Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on coats. What types are out there and what manufacturers does everyone like?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I like the ones custom/made-to-fit. Otherwise thy are usually short-back, too tight at the chest and loose at the collar!
Go check out cozycoatsandmore.com
I just got my new brown coat for Axl from Pam and its beautiful AND warm!

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Lots of coat threads on DT!

I like Cozy Coats and More, and Fido Fleece fit Dobermans really well. I've started whipping up my own fleece coats, too. It's very easy if you have a sewing machine and there are a few patterns out there.

Reactions: Paladin

·
Registered
7 Posts
They aren't too hard to make. I made one for our pup in the fall because she was an absolute wimp her first winter. I used a waterproof brown material for the outer shell, and lined in a nice sweater material that carried to the neck. I added buttons to the belt to make it more "fashionable". I let the man pick out the fabric so he wouldn't complain about walking her in a "girly" jacket... seemed to have worked =)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I mentioned it before.
In Canada "Greenhawk" is a supplier of equestrian supplies. They also make a smaller version of their horse blankets to fit dogs. My dogs play soooo rough (as I'm sure most Dobes do) and these coats hold up!
Outer shell is waterproof and dirt wipes right off. Inside is fleecy. Easy to get on and off. Different sizes and reasonable prices.
In fact the Greenhawk warehouse sale is coming up soon and you can probably get dog coats for about $20 cdn. They have a website and will deliver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cozycoatsandmore.com had a dog bark when you went to the site... my doberman is still looking for this mysterious dog in the house hahahahaha its worth going to the site for that alone haha

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Fido fleece - easy on easy off, washable, comfortable.... they are the only kind I use now.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in a really animal oriented town, and we have a store right here that does custom fleece lined dog coats. They're the horse blanket type, waterproof and they last forever.

Fido Fleece coats are good, but I bought a bunch of coats very similiar to fido fleeces from Fetchdog when they were on sale last year, and I think they're warmer than the fido fleeces. Couldn't beat the sale price for them either-$10.00!! Anyway, the fleece is better quality on the Fetchdog.com coats than on the fido fleeces, so I'd definitely be willing to pay full price for them if I saw them again.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Hurtta Pro Winter Jacket

I was thinking about getting Ivan the Hurtta Winter Dog Jacket. Anyone on here have experience with them? It's water proof with an adjustable waist and neck. But like others have mentioned, I'm afraid if I get it long enough, it'll be too big in the neck and chest regardless of adjustment although at least one website talks about how great it fits Dobes. Ivan's long and lanky and hasn't developed much of a chest at this point. He's a little over a year now.

Clean Run: Hurtta Winter Dog Jacket

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in a really animal oriented town, and we have a store right here that does custom fleece lined dog coats. They're the horse blanket type, waterproof and they last forever.

Fido Fleece coats are good, but I bought a bunch of coats very similiar to fido fleeces from Fetchdog when they were on sale last year, and I think they're warmer than the fido fleeces. Couldn't beat the sale price for them either-$10.00!! Anyway, the fleece is better quality on the Fetchdog.com coats than on the fido fleeces, so I'd definitely be willing to pay full price for them if I saw them again.
Fetchdog has been bought by "In the Company of Dogs" and absorbed by them. I haven't seen those coats on their website since :( I think they've been replaced by these (or maybe these are "updated" versions of the old fleece): Fleece Dog Warmup - Dog Beds, Dog Harnesses & Collars, Dog Clothes & Gifts for Dog Lovers | In The Company of Dogs

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
check out this thread http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/59391-gino-asha-modeling-coats-hurtta.html

I was thinking about getting Ivan the Hurtta Winter Dog Jacket. Anyone on here have experience with them? It's water proof with an adjustable waist and neck. But like others have mentioned, I'm afraid if I get it long enough, it'll be too big in the neck and chest regardless of adjustment although at least one website talks about how great it fits Dobes. Ivan's long and lanky and hasn't developed much of a chest at this point. He's a little over a year now.

Clean Run: Hurtta Winter Dog Jacket

·
Registered
92 Posts
For a cool weather fleece and raincoat I'm happy with my Royal Canin coats-for walks-she doesn't wear a coat out in the yard because if the weather's crappy she's won't stay out anyway. For really cold weather, I used her fleece as a pattern and extended it to make a heavy horse blanket type coat-has a layer of fleece, 2 layers quilt batting and an outer layer of denim, with a separate turtleneck/snood.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Fetchdog has been bought by "In the Company of Dogs" and absorbed by them. I haven't seen those coats on their website since :( I think they've been replaced by these (or maybe these are "updated" versions of the old fleece): Fleece Dog Warmup - Dog Beds, Dog Harnesses & Collars, Dog Clothes & Gifts for Dog Lovers | In The Company of Dogs
Well, that's a bummer Fetchdog got bought and absorbed! Good thing I bought each of the dogs three of those sale fleece coats when i did. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,015 Posts
Well, that's a bummer Fetchdog got bought and absorbed! Good thing I bought each of the dogs three of those sale fleece coats when i did. :)
Yeah, I'm bummed, too. They always had awesome clearance sales. The new company is okay, but it's not quite the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts