Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
The best thing you can do is to read the section on the AKC website - it does a good job of explaning everything. Here is the link:
http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/index.cfm

I got Velma's at the Philadelphia Kennel Club Benched show a couple of years ago. The test was offered free for exhibitors.

Some training centers offer a class to prepare for it. It is a really good thing to get because some insurance companies will sell homeowners insurance to people with blacklisted breeds IF they have a CGC on them: Nationwide is a good example.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I believe it is a simple basic test...which means Canine Good Citizen... I think the tests include things like walking on a loose leash...greeting a stranger...stuff like that...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is a link to the tests involved in CGC on the AKC website: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Here's their search tool to find CGC tests near you: http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/cgc_schedule.cfm

I take my girls to a local obedience club. There are open & utility levels of obedience, all levels of agility, and all levels of tracking available to members. For the general public, there is a Kindergarten puppy class, and then beginner, intermediate and advanced. Many dogs are ready for the CGC test after Intermediate. Storm passed her CGC and her TDI at 8 1/2 months...I didn't know dogs had to be 1 year old for the TDI, and no one there realized she wasn't a year old because she was so big! She had to re-take the TDI portion. Knowing the tests, you can practice with your dog yourself, just like you would for anything else. It's not hard at all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
While on the topic of the CGC we are having trouble with accepting a stranger and reaction to another dog.

Abby just thinks every person and every dog is her greatest friend and playmate and cannot control her excitement to see someone new or another dog.

Upon seeing another dog she gets really excited and 90% of the time will attempt to pull ahead and if we are successful in getting close it's not long before she starts bowing and jumping around to get the other dogs attention.
Accepting a stranger isn't as bad although she's not consistent.

Any useful tips? Its difficult for us to find willing dog owners to practice with at this point.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I just got good news about the CGC tests. This thread provoked me to e-mail AKC and ask about testing at US bases overseas. I was pleasantly surprised that they said they would allow it, providing the evaluator had at least 2 years experience training people and their dogs, they also said they'd consider a k9 handler (I know lots of them since Mark is a cop :). So now I'm on a mission to bone up on OB and find someone to take on the evaluator position so Chi can earn her CGC :) My only concern is the approaching owner and dog part of the test - will have to seriously work on that :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
TracyJo said:
I just got good news about the CGC tests. This thread provoked me to e-mail AKC and ask about testing at US bases overseas. I was pleasantly surprised that they said they would allow it, providing the evaluator had at least 2 years experience training people and their dogs, they also said they'd consider a k9 handler (I know lots of them since Mark is a cop :). So now I'm on a mission to bone up on OB and find someone to take on the evaluator position so Chi can earn her CGC :) My only concern is the approaching owner and dog part of the test - will have to seriously work on that :)

Go for it Tracy, with the rate you work with her, you'll have her ready to go in no time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hero's Mom said:
Take her to obedience classes. That might help
Good advice! That's the best thing you can do, simply for sheer exposure! The more people and dogs your dog is around, the less exciting each new person or dog will be. Soon it will be old hat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
She has been through basic obedience and pre-novice obedience. She excels at most obedience activities but the two issues i mentioned have not be ironed out. Obedience training hasn't lessened her excitement over meeting other dogs.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hero's Mom said:
Take her to obedience classes. That might help
Oh fantastic advice! :dancing_b Why didn't i think of that. To think i came on here, took the time to type up a question, and the answer was right there in front of me the whole time. Obedience class. The answer to every dog problem. Good thing this forum exists, otherwise enormously helpful tips like that would not be avaible to the dog owner population!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Dobedad said:
Oh fantastic advice! :dancing_b Why didn't i think of that. To think i came on here, took the time to type up a question, and the answer was right there in front of me the whole time. Obedience class. The answer to every dog problem. Good thing this forum exists, otherwise enormously helpful tips like that would not be avaible to the dog owner population!

Hello. Problem? It was just a suggestion.

Try setting up some mock runs with friends with dogs and just working her though it. Remember Abby will key in on you, and you know how she reacts with other dogs. So when you do it, don't even think about it. Just walk her past and don't even allow her to look at them. Keep her attention away and on you. I know you say it will be hard to get willing help for this, you can also take her to petsmart to practice. Just walk her up and down the aisles and keep her attention on you. Don't even allow her to get into the excited state of mind when she sees people or dogs.

Ideally enroll in another OB class, it can only help. You can inform your instructor of your particular problems, so they can really focus on it too.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was not finished with my reply. My computer was acting up. SORRY!!! I actually was going to say some of the things that other people have already posted I hope that helps.Good Luck!!
Dobedad said:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I didn't intend to be mean with my response...i was just joking around. It's hard to convey tone over the internet.

I am grateful for all responses and we are definitely considering another obedience class.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dobedad, not all issues resolve so quickly. The more you expose her to, the less excited she will be. For some dogs that take a LOT of time. What do you do when she acts up/excited? Make sure you are making her work when dogs and people approach. Work on attention, do a short heeling pattern with turns and a circle. Circles-in and left turns are fantastic for a dog who is distracted or isn't paying attention to you. Wait for her to focus on the other dog and BOOM you turn sharply into her...maybe step on her toe. Oops! Should have paid attention. They learn that really fast when there are Dober-toes involved.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Definately attention is the key to this situation. Once she is excited by the new distractions, its too late. No more focus is on you. Get her attention before the excitement begins. Then keep it as you approach the distractions. If she is focused on you, the distractions means nothing. Once you can approach the distraction without all that excitement, the reward could be meeting them. The goal is that she will learn to walk up to them nicely. If she is acting excited then she should not be allowed to meet them like that. Be consistent in you ways on this. She will learn that after a few times she is not allowed to meet someone because she is excited and you walk right by them without stopping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts