Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chi went for a run this afternoon without me!!!!

The weather is awesome today, so I let her stay out on her tie-out (normally if she's outside, I'm with her) and chew on a bone while I sat in the living room doing homework. I had all the windows and the sliding glass door open to keep an eye on her and hear if anything was going on.

I heard her chewing, she was laying right under the window! But then all of a sudden, Jordan and her friends came running up to the front door. "Momma, there's a dog out here running around that looks JUST LIKE CHI!!!" I swear, I flew to the front door! There she was, bouncing circles around the girls. She saw me and just looked so happy LOL. She pounced right in the front door like everything was just good and great in the world.

My neighbor came over and said she had watched her running around in the field for about 10 or 15 min but figured it couldn't be Chi because she knows how neurotic I am about her. Evidentally, she ran right up to Buddy (her dog and her normal mortal enemy) and initiated play. She was not growly or scared around the kids, she was bouncing around them like they were her best friends... I'm so glad she was like that, 15 minutes ago, I would have been convinced that although she's come a long way with her training around them, she would eat them if I would let her...

This just goes to show that my reaction when dogs/kids or other people approach is a huge determining factor on how Chi will react AND that possibly, the problems that she has could be territorial (everything within that 6ft radius of her leash is "hers"). Good info to know. Can certainly use this info to further her training and socialization. Also need to go out and buy a harness that she can't slip out of in case I ever want to let her stay out and chew on her bones again LOL :) Of course I found her collar still firmly attached to the tie out on the back patio.
Don't know if my heart rate will come back to normal tonight. Thank God she behaved herself. I just can not imagine what "could" have happened.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
In a way, you got a good girl there....Even when your not around, she behaved exactly the way you wanted, with the exception of getting loose. I think you are exactly right about us creating issues by our emotions. They do pick up alot of stuff from us. If we worry about a situation, it definately transfers to them.

(Another Kratty story coming) We went to Barkfest after OB class back in the summer. About 400+ dogs, all on leash in one area. Well the sudo wife wanted to walk Nikita around in the area. Her frame of mind was exactly focused, because we saw another doberman in the middle of the crowd, which I pointed out, and the sudo wife made a bee-line into the crowd to meet that person. She had no fears of what could happen, just went into the crowd with confidence, which transfered to Nikita. Nikita was an angel, initiating play and not worrying about the other dogs. I think she was around 7 months old at the time. I stood back and was in awe of what was happening. The right frame of mind is a key....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Good Job Chi!! Not in getting loose and making your mommy have a heart attack, but good job not eating any small children!! And staying around home!

You're right guys, we transmit our anxieties to them unknowingly, that's great she was such a great girl when off leash!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
When we got Gracie they told us that dobermans are the escape artists of dogs. They said that almost any collar that is loose enough they can slip out of. So I make sure Gracie's is a little more snuge.

One time I was working on her heel in the backyard. She slipped out of her collar and ran around me. Letting me see her new little trick. All I could think was "Thank God this didn't happen while we were outside of our fence!!!"

Was Petri the one chewing on the bone then or were you hearing things? Chi don't you know that you are suppose to stay in your yard? Your mom is suppose to be the one to take you for a walk/run. Good job with the kids and the other dog though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts