Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been hearing lately about this so called clicker training. I haven't really got the slightest clue on how to do it but I wanted to ask for everyones opinion to see if it's something I should try with my dobey and if it's something they respond well to.

Is this a good training technique and does it work?

One more thing, if I'm not using the clicker to train him, what is the best method that works for dobe's? There is a lot of conflict out there about training and what works and what doesn't so, I would like to know everyone's opinion and what worked best for you or your dobey. If I have to try 15 different ways to find the right technique that works for him then I will do it. Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I use clicker training (or a word YES which is similar and called marker training) and I use positive methods. There are consequences but I do not use physical corrections, leash pops, collar grabs, etc. I train by showing the dog what to do vs what not to do.

ClickerSolutions Home is a very good site to explain what it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use clicker training (or a word YES which is similar and called marker training) and I use positive methods. There are consequences but I do not use physical corrections, leash pops, collar grabs, etc. I train by showing the dog what to do vs what not to do.

ClickerSolutions Home is a very good site to explain what it is.
Thank you, you posted this on my "are the supposed to bite this much" post and I read a little bit of how it works. I think I may try this with him and see how he does. Thanks again. :nicejob:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Clicker training is AWESOME! I am no expert, but I started using some with my dog and my super scared foster (perfect for him since I want to keep everything VERY POSITIVE). It is amazing to see them really grab on to what you are looking for them to do, and watch the look in their eyes as they get that "ah HA!" moment and the light bulb goes on.

It just seems more interactive and team building rather than you giving a command and forcing the dog to obey. Puts things more on their terms and gets them interested in learning. It also seems to help them learn what you want SO MUCH faster.

Just for fun I taught Rowan "kiss" (basically just "touch", but on the mouth, no tongue). He got it in less than 15 minutes. It took days to teach him to give paw and even then he only wanted to learn it on his terms.

Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The clicker has been a really mind opener for me,and we use it in all our training. I am not using the "shaping" method (got no patience for that), but teach my dogs that a click equals reward. As stated above,it builds more and better contact between handler and dog,and the positive way of training gives the dog the chanse to use it's brain. The clicker is well worth trying!
:):)

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
I trained Gin under an "old school" type trainer (it was over 20 years ago) who's method was "yank on the leash, and if that doesn't work, yank harder". I've trained Ilka, Lucky and Leontine with a trainer who uses positive methods and a clicker. I definitely prefer the clicker and positive methods. Not to say they never get a correction, but it's only for not doing something I know they can do. With Gin, her attitude towards training sessions was along the lines of "Oh, okay, if I have to". Ilka, Lucky, and Leo have the attitude of "Oh boy, training! YAY!"

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I love using a clicker and shaping to teach new behaviours to Elsie, last night we finished off teaching a dumbbell retrieve for obedience... Fast, enthusiastic, no chewing the dumbbell... Clicker training makes everything easy, stress free and fun for your dog

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Clicker training is awesome! I do it like Adara but also other methods & as mentioned by Gingergunlock I wish I had started from the begining. But using the marker "yes" or whatever word you choose works well. It is something about the clicker that IMO the dog responds to so much better. I have taught Kyrah many many things with a clicker. Fetching the remote being my favorite. But I did teach her to open the fridge without it. Dobes are smart and you could mix it up and try many different things. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,822 Posts
I love using a clicker and shaping to teach new behaviours to Elsie, last night we finished off teaching a dumbbell retrieve for obedience... Fast, enthusiastic, no chewing the dumbbell... Clicker training makes everything easy, stress free and fun for your dog
Disco, could you start a thread about how you trained her? I've worked on retrieving some with Ilka, but am having trouble getting her to take/retrieve a dumbbell. She prefer retriever dummies. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I used other methods with my first dobies. This time I am going clicker. There is a ton of information out there, also local library books and Youtube is full of successful clicker method training. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone! You pretty much convinced me that it is a great method to use and you have also convinced me to give it a try! I was somewhat expecting a few people to say that it's not very good or that it doesn't work but since everyone has had great results with it, I'm going to try it out! Wish me, well us, luck :D

Thank you again!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes to clicker training!

If you haven't used it before, I highly recommend the book, "The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training." (Amazon.com: The Thinking Dog: Crossover to Clicker Training (Dogwise Training Manual) (9781929242627): Gail Tamases Fisher: Books). It's a wonderful introduction to clicker training - how to use it, why it works, etc.
I will difinitely get this book because I actually have not used the clicker method before. Hopefully there's nothing to it for both myself and the puppy's sake. Wish us luck! Thank you. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,897 Posts
I will difinitely get this book because I actually have not used the clicker method before. Hopefully there's nothing to it for both myself and the puppy's sake. Wish us luck! Thank you. :)
It's easy and I think you and your pup will love it. Keep us updated!

If you want to do a group class, you should be able to find a great trainer here (and many of them will use a clicker): Search for Professionals

·
Registered
262 Posts
Clicker training is awesome!
I am new to the method too, and have been working with Xena with it since I got her (3months ago). We are now in week 5 of puppy classes, and the trainer is amazed at how well Xena trains and her focus is superb, it's been said that Xena has been one of the few very well behaved dogs she has seen in her classes lately. Clicker training does a great job as the translator between the two lol I don't always treat after the click, but she fully understands that the click means good news!!:D

Edit: YouTube kikopup, her videos has taught me loads on clicker training!!

Reactions: Zeusy Boy's Mama
1 - 20 of 29 Posts