Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this posted on facebook and I thought that I would share.

"Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus

Dobermans needed for PSA video shoot in Chicago Sunday, July 8 (tomorrow) at 2p.m.

To protest a random pit and Dobe ban at the Randolph Street fair, Chicago Sociabulls wants to film a PSA showing well-behaved pits and Dobes at the dog-friendly West Fest street fair at Chicago and Damen in the city Sunday. They need some crowd-friendly Dobes. Here's the site for the fest. http://westfestchicago.com/​fest/

If you are available to bring your well-behaved Dobe to West Fest tomorrow (Sunday), please email Anita at [email protected] to let her know you are coming. Dogs are meeting at the Pup area at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

Thanks!"

·
Registered
959 Posts
IMO breed legislation stinks. It’s a slippery slope that potentially affects us all, no matter what our breed of choice is. With that said, I’ve got mixed feelings about the way some choose to protest it.

For example, let’s say there was a push by members of the public for new laws banning dump trucks in residential areas because kids were playing in the street and getting run over. Rounding up a handful of professional drivers in specially modified trucks to put on a demonstration of how they can avoid kids playing in the street doesn’t address the problem. In fact, it most likely will exacerbate the problem by making parents feel like it’s safe for their kids to play in the streets with dump trucks driving around.

The real problem is kids playing in the street and no amount of professional driving demonstration with exceptional trucks is going to change that.

From what I read and hear, the problem is that there are already too many people who fail to recognize that breeds have certain characteristics that belong with the breed. Showing off a bunch of Pitts that can hang out with other dogs just fine is just going to encourage more Bubba&Suzies to go out and get one. Then they are going to be shocked when their neighbors start complaining about the dog attacking other dogs. Other people who saw the demonstration of all the ‘nice’ Pitts are going to give a bunch of meaningless advice. Eventually the “bad” Pitt is going to either end up mauling someone’s pet or else in the shelter. Or maybe both.

All because Bubba&Suzie never considered that perhaps the dog is genetically programmed to fight; and that if they like all the other characteristics of a Pitt, owning one means that they will spend the lifetime of the dog managing the fighting aspect of his genetics.

We need more responsible ownership. It isn’t reasonable to expect people to exercise responsibility over something they don’t even understand. Pretending that all dogs of all breeds are the same is not educating the public and doesn’t encourage responsible ownership.

I wish Illinois Rescue the best and appreciate that they are putting forth the effort to try and do something, but I’m not so sure that this sort of thing doesn’t hurt more than it helps in the long run.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Thanks for posting Astra. The group shooting the PSA is Chicago Sociabulls . I do feel it is important for people to see that there are well socialized dobes and bullys. The focus in legislation needs to be on responsible ownership of ALL breeds not BSL.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Thanks for posting Astra. The group shooting the PSA is Chicago Sociabulls . I do feel it is important for people to see that there are well socialized dobes and bullys. The focus in legislation needs to be on responsible ownership of ALL breeds not BSL.
Kelli--Any idea how long they will be shooting? I would love to bring Rowan out especially since the weather has finally cooled off! But I have a bday party I am supposed to go to. I could probably show up late to the party, but I'd feel bad missing the whole thing :/

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Just in case anyone else is interested in going--I talked to Anita who is organizing it and she said it is going to be very informal, so you can stay as long (or short) as you want. Also, they want all the dogs in the video to be on standard, non-retractable leashes.

The website for the fest West Fest Chicago gives more description, but sounds like the "Pup Fest" will be fun...vendors and activities for the dogs. Rowan and I are going to go...hope to see lots of awesome dobes there!

Reactions: astra

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Sorry I missed your post earlier SpecialK - Let us know how it was.

I am going to try and get to one on the 28th with Pete.

They are working on something else for Saturday 7/28 at the Randolph street fair if you can save the date.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Thanks, I think I am free the 28th, so I will pencil it in for now. Anita said she would email me too, so hopefully she will give me more details when it gets closer.

The fest today was fun, not too many people showed up though. Couple of pits from the Sociabulls group and another dobe owner. I did get a lot of comments and positive attention just walking through the fest with Rowan though. People wanting to pet him, commenting on how good looking he is, etc. so that was fun and of course he ate it up. He also got to do some "paw painting", got tattooed and made a tie dyed handkerchief. :D

Will be nice to meet some IDR peeps though, keep me posted if you hear anything about the 28th.

Reactions: ZeldaRules
1 - 7 of 7 Posts