Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**** is now 7.5 mos and as of last Wednesday morning was doing fine being a playful rambunctious puppy. I think it was sometime Wednesday, something happened and I really have no clue what it could have been. I'm thinking he may have made an attempt to escape the fence in the back yard and hurt himself in the act. Wednesday evening we went to the park and did our normal walk and I really never noticed anything out of the norm as far as walking or gait changes, but when we finished he came inside and just laid around all stretched out which is strange. Thursday, more of the same unusual laziness and lack of motivation to move much but not acting like he was in any kind of severe pain or anything. Thursday night, we went to intermediate obedience and he struggled to jump in the back seat of my 4runner which normally is a cinch for him. He did fine at obedience, but noticed instead of sitting, he favored the down position with his hind legs more out to the side rather than directly underneath him. I spoke with his trainer who is certified behaviorist, trainer etc... yes, I know, not a DMV. She suggested maybe just putting him on kennel rest over the weekend and observing him and see if he gets any better. She has been around him enough and did not think he was acting too much different and told me he could be having growing pains as she observed his growth plates are all still wide open. Well, as of this am he was not better so I took him to the vet and dropped him off for him to observe and do some testing to see if he can find out what the issue may be. I am very much aware of wobblers, but the onset from my understanding is generally not until 4 or 5 yrs from my understanding. My last dobie had HD and artritis, but was not diagnosed until age 9. With that said, ****'s pedigree is strong with health tested dogs and so I am obviously concerned. Can anyone shed any light that may have experienced something similar with a younger pup and found out it was only something trivial that was easily overcome? I would rather not be reprimanded for waiting 4 days to take him to the vet if possible and was doing what was suggested from someone I trust.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I understand waffling, when you cannot exactly put your finger on something, but over the years, I've found that when there is a behavior change in one of mine, and they seem "off," that I've never really--other than the money--regretted a trip to the vet, just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Have you pulled any ticks off ****? If your vet even thinks there's even a chance **** has any form of tick illness, you might speak to the vet about starting **** on Doxy while the vet runs a titer.

You know your boy better than anyone and if your gut tells you there's something wrong with ****, trust your gut and your heart.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you pulled any ticks off ****? If your vet even thinks there's even a chance **** has any form of tick illness, you might speak to the vet about starting **** on Doxy while the vet runs a titer.

You know your boy better than anyone and if your gut tells you there's something wrong with ****, trust your gut and your heart.
I haven't pulled off any ticks. He's on preventive and I have not seen any fleas or ticks around.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I agree with RFR - I think when you have a sense that something is "off" it's worth going in to the vet.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
my suggestion- Neck and hip xrays..... :( I know its probably more money than you want to spend, but it may be worth the knowledge

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dropped him off at the vet on the way to work this morning like I said... but haven't heard anything back yet. Fingers crossed all is well.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I haven't pulled off any ticks. He's on preventive and I have not seen any fleas or ticks around.
All 3 of my friends Vizslas were diagnosed with Lyme when she lived in PA and she never pulled ONE tick off any of them. Just as an FYI. They were on Frontline Plus.

Oops just saw the update. That's good news!

Reactions: GrdnDelite
1 - 10 of 10 Posts