Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have done the CGC test -- what age is good to try this test. I realize that it probably depends on the dog, but is there an average starting age. Also what age do they consider puppy, AKC recommend you take the test again when dog is older if taking as puppy.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sorthund, your puppy has to be at least 6 months old to take the CGC. I think one excellent time to take the test is right after they've successfully completed a beginner's OB course, and things are still fresh in their mind. But the best time to take the CGC is when your dog WANTS to demonstrate that she can follow the commands, regardless of age.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think Cole was about 8 months when he got his. If I remember correctly. It was after his second round of puppy kindergarten.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Sorthund,Mischa passed hers at about 8 months old if she can do it,then FiFi is a dead cert to pass !!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Lena was eight months old when we tested. Emily decided to take a picture shortly after I handed Lena off to the friendly stranger. As I stood some distance away (out of sight), I watched my just 10 year-old daughter move in for this picture...

As soon as Em took the picture, Lena saw her, and all the nice slack in the leash was gone. I about freaked out, but fortunately, it was also time for me to return so we passed and all was well. The "friendly stranger"/judge was very understanding when I told her what had happened. She figured Lena must have seen me coming back.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're starting the class for the test mid March, and she won't test until she's 10 mos old (mid May), so hopefully she'll pass. I'm worried about her pulling the leash, she's soooo bad, but today I stepped up the heeling training, walking doing lots of turns, I hate it though, and she doesn't pay attention to me. If I have food in my hand, she keeps mouthing it. I'm also worried about the shyness factor - depending on who's touching her, but we'll see.
2.5 months is a long time to grow up more.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Glad you are taking the CGC!
Your girl should be fine, esp. if she is taking a CGC specific class. :)

Around a year is a good time. Even my wild and crazy monster has his, try taking a good nice walk before the test or your class to wear them out a little.

Say a key word for loose leash walking and work on it for awhile, lots of socialization (go for one new place a day=), maybe you can teach the foundations of attention heeling. Ask the instructors what they think.

Good luck, you'll do fine. :jonkel:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
sorthund said:
To those of you who have done the CGC test -- what age is good to try this test. I realize that it probably depends on the dog, but is there an average starting age. Also what age do they consider puppy, AKC recommend you take the test again when dog is older if taking as puppy.
There is no min age limit for CGC. AKC says they should have their last puppy shots and rabies before the test, so it is open to young puppies too. I consider Dobes (esp. males)" puppy" personally until 18 months or so, but the AKC classifies puppies as 12 months or under, like their puppy class in conformation.
I like to take the CGC for puppies, then take the WAE for adult Dobermans,as it is a temperament test too. You can also take the Therapy dog test at the same time as the CGC in many clubs.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Like Sorthund, Mensa and I are having trouble on the "loose leash" business.

I am working with the "tree method" every time we go to the Dog Park (between the parking lot and the Park itself) and it is taking us about ten minutes to go only a hundred yards. She doesn't seem to be making any progress at all, but we're going to keep working on it. I'll bet she figures it out eventually.

But she's great with strangers, so I don't see any trouble in that department.

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
I have a friend who takes all of her Dobes through the first CGC test that comes along after they are 6 months old. Like me she usually does the test at a dog show and since most shows have regulations about not having unentered dogs on the show grounds and puppies must be 6 months before they can be entered it accounts for when she does it.

I've taken dogs through at every age--the first dog of mine to get a CGC was around 9 months--one of the Dobe people was a member of the all-breed club and caught me walking my dog and said "Come take this--he'll pass easily" So I did and he did.

My oldest dog just sort of got forgotten about--he took the test when he was 6 and a friend of mine too him through with her young male who was just over two at the time.

The middle dog was 2-1/2 and I took the blonde wonder (fawn) through this January when he was 14 months old.

They all passed. One of the things about the CGC is that you can keep talking to the dog--which is what I did with all of them--I think only the oldest dog actually knew heel or even walk (my command for a non heel but stick around by my side) when they took the test.

I've never had problems with the recall, the stay or the wait with a stranger--except with the Aussie--he never did pass the CGC because he was such a wreck when seperated from either me or my friend who also took him through due to seperation anxiety and he barked and howled all the way through the wait with a stranger--he was great on everything else though. The Dobes have always thought being brushed was weird since I only wipe them down with damp towels and don't brush them. They all spend the entire time they were brushed trying to look at the brush and see what the heck it was. Noise didn't bother them and strangers didn't bother them. I think all of them spent enough time at shows that walking through crowds of strangers or past strangers with dogs was old hat.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Pollo got his at 5 years - but only about 10 months after we got him. as for the loose leash, that was a challenge for him. We did a LOT of about faces when on walks - almost to the point where a few times I had to sit I was so dizzy! a prong collar can help with that too.

when it came time for the test (his was during a big rescue bbq) I had him running around playing with all the other dobes for about an hour and a half before his test. it is much easier to pass when you dobe is exhausted! also you can talk to him the whole time so use your voice, call him to come with you when you have to turn or to keep up with you if he is lagging.

it is a whole lot of fun and it can help get you a better homeowners insurance rate too!!!

cc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts