy also has joint problems, and we keep him around 5 lbs less than he should and is so so much happier. Some people think he's too thin, but as long as he's healthy and happy, I am happy as well!

Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The angle of the camera... yeah, I'll have to remember that one! LOL!

No, you're right. He's overweight. We all put on a bit of extra padding in the winter. ;) Since he got off the couch and started playing, though, he's lost some. I'm hoping he loses a bit more, but if he doesn't, then I guess I'll have to think about cutting his food back. He's going to think I'm TORTURING him (he loves his food!), but I'll do it.

~Lannie

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I'm glad you didn't take that negatively! Haha, yes my boy loves his food too, and his food is gone in a matter of 10 seconds, so I do understand. But seeing him run faster, easier, and with more spunk is totally worth the 'pitiful' hungry eyes he gives me. (Not to mention he gets lbs of treats during training)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, heck no, I know a fat Dobie when I see one. ;) I feed him raw, and I actually feed him one... piece... of... meat... at... a... time... by hand, otherwise it would be gone in literally seconds and I'm worried he'll choke. I did a Heimlich on my first Dobie once, and it wasn't fun, so I don't want to have to do it again. Cody's so heavy I don't think I could pick him up, anyway. Missy, on the other hand, always eats all her food, and never fusses, but she eats carefully and slowly. I wish Cody would eat that way. I always end up with a slobbery hand when we're finished.

And now if anyone would like to give me a hard time about how his nails need to be trimmed, fire away. I know they're too long, but we had a traumatic experience when I went to cut them a couple months back, he bled like a stuck pig, it took forever to get all the blood out of the carpet, and I've been chicken ever since. Every once in a while, I'll clip off just the sharp tips, which does no good at all, because they grow back in a matter of hours. ;) I need to get some styptic, my husband, me, and Cody all together at the same time one day (now that would be a feat) and really work on them. He won't let me anywhere near him with the Dremel tool. Of course, maybe if I had a troop of Boy Scouts to hold him down... hmmm.... :roflmao:

~Lannie

·
Registered
609 Posts
I too have an older boy 101/2 ,Got a pup and he is moving and playing more . He likes her but doesn't want anyone to know haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.