Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Can a dog be claustrophobic? I am curious. I swear that Kyrah is.
I would imagine they can be. I know a lot fo dogs have trouble with the chute in agiilty. It's all closed in around them and they have to push through to get out.

The smaller the area, the higher chance my last dobe was going to be an a** to one of the ther dogs. The bigger the area, the more relaxed he was.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,367 Posts
Yes, I think my Dax was. She hated her crate from day one. And we took an agility class and she was the only one who would not go through the tunnel. The people had it down as small as possible and we had to pull her through. She wanted nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Luci is. She doesn't mind her huge wire crate (not that she goes in it anymore) but she hated the closed in plastic air crate. Also, she will not go through a doorway if its only partially open. She won't push her way through it either, she just stops and stands there and looks at you like she thinks she won't fit.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers!

Hmm..I didnt think of the tunnel. That is her favorite thing. She bolts thru it. When I put hers out she runs through it in and out for about 5 minutes. She is ok with the chute also.

I agree that with Kyrah its the same thing the bigger the area the more comfortable she is.

I am really trying to stick with a schedule for the next couple weeks on crate training again. Last night she was in for 45minutes. I only left the room for 10mins. She only panted for a min or so. Then when I let her out she puked. :( Poor baby.

I think I am going to for the next couple weeks just stay in the room with her for an hour let her out and then start leaving for 5 mins and increase from there. That is if I can stick with it. I am trying to find another large kennel to put in the dinning room. So it will be easier for me.

ETA: hjgrl; I am glad I taught her to push open doors when she was a puppy. B/c yes, I see that same behavior sometimes.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When Maiya was peeing in her crate every time we left her, I did some reading on the internet on that subject and it is thought (by some) that dogs can be claustrophobic.

I wonder if it (sometimes) has less to do with the size of space but more to do with the feeling that they can't escape the enclosed space. Perhaps that is why Kyrah is okay with the tunnel - she isn't trapped in it. For my own dogs, I always use the wire crates and not the plastic crates.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
When Maiya was peeing in her crate every time we left her, I did some reading on the internet on that subject and it is thought (by some) that dogs can be claustrophobic.

I wonder if it (sometimes) has less to do with the size of space but more to do with the feeling that they can't escape the enclosed space. Perhaps that is why Kyrah is okay with the tunnel - she isn't trapped in it. For my own dogs, I always use the wire crates and not the plastic crates.
This sounds like Elke - she has become resistant to being in a confined space. She will go in the crate with the door open but she doesn't like to be closed in. I think it's that trapped feeling.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I use her wire crate. She had a plastic in the begining. If you dont mind and remember where you found some info on it I would love the link. I tried to google it but couldnt find anything. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts