Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaiser is now 15 months old and his chest doesn't really appear to have filled out. His build just doesn't look like it's developing into an adult build. I don't know exactly when that is supposed to happen, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself... I don't know.

Anyway, I was wondering if this could be because he was neutered fairly early (vet recommended it) or something else? He doesn't lift his leg either.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
This is a very slow maturing breed-I don't look for a male to be mature until age 3 or so.

That being said, it also can come down to breeding-some males (and females) just don't have the genetics to have a lot of substance and be full bodied.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Did you see his parents?

Prime didn't fill out until close to 2, his chest bloomed early on though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually had this same question. I have a male that I got last October at 10 months of age. He was very thin and full of tapeworms so I assumed he was lagging developmentally because of his previous care but I've put almost 20 lbs on him and still not much chest. He doesn't look bad, my daughter shows him and just finished him two weeks ago with BOB/G4 wins that weekend then BOB/Select/Select the next weekend but she was told by 3 different pro handlers that he is too immature looking to be a Special. He turned 18 months old two days ago so I'm still watching for a chest.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If you guys are looking for more forechest, you might want to consider if their upper arm is too short/straight. This places the whole front assembly too far forward on the body, and reduces the amount of visible forechest...a VERY common fault in this breed. If that's the case, you aren't ever going to get any more forechest.

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I think it depends mostly on genetics for how much they'll fill out and when it happens.

Tali was filled out and hasn't changed much since 2.5 years old (she's 4 now). Fiona started to fill out some around 2 but still looked kinda scrawny until 2.5 (scrawny all over - not just a lack of chest). She has really filled out and started to look mature just in the last 6-months (she's 3 now).

I'm not sure about Tali's chest at 15-months since she wasn't my dog then, but Fiona had no chest to speak of at 15-months old. Poor girl wouldn't have even needed a training bra if she were a human teen. :) She started getting her chest between 2 and 2.5 yrs.

ETA...Yes to what Murreydobe said. Fiona and Tali's upper arms are short and straight. Before Fi filled out her chest was nearly as flat as a board.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dylan has not got much chest to speak of. But he, like many other dobes in recent years, has a very straight front. Beautiful when looking from the front, but lacking when viewed from the side. His dam had a nice front, but daddy was straight like him. He's almost 21 months old, and I know he has some additional filling out to do, but I do not expect him to develop much more in the way of forechest. That's okay, I love him anyway.

Oh, and he squats to pee, too. Which I don't mind one bit. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
ok, I now understand what you mean by straight front. This one:

This would be a short/straight upper arm. Notice that the layback of the shoulders (scapula) is pretty decent. This can vary by degree, too-some dogs have visible forechest but still have a short/straight upper arm, it just affects how much forechest is visible.

A "straight front" is frequently used to describe a dog with upright shoulders.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
and if I understand correctly, this will affect maximum reach.

This would be a short/straight upper arm. Notice that the layback of the shoulders (scapula) is pretty decent. This can vary by degree, too-some dogs have visible forechest but still have a short/straight upper arm, it just affects how much forechest is visible.

A "straight front" is frequently used to describe a dog with upright shoulders.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts