Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dax is and always has been horrible to have her nails dremmel. I have tried everything since day one nothing works. Been reading a lot about CBD oil and called "Pet Releaf" regarding their product. They suggested the 1700 oil due to her weight and give about one hour prior to dremmel. Does anyone have an experience with CBD oil.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Reactions: dax0402 and LadyDi

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Dax is and always has been horrible to have her nails dremmel. I have tried everything since day one nothing works. Been reading a lot about CBD oil and called "Pet Releaf" regarding their product. They suggested the 1700 oil due to her weight and give about one hour prior to dremmel. Does anyone have an experience with CBD oil.

I tried it for some help on my knees - Really couldn't tell it helped any :grin2:

I have the same problem with both of ours - even when big girl was here - the minute they see me get the dremmel out - it's off to the races - one hinds in the back room - the other - who knows where - as far as training - I started them out as puppies - just barely touching there nails - sometimes twice a week - they did great - but the older they got - the worse they got - matter of fact - rain day here - and they both are going to get a trim as soon I finish this post :grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There was a thread on it: https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/296506-cbd-dogs.html

That said, I wonder if it would actually be enough. How bad is she? What have you done, training wise, to desensitize her to dremeling?
Since she came home as a young puppy I placed the dremmel on the floor turned on gave her treats. Did this every day then proceeded to do one nail treats, one nail treats. Continued with this. When I began to do the entire foot trouble began. She will be OK for some of her nails, some not so much. She will rabbit kick you. I have never in 30+ yrs had a dog that did not just roll over and even go to sleep. I dremmel her nails every week.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Since she came home as a young puppy I placed the dremmel on the floor turned on gave her treats. Did this every day then proceeded to do one nail treats, one nail treats. Continued with this. When I began to do the entire foot trouble began. She will be OK for some of her nails, some not so much. She will rabbit kick you. I have never in 30+ yrs had a dog that did not just roll over and even go to sleep. I dremmel her nails every week.
Do you do her nails on a grooming table? Her standing up? Her on her back?

I ask only to find out if you've tried just switching it up to see if it makes a difference. I am very much on board with making nails pleasant for dogs and with cooperative care. On the other hand...behaviorally normal dogs that aren't frightened...sometimes they just need to learn that some things just need to be tolerated. I know that will be an unpopular opinion in some circles, but...in my house, with my dogs, do they love having nails done? No. Do they tolerate it? Yes. Because they get their nails done every week and it's not an option for them to struggle or to opt out. Neither of them are frightened of the dremel or stressed out, so they simply don't have the option to act out about it. When I get the dremel, Sypha runs to the couch, flops over on her back and lets out the biggest sigh you've ever heard. Because she doesn't like it. She never has, but this is just part of her routine. With her, she's on her back and I sort of hold her between my legs. We dremel, she gets a cookie, and life goes on. Richter needs to be standing up and I do his sort of like a horse getting shoes.

I know people that have better success just changing the "picture" for the dog - up on a grooming table instead of on the floor, with the dog in a slip collar so they can't move around so much.

Again, my opinion above is for BEHAVIORALLY NORMAL dogs. Dogs that are afraid, stressed, etc by having nails done are a whole different ballgame.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,493 Posts
I can't give you any advice on CBD oil, but I have a similar Dremeling experience with Spock's nails (about every 1-1/2 weeks).

1. DREMEL TOOL- First off, I use a Dremel Micro 8050 model which is Li-Ion powered and has built in LED light. It's speed can be lowered quiet slow- making it the quietest Dremel I have used. Walmart had on sale for $69 for a few weeks in Sept.- Now back to $89.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-8050-N-18-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Micro-Rotary-Tool-Kit/35915403?

2. DREMEL BIT- I use Dremel #9933 Structured Tungsten Carbide bits which can be run slower, but cut faster than the 80 grit sandpaper rolls.
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00004UDJX/

(My recent Dremeling Nail post regarding this bit: https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberm...d-coated-carbide-dremel-head.html#post3996945 )

3. DOBE NAIL TRIM STRATEGY- Our Eva will lay down on her dog bed and be very compliant for nail trimming- she loves to be pampered!
Spock, on the other hand, can detect when I even think about Dremeling his nails and will head for the hills (go to his crate or the hide in the laundry room).

So, I developed my latest (highly successful) Spock Nail Trimming technique...

A. Catch Spock Resting on His Favorite Loveseat

B. He's Not Suspecting Anything Yet!

C. Wait For the Perfect Position- All Four Paws Exposed- Move In! :grin2:

Seriously, I have found that by having Spock on the elevated loveseat it's much easier to Dremel his nails - for my back (I sit on hassock). (Compared to position on floor standing or laying down) Additionally, this loveseat keeps Spock lying since he's contained by the arms and back. He just lays there reluctantly and nervously drools while I perform the Dremel nail trimming.

·
sandy2233
2,472 Posts
I groom professionally. Trust me, I don't spend hours trimming nails on one dog. On puppies, I usually just clip for the first haircut or so. Having a dog secured to something is step one. Why would you set a dog up for failure by allowing it to run away? These dogs should be on a grooming table or secured to a fence or something. I Dremel SE's toenails everyday just to keep them tidy. Takes me 30 seconds or less. And I don't treat. I will use a lot of praise but I don't treat. If I have a client that doesn't like nails done, they get done anyway. I have a groomer's helper that I will secure them with and they can't whip around to bite if they are so inclined. It is adjustable so I can raise or lower it depending on dogs height. And if they are determined to destroy my hands, they get muzzled. Most of my clients lay flat out on the table. Stuff just doesn't bother them. I don't baby talk either. I hate hearing ticky ticky on my hard wood floors and they never get that long to do that.
In my case, I can usually get dogs done fast enough that they don't have time to think about throwing a fit.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Hoss has his own bedroom of which includes a his queen sized bed. I place a treat on the window sill which is about 2 feet away from Hoss as he lays on the edge of the bed with toes hanging over the side. As we sit on the edge of the bed together I take care of business quickly .......while he just continually stares at his cookie.....drooling...and licking his lips. When I am done of course he gets the cookie. I used to do one toe at a time ...then treat.......but over time......now all toes ...then cookie. Does he like it ..no....will he allow it to be done ....yes.....he has always been willing to work hard for food. Could I do it without food......probably....but its a shortcut that I am willing to take.......we do nails weekly....allows our mani-petty sessions to be quite short.

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
My dogs don't have a vote on the matter of nails--neither when I clipped them nor in the years since that I've been using a dremel.

They get done weekly except for the occasional dog whose nails didn't grow very fast but every other week is the most they go.

When they are small--the sit in the same chair I use to post ears. Once they are too big for the chair they stand with their butt in a corner and I dremel them standing. When all of the nails are done and the dremel put away they get a cookie.

Toad gets to sit to have his nails done--because of his partial cruciate ligament tear he now sits to have back nails done--I lift his rear pastern enough to stick my toes under it and can easily do all the nails that way in the back.

Takes me about 5 minutes to trim nails on a dog--they DO NOT TRY TO RUN AND HIDE.

The cats are infinitely worse than the dogs--but they get clipped not dremeled--and I only do front nails--they all have white feet so I can see where the quick is and I'm very quick about that because if either cat gets a chance to think about it they'll try to bite me when I'm doing dew claws.

Leon run for the hills (actually under the bed) as soon as we are done but Clark found out the dogs get a cookie so now he gets one too--a piece of Toad's ProPlan Salmon and Rice kibble--makes him happy.

·
sandy2233
2,472 Posts
Hey Sandy - how about a show update - If I remember - you were doing pretty good -

Doc
Thanks for asking. We finished up our CD and our preferred novice. Trying Graduate novice now but am running out of dog shows to get it done by the end of the year. The upcoming Greeley show (Buckhorn) didn't offer it and I thought we could try at Pueblo, CO but I am going to be in Louisville Kentucky at that time watching grandkids show sheep and goats. We did show at Arapahoe Fairgrounds but she came around the jump instead of going over it. Handler error. I said Here instead of Bring. Had everything else accomplished. So we will start in January at the Longs Peak Obedience Club Show in Loveland Colo and that will be our debut for 2019. The goal for 2019 is Graduate Novice, Preferred Open, Open and then working on Utility. She has accomplished way more than I thought we could, so I am not disappointed in this years goals.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
So your coming in for the North American ? Isn't that around the mid- Nov ? Been to it many times - Were about a hour and a half from Louisville . Good luck down there and congrats on the CD

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are so many pros and cons to the benefits and uses of CBD oil. To be honest, I have always been in favor of legalization and have always been positive about the use of marijuana and CBD oil. For a while, I took CBD oil myself as prescribed by my doctor for severe knee pain and excessive anxiety. It helped me a lot and I thought I could help my dog as well. I found several articles on https://moderndogmagazine.com/articles/best-cbd-oil-dogs/132223 about the effect of CBD oil on dogs and decided to try it. My dog suffers from glaucoma and these few drops help her a lot. The effect is there, the disease has receded a little. I also noticed that during a thunderstorm or a firework explosion, my dog stopped shaking. This made me very happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts