Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just got back from meeting a new and much more confident trainer (he's pretty cute too :). He supports very traditional obedience and although I would rather train with more positive methods, I kind of have to take what I can get and this guy, Travis is really awesome especially considering the last trainer I met...
At any rate we met him this morning at the park. He brought his lab, Zeus (who Jordan fell in love with after he literally played on the jungle gym and slid down the slides with her). Chi went crazy when she saw Zeus, which has been typical of her lately. She'll introduce herself to a new dog as this big bad Dobe that wants to eat them, until she gets nose to nose and then she's completely submissive. Travis encouraged Chi to come to him and she did after just a minute or so but she wasn't all happy lets go play, she was definately reserved. He took her leash and she didn't want to leave me but after just the smallest encouragement she reluctantly followed him. Within 10 minutes he had her attention. We did use a training collar but as reluctant as I was with this I have to acknowledge that the entire time her ears and tail were up and in no way seemed to be hurt or even stressed. About 15 min. into the session a lady walked up with an Akita and I about jumped out of my skin when Chi kept her attention on Travis and not the Akita (who I might add was barking and pulling toward her). Then I got the leash and well I'm the old dog learning the new tricks now. Coordinating adequate correction and praise along with what foot to start with and how to place proper hand signals is a bit much but I'll get it :) But Chi and Travis both were forgiving and patient with me and by the end of the 1 hour session, Travis, Jordan and I were able to walk both dogs through the park without any real offenses. WooHoo! We'll meet again next week for round 2.
I could not believe the difference that hour made. At 8 oclock (I will add her reaction this morning was the worst I've ever seen) she was an out of control nut job and by 9 she was just absolutely pleasant, still nutty but pleasant :) His next client (the smallest Boston Terrier I've ever seen) came as we were leaving. Travis suggested cueing Chi with "say hi" when it's okay to meet another dog and rather than her acting nutty for a full 5 minutes she only was silly for a few seconds before I got her attention back on me and then "said hi" very appropriately :) I think that as long as I'm consistant, Chi will be the model Doberman quite quickly :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
WOW!! I'm so happy to hear you were successful in the trainer search! And he sounds very knowledgable too!

You must have been very proud of CHi as she "transformed" Keep us updated on the training! I want to hear more!

·
Registered
281 Posts
sounds like a great trainer who knows his stuff..before you knwo it chi will be the model dobe with a very proud owner..Harvey shocked me when i first started training classes at the speed he picked it up :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts