Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if canned cat food reduces that change of hairballs over dry. Or anyother benifits/cons of canned over dry or vice versa.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check this link out... http://www.catnutrition.org/RecommendedResources.htm

If your cats are having problems with hairballs some Laxatone should help. It's a flavored laxative you can buy from your vet. Sometimes the company sends a ton of free samples so check and see if they have some to try. :)

I'm going to be buying a grinder soon and I'm going to give it a go with getting the cats on raw. I haven't been too happy with the choices in commercial cat food and the one I'd really like to get them on, I can't find locally. Maybe with the new kitten comming, I can convince her to eat it and the others will follow suit! Wishful thinking I know...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Oh darn, I just realized one of the links on that page isn't working right now. www.blakkatz.com is a good site and when the page comes back up, be sure to check it out.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checking now, Thanks!

Keli is 8 years old now, and she gets hairballs, even though she in on hairball control food. Maybe it would be worse if she was on regular food, I don't know. But she vomited at least 3 sometimes 4 times a week. Half of the time it isn't even hairballs, just immediately after eating her food. But I've given her canned food the last couple of days (exception this AM) and no vomiting. This morning the kids feed the cats before I was up, and I woke up to a nice pile of yuck.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Laxatone once a week should help with the hairballs. My cat sometimes throws up his food for no apparant reason. It has gotten much better since I have him on a salmon based food. I feed dry only for my cats and dogs. The canned is really bad for their teeth and nutrition wise I have read that it isn't all that good since it contains so much water.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a hairball king around here too. If I make him mad he always seems to hack one up. Lol. I give him the hair ball treats those work for him for the most part. I also changed his diet to a better quality food (I know your are already on better food) he hasn't left me a hairball in months. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll give the laxatone a try all! See, that's what I always thought about hard vs. canned for their teeth too Coals. That's why I always feed dry. But after spending 200 in dental bills for one cat, it makes one think... But I can't see that it would be good for your teeth to eat a soft mush your whole life either.

What brand do you use coals that is salmon based? (will save me time over reading all the labels! ;-)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It's Purina One. He use to eat the chicken flavored so vet thought perhaps he had developed an allergy to it. I tried the turkey and he still threw up so I switched to the Salmon and it only happens in a blue moon now.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CoAl-s-Mom said:
It's Purina One. He use to eat the chicken flavored so vet thought perhaps he had developed an allergy to it. I tried the turkey and he still threw up so I switched to the Salmon and it only happens in a blue moon now.
Thanks, that is actually what I feed! Not the salmon though, just the Purina One Hairball. (Go figure, hairball control, humph...) I'm going to get a bag of the Salmon and start weaning them over as a fix for now. Along with the Laxatone. And if that doesn't help her out, I'll look into other options.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...

Okay it is November 6th now.... Been on the Purino One Salmon since about the 26th. (I switched them kinda quick, but I figured it is the same brand..yada yada) Anyway - happy to report, Keli has vomited only ONCE since then. Not a hairball either. And it was the second day, nothing since!

My plans are to get them to raw... (thanks again btw jess for the info), but this will hold them until that day when I get that business to work for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts