Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to posting but I've been lurking for a while now. I've had a doberman before but i had to give her up due to a divorce, I was young and dumb when I got her and made a lot of bad, uneducated mistakes. But I was lucky enough to have her grow up to be a beautiful, healthy and well adjusted girl.

I miss her dearly and have recently been bitten by the puppy bug, I'm not looking to get another dog for a few more years but I figured the more education and research I do the better the outcome would be. I'm really just looking for a buddy, but I also have a high interest in therapy work. I've worked with disabled war vets and just LOVE them, and my future career is going to be in a hospital setting.

I've been looking into breeders here on the west coast and have narrowed it down to two but I'm basing it mostly on the appearance of the dogs, and the recommendations of this forum, (of course they have titles and health testing) but what other things does one look for when selecting a breeder?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
IMO all dobermans are beautiful to look at. Health and temperament are the top 2 in my book. I would also look at longevity in the dog's pedigree. Ask the breeder to discuss cause of death in the pedigree too.

Check out the link in my signature line for a good breeder checklist.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I look for health testing and titles on not only the dogs used for breeding but also on most of the other dogs in the pedigree (titles on both ends are preferred).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, how do you choose between two excellent breeders? I have montwood nearby, and have heard wonderful things about their dogs, but I love the look of the Firefox dobes up in Oregon where I am origionally from, and it looks like they've had some dogs do therapy work, which is ultimately what I would like to do.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
So, how do you choose between two excellent breeders? I have montwood nearby, and have heard wonderful things about their dogs, but I love the look of the Firefox dobes up in Oregon where I am origionally from, and it looks like they've had some dogs do therapy work, which is ultimately what I would like to do.
I think it's important to find a breeder with whom you can have a long term relationship. So at some point in time, the personality of the breeder has to be considered. There are people out there who breed very nice dogs, but I just don't get along with them, we're not a good match. I'd look elsewhere for a puppy.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Also, you need to consider what kind of jobs you will do with your dog; what kind of lifestyle you have, and what kind of drive the dogs of the different breeders have. Is there a certain kind of training you'd like to pursue? If not, what is your usual activity level? Matching a dog's temperament to yours is a breeder's job, but you also need to be aware of what kind of lines your dog will have, and what they will be apt to do as far as training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, you need to consider what kind of jobs you will do with your dog; what kind of lifestyle you have, and what kind of drive the dogs of the different breeders have. Is there a certain kind of training you'd like to pursue? If not, what is your usual activity level? Matching a dog's temperament to yours is a breeder's job, but you also need to be aware of what kind of lines your dog will have, and what they will be apt to do as far as training.
Well I'd love to do therapy work, and looking through the Firefox website she has dogs that are certified, but montwood doesn't really have a website and i'm so many years off from actually buying a puppy I guess I don't want to bother the breeders with questions.

·
Super Moderator
21,981 Posts
Like you, I'm several years away from a puppy. I am doing a lot of early research, and right now, I know which breeder I like best. But, with a few years to go, I will be watching the breeding program to make sure I still like the direction they are going, and also honestly evaluating what I want in a dog to make sure they are still a good match for me. I wouldn't be applying until I was closer to getting a pup - maybe when I'm a year off. I don't think it hurts to ask a few questions of a breeder even if you aren't ready for a pup yet. They are busy, and may take some time to get back to you, but I think a lot of good breeders are happy to talk about their breeding program, goals, etc.

I know at least one Foxfire dog doing therapy work very successfully. You might send a PM to member "bean" - her dog Silas is doing therapy work and is a Foxfire dog picked specifically for that purpose, I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts