Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday late morning, I took Chi out for a game of frisbee. We played for about 20 or 25 minutes. She was tired and panting pretty hard but wasn't exhausted when I ended the game. I put her leash on to bring her in and she started jumping around and basically acting like an ass trying to steal the discs from my hand - a big no, no! I decided a quick refresher in walking nicely even with the frisbees in sight was in order. I told her to heel, walked forward maybe 10 steps and stopped. She stopped but didn't sit, I told her to sit, she looked at me and her eyes kind of glassed over, she swayed for a second and then just fell over on her side. She was out for maybe 3 seconds (seemed like 3 hours) and then looked up at me like "what the hell just happened", got up and started bouncing around again. I brought her in, she walked in fine - She wanted to gulp water but I rationed it... She acted fine the rest of the day and is fine again this morning.
Has anyone experienced this before? I'm hesitant to take her out again this morning. I thought maybe it was warmer outside than I thought. I had been out mowing the lawn and was used to the temp but she came straight out from the A/C. Although, I doubt it could have been much warmer than the low 80's, probably closer to high 70's - temps that she's certainly acclimated to.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
Has anyone experienced this before? I'm hesitant to take her out again this morning. I thought maybe it was warmer outside than I thought. I had been out mowing the lawn and was used to the temp but she came straight out from the A/C. Although, I doubt it could have been much warmer than the low 80's, probably closer to high 70's - temps that she's certainly acclimated to.
Yeah, I've experienced something similiar. I don't mean to scare you, but I'd have her holtered..dobermans that have the rhythm disturbance form of DCM can appear to "faint". What really causes it is the irregular heartbeat causes not enough blood to make it to the brain, it's called syncope.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll talk to the doc when we go in for her annual this week. I'll be honest, that was my first thought after I got in and calmed down. I'm not going to hold my breath on being able to get a holter or having her tested as long as we're here. This vet clinic is a very bare bones one. It's here primarily for the military working dogs but they do provide basic services for service members pets.
Would it help to keep her calmer? (yeah right, keeping a 17 month old Dobe pup calm!) Maybe rather than 1, 20-30 min game of frisbee, substitute 2, 10-15 min games? Longer walks rather than shorter runs?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
TracyJo said:
Would it help to keep her calmer? (yeah right, keeping a 17 month old Dobe pup calm!) Maybe rather than 1, 20-30 min game of frisbee, substitute 2, 10-15 min games? Longer walks rather than shorter runs?
Well, one thing in her favor is her age..while it's not impossible for a dog that young to have DCM, it's more common in dogs older than this.

I don't know what to tell you about keeping her calmer. When it happened to one of my dogs, she was restricted from most exercise until we could get her on meds and her heart rhythm stabilized. Even going up a set of stairs was enough to cause her to keel over and "faint", so my husband was carrying her up and down the stairs and lifting her in and out of bed. Would I do that with a young dog prior to being holtered, and without a diagnosis of DCM? Almost certainly not.

It's not cast in stone that's the problem, either..it's also possible it could be some kind of seizure activity. Or maybe something to do with being overheated.

I'd keep my eye on her, and if it happens again, see if you can figure out any kind of pattern to the incidents. If you're taking her in for a checkup, I'd have them draw blood and do a complete chem panel.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Tracy, I panicked when i saw the the thread so god knows what you must have been like when it happened,i don't know what to say ,i know the vets there are basic and the chance of a holter is next to nothing but i would ask if there is a chance of getting one,i would most certainly cut down her exercise a bit. Juno used to run herself into the ground until she lay down and would not get up till she recovered a little but she never passed out,i have got everything here crossed and hope she is o.k. just keep an eagle eye on her.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Hoping for the best...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
just as an another possibility...a woman i work with had a lab...when it was a puppy is was bouncing around and playing...then suddenly dropped to the ground. I guess the dog was hypoglycemic...she gave him a banana or something and was better...i dont know just a possibility...and the only thing I have heard of a dog fainting. Let us know what the doc says eventually or if you learn more about what it could have been through some research.
oh and give Chi a hug from me and duch :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gosh, I hope Chi is okay. Poor girl and poor you. I would have been a wreck if I saw that.

One other thing I would like to throw out there. Could it have been a panic attack? When Cubby (my cat) sees a bunch of new people he will start drooling and his eyes look weird then he will just fall over. His last maybe 5 seconds. I don't know if dogs are the same in that sense or not. I just wanted to add something as well.

Please let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and concern.
I did end up taking her out for a short game today - The weather was so nice and cool and she was bouncing off the walls. I kept the game short and not as fast paced. Yesterday, I had two discs, the second she delivered one, I'd toss the other... Today, only one disc and several rest intervals where we'd practice a long down or something for her to catch her breath. No hint of dizziness or fainting. It very well could have been heat related yesterday -or- I got to thinking... When I run or finish a really strenuous workout, I have to keep moving until my heart rate is down, if I just stop, I keel over or puke. I wonder if she's the same way... Maybe just standing still after such an intense workout did the same to her that it would have done to me...
I'm certainly going to talk to the Doc when we go in and keep an eagle eye on her...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hoping for the best for Chi! I'm praying it was a one time thing that never happens again.... I can only imagine how I would have paniced, you bet 3 seconds would seem like 3 hours.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't have any experience in this but hoping for the best Tracy.

Good Luck
Naveen

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hope this does not happen again Tracy, maybe it was a combination of heat Chi over doing it a bit.

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
TracyJo said:
I got to thinking... When I run or finish a really strenuous workout, I have to keep moving until my heart rate is down, if I just stop, I keel over or puke. I wonder if she's the same way...
I hate to be a negative Nelly but I think you're heading into wishful thinking territory. I specifically brought this subject up with Dr. O'Grady at one time. Basicly, he said, syncope is syncope. It's not brought on by lack of a cool down or any of the other things we like to think. If the heart isn't operating normally, the heart isn't operating normally and all of our excuses and reasons aren't going to will the problem away.

Obviously, I don't know what happened with Chi but I would be very, very concerned about her heart at this time.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MaryAndDobes said:
I hate to be a negative Nelly but I think you're heading into wishful thinking territory. I specifically brought this subject up with Dr. O'Grady at one time. Basicly, he said, syncope is syncope. It's not brought on by lack of a cool down or any of the other things we like to think. If the heart isn't operating normally, the heart isn't operating normally and all of our excuses and reasons aren't going to will the problem away.

Obviously, I don't know what happened with Chi but I would be very, very concerned about her heart at this time.
Mary,
I don't think you're being a Negative Nelly, you're being a realist :)
Of course I'm wishing/hoping it's something simple and nothing serious but appreciate how serious it could be and am dedicated to doing all that I can do for her. If we were in the US, she'd have already been to the Doc with my list of concerns. Unfortunately, our options are severely limited here and I can only do so much....
I've been talking to friends about off-base vets. If our base clinic can't do anything for us, I'm going to ask them about one that I've heard a lot of good about on the economy. But although I've heard good reports about this Doc, I have concerns, I know that he's had my neighbors dog on steroids with nary a break in the treatment for about 2.5 years now - I'm not a vet, but I know that steroids over an extended period of time are not good...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts