Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you clean/sanitize your crates and other training equipment?

It seems like the plastic crates that I carry in my car get way dirtier way faster, so I have been cleaning them every Sunday with Nature's Miracle, and then spraying them out with the water hose. Then mid-week if they are really dirty I will vacuum them out with a shop-vac.

The ones in the house (wire) I take the pan out of the bottom and clean it the same way, then I use Clorox Anywhere (The one that is safe around food, kids, pets, etc) and spray the actual crate.

Anything Nylon gets cleaned on Sundays with the Natures Miracle, and water hose.

Leather stuff, I don’t bother cleaning, maybe a wipe down.

Kongs, Balls, and other toys get thrown in the dishwasher.

I just like to try and keep pet odor, and bacteria, and other yuck at a minimum.

I have heard Ken-Care is a good product. What does everyone else use?

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
BackInBlack said:
How often do you clean/sanitize your crates and other training equipment?

It seems like the plastic crates that I carry in my car get way dirtier way faster, so I have been cleaning them every Sunday with Nature's Miracle, and then spraying them out with the water hose. Then mid-week if they are really dirty I will vacuum them out with a shop-vac.

The ones in the house (wire) I take the pan out of the bottom and clean it the same way, then I use Clorox Anywhere (The one that is safe around food, kids, pets, etc) and spray the actual crate.

Anything Nylon gets cleaned on Sundays with the Natures Miracle, and water hose.

Leather stuff, I don’t bother cleaning, maybe a wipe down.

Kongs, Balls, and other toys get thrown in the dishwasher.

I just like to try and keep pet odor, and bacteria, and other yuck at a minimum.

I have heard Ken-Care is a good product. What does everyone else use?
Geeze, you are WAY cleaner than me - LOL! I vacum out my house crates occasionally, and wash the blankets every couple of weeks. Occasionally I wipe out the crates with whatever I have on hand. My mesh travel crates get hosed when they seem to need it.......which is not often. I keep pads in them and wash them when they look like they need it.
I wash their stainless steel bowls every day, and I'm not sure I've ever washed a kong......but I don't put stuff in them either.

I'm thinking that if you lived closer to me, I'd hire you!

·
Banned
675 Posts
Ideally, I wash the crate blanket weekly, and vacuum the inside of the crate at the same time. If it seems like vacuuming isn't going to be good enough, I take the crate outside, hose it out and leave it to dry in the sun, if there is any sun that day.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Kong’s go in the dishwasher occasionally.
A baby bottle brush with dish washing soap works fine that to clean them out several times per week.
I wash bedding in washer weekly, that goes for cat and dog bedding.
I let the bedding air dry or sometimes dry them in the dryer on low.

Nature’s miracle is great and is used on everything. I clean the floors with it too, since it is safe for animals and they sometimes find things to eat on the floor.

Crate pans are cleaned with Nature’s miracle as well. The crates are cleaned outside with a hose and dish soap or some type of anti-bacterial soap, then Nature's miracle.
Dog/cat bowls (stainless steel) are washed in the sink by hand with dish washing soap.

I fill the tub up with water and wash dog collars/leads and dog toys (hard ones) with a Listerine and water mixture and let them sit in it for awhile, then rinse them off with water. It kills germs and is fairly safe. Dog clothes and soft toys go in the washer on the gentle cycle to be cleaned.

Reactions: BackInBlack

·
Banned
675 Posts
I wash the nylon dog anc cat collars in the washing machine. I put them inside old socks, preferably with holes in them, and they wash very well that way. Then I hang them up to dry rather than putting them in the dryer. I might have to buy some of those net bags as I'm running out of holey socks.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dobesanddragons said:
I fill the tub up with water and wash dog collars/leads and dog toys (hard ones) with a Listerine and water mixture and let them sit in it for awhile, then rinse them off with water.
micdobe said:
I wash the nylon dog anc cat collars in the washing machine. I put them inside old socks, preferably with holes in them, and they wash very well that way. Then I hang them up to dry rather than putting them in the dryer. I might have to buy some of those net bags as I'm running out of holey socks.
Both great suggestions :D I am glad I asked

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
all bowls get washed 2X a day. I keep telling the kids they don't like to eat and drink out of dirty dishes so neither do the dogs. as for bedding - I try to change the sheets once a week ;) on our bed....

Toys don't last long enough to warrant cleaning.
cc

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
bowls go in the dishwasher when dirty - i have about 12 bowls so it doesnt go every day (they are stainless steel) and many meals dont need bowls, period, so a lot of times its simply from thawing things.

crates are washed out when needed. the car crate, very rarely - though i do wash the bed in there every month or so.

the inside crate gets washed more, simply because sometimes he eats raw meat in there. i wash it with mrs. meyers or parsley cleaner.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The crates and room are cleaned thoroughly at least once a week. Sometimes twice, depends on how my allergies are acting. An all around vacuuming of the entire room and crates. The crates get cleaned out with Simple Solutions cleaner. All blankets and soft toys get washed as needed. Usually the blankets are washed once a week.

The toys don't usually make it to a washing. They make it to the "need mending" pile. Rubber toys like kongs I don't buy. They don't play with them. Tried everything imaginable for that one and gave them all away.

Food bowls get cleaned as needed.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I do pretty much the same thing as above. Car blanket get washed as needed (nylon/ploar fleece). Dog bed cover goes in the wash every 10 days or so, crate bankets more often, then vacuuming and wipe-down with a cleaner. Dog bed mattress in dryer on high to kill any kritters that might be lurking, although no problems w/ fleas to date (knock wood). Stuffies are washed as well (mending is a given). Have ebony hardwood throughout so that helps hide the black dog hair, but only barely. It's the dog hair on the floor OUTSIDE the crate that makes me crazy. I swear I vacuumed up a new puppy's worth when her spring coat was coming in! Kongs and steel bowls either hand-washed in hot soapy water or in the dishwasher. I find that I am trying to steer clear of toxic cleaners and bring the minimum in the house to get the job done.

Baby wipes on hand in case Java gets slobbered on @ dog park. Purell & wipes for me so that steering wheel doesn't become a lab experiment...Now use an older canvas tote to keep these items, along w/ her travel bowl, an extra collar and lead and juice bottle of water in the car so that I don't re-invent the wheel every time we leave the house.

Yard gets poop-scooped daily. Gosh my hubby is lucky I'm so low-maintenance...

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Mrs b is mad about cleaning dog stuff she changes Mischa's crate bed daily and the throws on the dog sofa's weekly,she usually sprays some sort of anti-bacterial spray round the crate then wipes it clean(don't ask me the name of the stuff it's a woman thing, i just pay for it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts