Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
total of 14 individuals infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis have been reported from 9 states.

The number of ill persons identified in each state is as follows: Alabama (1), Connecticut (1), Michigan (1), Missouri (3), North Carolina (3), New Jersey (1), Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (1), and Virginia (1).

Among the 9 patients with available information, 5 (56%) were hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

Multiple brands of dry pet food produced by Diamond Pet Foods at a single manufacturing facility in South Carolina have been linked to some of the human Salmonella infections.

Consumers should check their homes for recalled dog food products and discard them promptly. Consumers with questions about recalled dog food may contact Diamond Pet Foods at telephone number (800) 442-0402 or visit www.diamondpetrecall.comhttp://www.cdc.gov/Other/disclaimer.html

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/dog-food-05-12/index.html

CDC Links Diamond Pet Food to Human Salmonella Outbreak

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had the dogs on Taste of the Wild a few months ago, I'm glad I took them off of it because they weren't doing well on it...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
This turning into one he11 of a mess for Diamond! Sounds like pretty sloppy operations to me. How do you get salmonella in a bag of cooked kibble?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
We just pulled all of our ToTW bags, NB limited ingredients diet, and chicken soup for the dogs. All on recall.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,451 Posts
Do you think we are looking at another ingredient imported from China that is contained in all these dog foods ?

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
The recall also includes Nature's Domain.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
We have an affected bag of TOTW Bison and Venison which is almost empty. Indy seems OK but I'll call the vet tomorrow. I can't take a chance with this company and we'll be switching foods.

This was the only food Indy did well on with his chronic colitis but I think his problem was with grains. Does anyone know anything about Performatrin Ultra grain free? They sell it at my local PetValu. The ingredients look good but it's new and I can't find any reviews on the dog food analysis site. It's made in Canada.

Thanks!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Yeah, guess who has two thumbs and didn't know Diamond made TOTW? This guy. So glad I found out at 11:00 pm /sarcasm And our just-opened bag of food has the target numbers/dates on it.

Affected brands: (on HonestDog.com)

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Kirkland (C0stco brand)
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild
NEW: Natural Balance

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Yeah, guess who has two thumbs and didn't know Diamond made TOTW? This guy. So glad I found out at 11:00 pm /sarcasm And our just-opened bag of food has the target numbers/dates on it.

If it's any consolation, I didn't know TOTW was made by Diamond until recently. :(

Reactions: GingerGunlock

·
Registered
905 Posts

Affected brands: (on HonestDog.com)

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Kirkland (C0stco brand)
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild
NEW: Natural Balance
I had no idea Diamond made TOTW, or Natural Balance. My dogs have been on both, I switch a lot due to Harley's allergies. All of my bags are gone now, but I think I will start keeping the UPCs and date codes from the bags in a binder or a notebook or something... in case of a situation like this.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
SO FAR I THINK IT IS GOING TO GROW EVEN MORE!

Production Codes

If your production code has a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is affected by the recall.If the product you have does not include a 2 or 3 in the 9th or 10th position AND an “X” in the 11th position, your product is not affected by the recall, and you can continue to feed it as usual.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Questions?

You can call Diamond at 866-918-8756 Monday thru Sunday 8:00 am-6:00 pm EST if you have any questions.///// Canidae has been added and Wellness LBP. Susan Thixton of http://www.TheTruthaboutPetFood.com has the complete list and said she would not send out anymore recall notices, but would post on her site instead. Also you can check the U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page site as there will be no rumors there. This is a lot of PRECAUTIONARY recalls for salmonella contamination. A normal healthy dog will not be effected. Puppies or immune compromised dogs will be at risk. Wash your hands after feeding your dog and picking up poo. Dont allow your dog to lick your face or mouth and keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth and nose, which is normal advice to keep from getting sick from most things anyway.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Reactions: eegreen

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I just spoke to Pet Valu where I bought the affected bag of TOTW. She confirmed that the recall has expanded and also told me that Kirkland and TOTW are looking for a new manufacturer so Diamond will no longer be making these brands. Hoping the other brands follow their lead. I would be willing to stay with TOTW if made by another company but it will take time to get things up and running.

In the meantime, I have a small bag not affected and I'm going to switch to Performatrin Ultra grain free (made in Canada for Pet Valu). It looks like a good food: Performatrin Ultra Grain-Free

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
These recalls are all foods MADE at the GASTON, SOUTH CAROLINA PLANT. No other Diamond plants are involved. All Solid Gold that is sold in the U.S. is made at other Diamond plants.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts