Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'll confess I've been a little lax on the training since Simon joined us. We do some at home, but I haven't been nearly as good about working on the "Look at That" game with Shanoa when we're out on walks. Mostly, it's because I've introduced Simon to the clicker, and I don't want to accidentally click something for him when I click for her. I need to start working with her more, but it's not practical for me to walk them individually. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the clickers that have two distinct sounds with two different dogs? I'm thinking maybe I can "charge" the individual clicks for each dog at home, then start taking it out on walks with us so that each will only get a reward for their click. Any thoughts/experiences here?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would think it would work perfect for two different dogs. The hard part is using the right one for the right dog. I use the same method I believe as you do, but I use the work "yes" as my marker. I had originally used a clicker when I started with Rocko but after training with the group I work with it would have been crazy having that many clickers on a field. Could you possibly use two different words as markers. Their are people in the group who train two dogs who use Yes and Ok.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh, that's a good idea. I couldn't imagine what you meant when I clicked (hah!) on the thread. Accusom Simon to his clicker, and Shanoa theoretically already knows hers.

I in fact just ordered a bunch of the "cricket toys" from American Science and Surplus website, as I had a notion for altering them. But, they sound just like my normal clicker.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone? I was hoping to get some feedback before I spend $20 on a clicker :D

Last night I decided to use our marker word (Yes!) rather than the clicker while walking both, as Simon has no association to the marker word. Shanoa gets it, and it worked fine, but really, when she's SUPER reactive to something a marker word will not penetrate into her consciousness, whereas the clicker will. So I'm still pondering this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts