Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 33 Posts

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Burns said:
Thanks for the replies and the pics, guys!

We will be attending advanced obedience training with the pup as well, so hopefully if he has a problem with chasing the cats, he will stop as soon as he's told. Also, maybe if we don't force the issue and let the cats come out and investigate on their own terms, it will be okay.

I guess I just looking for some reassurance with other people's experiences that cats and Dobes can live harmoniously together in certain situations.

Yes the obedience has helped with ******* and the cat. I can put her in a sit and the cat can walk by. But in general she likes to try and chase Smokey, I really try not to let this happen. I had a G.S. that had a very high prey drive, and he was excellent with my cats inside and out. He alway's would try and chase other cat's outside, but I could alway's call him off. I think the more mature ******* get's the better she will be with the cat.

Reactions: Burns

· Registered
8,076 Posts
Oh I think your cat's will hide for awhile especially with a puppy. Puppies are goofy and clutzy and your cat's will not be impressed, trust me. But with time, as your puppy matures and learns to respect them and there claws hopefully things will change. :)

· Registered
8,076 Posts
That sounds like a great idea Burns. I know I was so worried when I brought ******* home. I really love my cat and did not want her to be stressed out. It does take awhile but animals adjust pretty good and having a safe place for the cats to go is really key to things working out. I'm sure all will be fine, it sounds like you are approaching this with a really thought out plan. :)

1 - 3 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.