Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

Im going to the process of getting my first doberman. I actually choose one from the litter today, him as well as 2 others have these cloudy blue eyes either one or both. And that concerns me since im making a commitment and want to choose wisely.

somebody please help me, they are going to the Vet next week.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
That's not something I've ever heard of. But then, I haven't been around dobermans as long as some other people on this forum. Who is the breeder? What health tests have been done on the parents/grandparents/etc and what titles do they have, if any?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Did you talk to the breeder about your concerns? Did they give you an explanation?

hello all,

Im going to the process of getting my first doberman. I actually choose one from the litter today, him as well as 2 others have these cloudy blue eyes either one or both. And that concerns me since im making a commitment and want to choose wisely.

somebody please help me, they are going to the Vet next week.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I second patchwork and sam&macksmom as well as asking:
how old is the litter?
what color are the pups your referring to with the eye issue?

(might not matter, or it might, just trying to gather some info for the more knowledgeable on the forum.)

Reactions: KissNme

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did talk to the breeder about my concerns, she said she hadn't notice and that she is concerned now. As of now we are both curious about it, I asked if I can go to the Vet with her so I can be more informed. They are AKC registered and going on their 5th week. and they are all black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought of that, but she made me feel comfortable, she did seem knowledgeable and nice. looked into it and it seems to fall under "Keratitis" Is it something severe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interstitial keratitis (blue eye) is a corneal inflammation in which a bluish-white film appears over the clear window of the eye. Signs appear 10 days after exposure. The eyes begin to water and the dog squints and avoids light. Most dogs recover completely within a few weeks. In some cases the eye remains permanently clouded.

lets hope this is and goes away soon...

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
AKC registration means nothing, as far as quality and health of the puppies. It's a common myth among the general public, but the AKC is just a registry that stores data on dogs, period.

The largest, crappiest puppy mills in America quite often have AKC registered puppies, to give you an idea.

Lots of things you posted about this breeder raise serious red flags.

I can't imagine rewarding someone who was not doing their best by these innocent lives by paying them my money.

Not to mention setting yourself up for heartache and vet bills.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not to mention setting yourself up for heartache and vet bills.
This. These puppies have yet to even get into homes and they're already sick. What else is going wrong with them? I personally would not want to take on the unnecessary responsibility of a sick, sick puppy.. both financially and emotionally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This. These puppies have yet to even get into homes and they're already sick. What else is going wrong with them? I personally would not want to take on the unnecessary responsibility of a sick, sick puppy.. both financially and emotionally.
I agree with you, good thing I noticed before buying the puppy. Nothing else is wrong with them, the vet will see them tomorrow. Will it be bad if I choose another pup from the litter? They are all due for there vaccinations when they turn 6 weeks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts