Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chanel (3 years old, we haven't had her for a week yet) loves chasing her chuck-it ball.

I think it's her favorite toy, however the fact that she'd like to keep it is causing some play difficulty for us.

She will run after the ball and come all the way back to the thrower the first time. After that, she'll stop about 20 to 30 feet away & just chew it. If you walk up to her, she'll drop it on command and get ready to run again. We just can't get her to come all the way to us every time, even with treats. (I don't know how she was in the past with the previous owner. She's mostly responsive, although not always on the first command.)

I'm not sure if she's hot & stopping in the shade, if she's just really wanting to chew her ball (until this morning I kept the 'outdoor' toys separate & didn't give them to her) or if we are in a power struggle & she just wants us to come to her.

I've tried stopping the play when she doesn't return - just take the ball when she drops & we go do something else, but a couple of days of that just meant that we didn't play.

Any suggestions on which way to work with this?

(I haven't tried two balls yet, I could have the second one ready to go when she's at her 20 foot mark so that I can 'retrieve' it myself when she's not looking......)
Kate

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
It's taken Basil about a month or 2 to get the hang of the idea that if he brings a toy back to me, I will throw it again for him. Prior to that he'd just run off with it under the table and kill it. I'm working on these skills inside until he gets the hang of it and I can transfer it to a larger area (outside). I just kept retrieving it and repetition...eventually he worked it out...and now I've created a monster! :lol: (throw the toy is now frequently demanded) :D

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I also use 2 balls with Indy, works great.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I meant to add that once they really understand that "drop it" means the next ball will be tossed, I can use only one ball after that. They'll come in and drop the ball for me to pick up and throw again. When babies though, I usually always start with 2 toys, 2 balls, etc so they understand that keep away is not necessary.

(For dogs who are not ball crazy, 2 fluffy toys is a great way to get them to want to retrieve and then you can play a little tug when they come back to mix it up.)

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 balls are working really well. She drops on command - the only issue is when she's 20 feet away. I'm letting her have a ball in the house & she's figured out "where's your ball, bring me your ball' & I can get her a closer that way.

Half the time I'm not commanding the drop, she's arriving, dropping and waiting for me to release the next one. (I say "GO" on release and that's helping her wait - otherwise she just starts running & I can't change the direction/terrain.)
Kate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts