Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello every one i purchased my pup front his breeder circlemdobermans.com i want to know if any one has ever heard of them or ever purchased from them. all input is wanted. so far my puppy is great and looks healthy

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Honestly, they aren't a breeder I'd personally be involved with. There are a few red flags, that suggest they aren't the greatest breeder.
1. They use the same stud dog on ALL their bitches. There's no way possible he is THE BEST dog for every single bitch they own. Also usually good breeders look outside their kennel for the best match. It seems to me that it is a breeding of convenience for them.
2. They seem to be breeding just to "make puppies", not better the breed. It isn't something I support. I believe we need to breed to improve the breed and to do that we need to do SOMETHING with our dogs before we breed them. Conformation, Sch, something. I am not seeing any evidence of that. How do they test them for breeding in those regards?
3. I'm a bit confused about their health testing as in what exactly they do. I can't find their dogs in the OFA datbase which doesn't mean they do NOT test, but not through OFA. What does tested for cardio mean?
4. Their structure leaves a lot to be desired to me.
5. I'm a little confused by the 72 hour health guarantee.
6. Is there any screening for potential buyers or can anyone click on paypal and reserve a puppy?
7. I don't believe all European dogs are superior as far as health. They have health issues just like US Dobes. Some may be healthier, some may not be.

also reputable breeders typically take care of the cropping for their litters vs sending owners out on their own.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I agree with everything Adara mentioned.

I'd just like to add, that it's a huge turn off for me when a breeder takes pictures of the females when they are either extremely pregnant, just had puppies, or locked behind a chain link fence or barricade as a way of advertising her. I think it's unfortunate that they won't make the effort to take the female out and snap some quick pictures of her. Unless they are trying to hide something...

·
Got mutt?
13,646 Posts
Wasn't this breeder discussed not too long ago? I really have problems using the search function, but it seems to me I remember their "guarantee" and statment about the bitches not having any health problems in their entire five generaton pedigree being discussed. Also, something that annoys me is the typo about their dogs being "well bread".

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Not anybody I would purchase from. 72 hour health guarantee and they aren't responsible for anything. Most of the dogs are pretty poor examples of the breed and their claim of no health problems in 5 generations is hogwash, dogs are kenneled and they have a large exercise pen to play in.....

((sigh))... just another greeder looking to line their pockets.

Sorry, OP but you asked. You should have asked before you purchased the puppy. But, what's done is done... Welcome to DT and good luck with your pup.

Oh, and please do some research on the breed. Dobermans are riddled with health problems including the oftentimes silent killer, DCM -- Note: My 9 year old Male looked exceptionally healthy all the way until I found him dead in the yard. You will do well, to educate yourself so you can provide proper care for your new family member and know what to watch for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm curious to know why there are so many people that come on here and ask what everyone thinks of a breeder AFTER they have already purchased a pup from them :S it doesn't seem to make much sense to me..

i knew i wasn't going to be owned by a dobey for a while and my first thought was to search for a forum to learn everything as possible first.

i wish there was some way to get all this information out on the search engines in front of all the breeder websites!

in regards to the OP, i don't know much yet about how to spot a BYB but i didn't get a very nice feeling from their website. their momma dobes looked sad to me, especially behind the fences. :(

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Perhaps common sense aint so common anymore...:(

i'm curious to know why there are so many people that come on here and ask what everyone thinks of a breeder AFTER they have already purchased a pup from them :S it doesn't seem to make much sense to me..

i knew i wasn't going to be owned by a dobey for a while and my first thought was to search for a forum to learn everything as possible first.

i wish there was some way to get all this information out on the search engines in front of all the breeder websites!

in regards to the OP, i don't know much yet about how to spot a BYB but i didn't get a very nice feeling from their website. their momma dobes looked sad to me, especially behind the fences. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
puppy

i'm actually very happy that i bought this dog. it's been receiving compliments and have had many people ask where i bought him. he's a beautiful dog. and looks much healthier compared to other doberman puppies

·
joie de vivre
11,199 Posts
If you're happy with the breeder you chose that's great. But I hope you don't put on blinders as to what kind of breeder they are.

If I were you, I'd educate myself as much as possible on the serious and fatal health problems that commonly afflict this breed because the thyroid and vWD testing they do on their dogs isn't going to tell you a damn thing when it comes to DCM - the #1 killer of Dobermans.

Good luck with your pup. I hope you stick around the forum. It's full of good information.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
i'm actually very happy that i bought this dog. it's been receiving compliments and have had many people ask where i bought him. he's a beautiful dog. and looks much healthier compared to other doberman puppies
I'm glad you're happy with your puppy, and I hope you're able to *stay* happy over the long term, because you beat the odds on health and temperament.

I had a wonderful red boy who was a rescue, had tons of conformation flaws, and everywhere I went folks oooh'd and aaaah'd over him, tried to talk me into breeding him (I had him neutered), and just generally thought he was the prettiest dog they'd seen in ever, including my vet.

He was NOT a good example of a Doberman, structurally--they just weren't expert enough in conformation to see that. He did have a very super nice temperament, thankfully, and that made it all the harder to lose him at only age 3, due to dilated cardiomyopathy.

I have a lot of anger (think tsunami proportions) against whoever bred him, from untested breeding animals, and hope you never are unlucky enough to find out what that feels like for yourself.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I too have a rescued BYB dobe.... He is around 5. He is oversized. He has severe muscle loss due to rx drugs and hypothyroid, he has severe allergies that cause excessive flaking, dull brittle hair, and he has numerous bald spots on his underside and armpits. He also has extremely 'mottled' skin that is black thick and raised in large areas. He is on the thin side (because I am trying to maintain his joints), and he has a 'smart bump' on his head. He prances 'all flashy like' like a fool with one of his arms (that is not set at the correct angle into his shoulder) sticking out, and he is indifferent towards everyone we meet that is not a female dog trainer.

Despite all of this, every where we go, I get comments on how big, beautiful, and athletic he is. When he 'prances' around the human park, I always hear "Oh my gosh look at that pretty dog!"

I love my dog, but he is certainly not a good representation of a Doberman, and it is obvious that the general public does not realize this.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
If you are happy, why ask about the breeder? You have your pup, you are happy, done. You like all others will defend your purchase no matter what anyone posts....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts