Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sarge
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 2 months old and loves to chew on everything but his own toys, ESPECIALLY his bed. When will this stop or slow down? I've tried bully sticks and he gets bored with it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood! Puppies like to chew especially if they are bored. He's still very young so he should never be out of your sight to be able to chew things. You can try bitter apple spray but he could be like my pup and love it haha just hang in there the chewing and biting lasts for a little cause their puppies and then teething starts. Redirect, redirect, redirect. It's the best advice :) also a tired pup is a good pup so wear your boy out.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Be very careful with the bed chewing, especially unsupervised. Bcuz once the chewing is not entertaining they will start eating it.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
The worse is yet to come and one reason you need to work on it now. It is not something solved overnight and consistency and patience are your weapons of choice.

·
Sarge
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What have you done that works? I've tried the kong toys, bully stick, rope. It works for 5 mins (if that) then he gets bored and starts chewing on his bed. Any tips? Also, at what aeg do they stop chewing around??

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Basically the same stuff as kwhite30 mentioned. Coupled with sweaters and lots of patience.
My guy is only 6.5 months but I still got a boneyard and toys all over the place. During their uptimes, if they are not tired you have to stimulate them both physically and mentally, or if left to their own devices they will chew and bite. That's all they know at this stage, you have to be there teacher.
I just finished play fighting with Nubis, he layed down with us for a little bit and now his happily snoozing in his crate.
If your guy is 8 weeks he should be getting lots of sleep time when you decide.not when he decided to crash.
You have to remember an overtired pup is not good either, as they get their second wind and comeback with vengence.

Reactions: kwhite30

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
What are you stuffing Kongs with? You can try filling one with a good quality canned food (or ground raw food) and freezing it... give it to your pup frozen.

A raw whole steer femur is nice, and your pup is too little to drag it around, yet, so it will stay where you put it.

Puzzle toys that must be rolled around to release food bits. He can have the last part of his meals from one of these. Baby puppies are soooo starving that I think it's kinda cruel to give the whole meal from toys... takes too long and is too frustrating for starving puppies.

Puppies enjoy destroying stuff. Cardboard boxes are good for this... time-consuming and then easy for people to pick up the confetti. He can also begin to learn the concept of his and not-his with things like this.

Mostly, it is not items or objects that your pup needs. It is interactive play time with his people.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I am not sure I get this...
I should have reworded it, what I was trying to say, a good percentage of his day should be sleeping because if the pup is overtired than chewing will increase to.

·
Registered
793 Posts
redirect. Can't stress that hard enough. when you see him starting to chew on the bed say no and give him something he can chew, like a toy. Be very consistant with this. And I wouldn't put any bedding in his crate until the chewing stops. Also, a flirt pole works wonders for getting them nice and tired, just make sure you are very controlled with it, you dont want them jumping and injuring their growth plates at this young age. I agree with kwhite, a tired pup is a good pup. Oh and the wobblers work great too and keeping them busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts