Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this dog? If so, I would be interested in hearing about him - either via this thread or PM.

My Audrey-girl is by him, so I am interested in learning more.

Edit with some additional information: he is BIS/BISS Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder x Ch Wingate's Flashback CD ROM. I would be interested in learning more about these dogs as well.

Thanks in advance ...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Can't really help, but our own Murreydobe is listed as a breeder of CH Soquels Distant Thunder, so she would be a good person to ask. ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't really help, but our own Murreydobe is listed as a breeder of CH Soquels Distant Thunder, so she would be a good person to ask. ;)
Thanks. I didn't click forward on the parents.

No he is not alive. My understanding - died in 06 or 07.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Anyone know anything about this dog? If so, I would be interested in hearing about him - either via this thread or PM.

My Audrey-girl is by him, so I am interested in learning more.

Edit with some additional information: he is BIS/BISS Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder x Ch Wingate's Flashback CD ROM. I would be interested in learning more about these dogs as well.

Thanks in advance ...
What do you want to know?

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
I have the same question that StarlaineK9 has--what did you want to know?

The litter was bred by Cheri & Jeff Helsdon in Gig Harbor, Washington. I know that four of the litter finished a black bitch Zoe, Ch Juris Clear and Convincing; a couple other black dogs, Parker, Ch Juris If It Please The Court and Kirby, Ch Juris Material Witness and of course Ch Juris Reign Storm At Soquel.

I know that Kirby was still alive and more than kicking as he was entered in Veterans at the Mt Hood Specialty on January 19, 2011. Don't know about the other two. Reign, as I recall died fairly young--someone else said 06 or 07 and that sounds about right.

Their dam, Ch Wingate's Flashback CD ROM (Amelia) was a cute little red bitch who was quite pretty except for being a bit long and low (and there was nothing SA behind her).

There's a lot of information about Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder (Thunder) both on these forums and on the internet. He sired a lot of champions, made a mark in the show ring and was absolutely one of the most stunning puppies I've ever seen.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
No he is not alive. My understanding - died in 06 or 07.
Reign died of DCM.

I was one of his co owners when he was a youngster. He was the pick puppy in his litter, and was sent to Linda Hoff as a stud fee puppy.

I don't have any pictures of him uploaded to this laptop. His sire, Thunder, was very prepotent for a particular look and style, Reign lives up to those genetics.

He's one of the grandsires of the very successful red bitch, Ch. Caryola's Antigua, high rankings in the current top twenty.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There's a lot of information about Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder (Thunder)... and was absolutely one of the most stunning puppies I've ever seen.
Someday I'll have to scan the picture that was Thunder's first Doberman Quarterly cover, taken when he was about 5 months old. It's still one of my favorite pictures of him.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
There's a lot of information about Ch Soquel's Distant Thunder (Thunder) both on these forums and on the internet. He sired a lot of champions, made a mark in the show ring and was absolutely one of the most stunning puppies I've ever seen.
Thunder.

A puppy champion, finishing at 8 months. Won his first Doberman Specialty the next day as a move up. All breed Best In Show winner at 10 months of age. In total-17 BISS wins, 1 All breed BIS. Top Twenty 2000. DPCA Top Producing Sire 2000. Pedigree top producing sire 2000 (I'm pretty sure he was the top producing sire in the entire working group for this year).

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Gorgeous dog. He sired Reign? Was DCM prevalent in his progeny? Longevity in the line as a whole? He really is a stunning boy!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Gorgeous dog. He sired Reign? Was DCM prevalent in his progeny? Longevity in the line as a whole? He really is a stunning boy!
Yes, he was Reign's sire. Sadly, Thunder produced a lot of DCM. Thunder himself died of DCM, as did five of his littermates. His dam died of DCM.

There was actually excellent longevity on both sides of Thunder's pedigree, lots of dogs living into double digits. So looking for longevity in a pedigree offers no guarantees.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
:-( he is really beautiful. That's sad to hear. I wish there were more "markers" or ways to figure out DCM. It's so damn sad. How old was he when it happened?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
i remember 'hearing' about this awesome puppy dog 'coming out' soon............... I am looking at that cover pick of Thunder right now.

didn't wingate breed to him first or at least one of the first to use him.........i think his first winning son was bred by them.

memory fading.

:)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
:-( he is really beautiful. That's sad to hear. I wish there were more "markers" or ways to figure out DCM. It's so damn sad. How old was he when it happened?
His owner, Linda Hoff, reported Thunder was 10 at time of death. His littermates started dying at around 7.

There were Thunder offspring who were dead by age 4 or so, it seemed like each generation lost a bit more lifespan. That really was the most disturbing thing to me personally. Reign, the dog the OP was asking about, was about 5-6 when he died.

Thunder's dam (who was my bitch) died at 9 years, 10 months of age. She met the average lifepan. While forever would have never been long enough to spend with her, I also accept they're going to die of SOMETHING sooner or later. A death at 10 is just more acceptable to me than a death at 4 (or less).

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
i remember 'hearing' about this awesome puppy dog 'coming out' soon............... I am looking at that cover pick of Thunder right now.

didn't wingate breed to him first or at least one of the first to use him.........i think his first winning son was bred by them.

memory fading.

:)
His first litter was out of a Primo (Ch. Angel's Dark Thunder) daughter owned by two ladies in Los Vegas. They used the kennel name Desert Image. They also owned Journey, Ch. Foxridge's Journey to Soquel. That's probably who're you're thinking of as his "first winning son".

I don't believe Jody Pidino (Wingate) ever bred to Thunder. She bred to Primo, who was Thunder's grandsire, that's probably what you're thinking about.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Someday I'll have to scan the picture that was Thunder's first Doberman Quarterly cover, taken when he was about 5 months old. It's still one of my favorite pictures of him.
I wish you would. I met him at about 5-1/2 months--shortly before that DQ came out--he was at Rose City (I think) with Linda and she had him in a crate with the dogs she was showing--I couldn't take my eye off of him--she took him out and put him through his paces after the judging was over.

Gawd!!! What a beautiful puppy. And down the line I saw (again, shortly before the issue of DQ that it was in (or on--that might have been a cover too--or maybe a back cover) Cheri McNealy showed me a picture that I thought was Thunder. It wasn't--it was one of his best known sons but taken at about the same age as the cover shot of Thunder. Foxridge Journey To Soquel was probably the next most beautiful puppy I'd ever seen and boy did he look like his father.

·
Premium Member
10,274 Posts
Thunder.

A puppy champion, finishing at 8 months. Won his first Doberman Specialty the next day as a move up. All breed Best In Show winner at 10 months of age. In total-17 BISS wins, 1 All breed BIS. Top Twenty 2000. DPCA Top Producing Sire 2000. Pedigree top producing sire 2000 (I'm pretty sure he was the top producing sire in the entire working group for this year).
I like that shot of Thunder--I hadn't seen that picture--smooth, elegant and showy as he could be. And yes he was the top producing sire in the working group for 2000.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
jeeze i went back further than i thought. :)

Primo was a soldier son.

the Primo son wingate bred was.............wingates quiet riot.

i am working on scanning that cover pic.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I wish you would. I met him at about 5-1/2 months--shortly before that DQ came out--he was at Rose City (I think) with Linda and she had him in a crate with the dogs she was showing--I couldn't take my eye off of him--she took him out and put him through his paces after the judging was over.

Gawd!!! What a beautiful puppy. And down the line I saw (again, shortly before the issue of DQ that it was in (or on--that might have been a cover too--or maybe a back cover) Cheri McNealy showed me a picture that I thought was Thunder. It wasn't--it was one of his best known sons but taken at about the same age as the cover shot of Thunder. Foxridge Journey To Soquel was probably the next most beautiful puppy I'd ever seen and boy did he look like his father.
After that DQ cover of Thunder was mailed out, Judy Dodd (owner of the DQ at that time) got masses of phone calls. People were convinced that picture had to be photoshopped. As Bug knows, it wasn't.

Man, you're bringing back some memories, Bug! I remember seeing the litter Journey came from get graded, a litter of two..and everyone going WOW when Journey got put up on the table. His sole littermate, another black male, was also really, really nice but was a uniball.

There were hopes Reign would be the next dog that was "THE ONE". He was a very nice dog at maturity, but not quite a Thunder or a Journey.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
There were Thunder offspring who were dead by age 4 or so, it seemed like each generation lost a bit more lifespan.
As you know, my Thunder son, Rocket, passed away at 11 - he had dcm that was being well managed with meds but we had to make the decision due to degenerative myelopathy.

Rocket only ever sired 4 puppies (2 litters out of the same bitch, who died at 12). My oldest 2 Rocket kids will, knock on wood, be 10 this year, both enrolled in the cardiac program at Guelph and fine so far. The other 2 will, again knock on wood, be 8 this year, one enrolled at Guelph and fine so far.

I don't kid myself - anything could happen (after all, Rocket himself didn't develop dcm until he was 10 1/2), but I don't think we're all losing lifespan because of Thunder. I wonder if you see this more in the many breedings that sought to double, triple, etc on him. Some breeders just move so fast and make it a goal to be the first to double, triple, etc on a beautiful dog, which imo can be a huge detriment.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts