Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy is a destroyer of any kind of toy bought him a coconut to play with he finely cracked it. Thought I had better ask if this was a good idea or a bad idea???
Patches mom

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I wouldn't let him keep it after he breaks it into pieces. The pieces can be kind of sharp and I don't think you want him to swallow them.

Just keep an eye on him when he has the coconut, and be prepared to replace it with something else he likes if he breaks it into pieces.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow I would have never thought of a coconut either! Sadie likes to pop basketballs and soccer balls though lol.

Yeah though I have to agree with everyone, I'd trash it once he cracked it open.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I don't even let my dogs eat the shells from nuts that my macaw tosses about. Basically it's just like eating wood, and that is *not* the good kind of fiber. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw a show a while back where they gave a rottie a coconut that had not been hulled. It took like 30 minutes for the rottie to rip off all the hull and crack the coconut. For a really destructive dog I don't think it is too bad of an idea for a toy as long as they are monitored and it is thrown away once broken.

On a similar note and this is for Julie, I knew someone with an umbrella cockatoo that use to give it old tennis shoes to tear up. I tried my best to get her to stop because of the glue, dye and petrolium products in the rubber.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Coconuts are great dog toys! They love to peel the husk and if they manage to crack the nut, the milk and meat inside is yummy and good for them. It is very hard to crack a coconut and when you do, a fresh coconut usually breaks in half...it doesn't shatter like glass. As long as the pieces are bigger than the mouth, let him chew away! Healthier than rawhide and hours of fun. Oscar loves peeling and playing with coconuts every week. Island dogs will rummage through piles and scavenge coconuts for food. Hey, it takes a LOT of work to crack a coconut. Let him have it!

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
Coconuts are great dog toys! They love to peel the husk and if they manage to crack the nut, the milk and meat inside is yummy and good for them. It is very hard to crack a coconut and when you do, a fresh coconut usually breaks in half...it doesn't shatter like glass. As long as the pieces are bigger than the mouth, let him chew away! Healthier than rawhide and hours of fun. Oscar loves peeling and playing with coconuts every week. Island dogs will rummage through piles and scavenge coconuts for food. Hey, it takes a LOT of work to crack a coconut. Let him have it!

Wow.. learn somethin' new every day! I'ma run out and buy Neek a coconut!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone after buying toys that do not last and on a limted income was trying to think of something new for the Big Dope to play with.He has a crack in it but I had to bring it in the house Patches was trying to guard it from Buddy she has no idea she is a 12# Doxie.May give it back to him(Buddy) I will be home to referee hubby was home today with the dogs.He eats the plastic milk & Pop bottles so he cannot have those. Next may go to the tire store down the street see if they have a little tire or a truck tire??? If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Patches Mom
Ps: Buddy took the coconut into the garage & dropped it on the cement thats how he got the crack in it.???

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Patches Mom
Ps: Buddy took the coconut into the garage & dropped it on the cement thats how he got the crack in it.???

The tire is a good idea!

Rubber 'chuck it' tennis balls seem to hold up pretty well and they aren't too expensive.. I'm not sure if I can compare MY chewer to yours, though. Neek destroys almost everything but these have held up very well!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Story of how the coconut ended Buddy finely got the crack big enough to break off a piece of the hull. I took it from him used a hammer to get all of the hull off it then gave it back to them.Buddy & Patches ate the whole thing enjoyed it very much s will try to get them one maybe once a month or so sure kept them busy for about 4 days. I had picked up two pieces of the coconut put it on a table in the garage was going to give it to them later,Buddy stole it & ate it too.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Story of how the coconut ended Buddy finely got the crack big enough to break off a piece of the hull. I took it from him used a hammer to get all of the hull off it then gave it back to them.Buddy & Patches ate the whole thing enjoyed it very much s will try to get them one maybe once a month or so sure kept them busy for about 4 days. I had picked up two pieces of the coconut put it on a table in the garage was going to give it to them later,Buddy stole it & ate it too.
Patches Mom
They did not get the runs from this? Just asking because I may try this with Cole.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
That is very interesting. Kind of like Chaz`s with the avocado tree.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Isabelle has a tire (the biggest one they had) that I got her at petsmart. She has had it for a year or so and hasn't destroyed it yet :) To her credit she doesn't play with it that much anymore, but she has a soccerball - a small one from target - that she loves. She has popped it, but hasn't destroyed it yet either. She's had that for a few months. I think it was about 6 bucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts