Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riley will be 3 in August and is absolutely wonderful. However, there are 2 major things I need to really work on with her and was hoping I could get some tips/advice/training methods.

I have 3 cats. 2 of them are very afraid of her and really get scared when she is around and RUN. Riley chases them no matter what I do. My other cat, June is VERY social and not afraid of ANYTHING so she never runs from Riley and they get along just fine. If June starts doing her little cat zoomies, Riley gets a bit excited but will listen to me when I say "leave it." I have a gate with a cat door so the 2 cats just stay on one side and Riley on the other. However, I would really love it if eventually they could all tolerate each other. I want the cats to feel comfortable again- they were there first! :)

Another issue: I really don't have people over often and when I do, as long as Riley doesn't know the people, she doesn't get over excited. However, if anyone from my family comes to visit, she jumping on them... then to the couch.. then back to them.. circling them- just way over excited. This is obviously my fault.. I have told people to ignore her when they come in and they do but I guess they don't come over enough for that to really have any effect? I really don't want to crate her every time people come over. After they are over for a few minutes, she calms down- she is very pesty, but she calms down.

Other than those things, she is perfect. I have not had to crate her and she listens very well. She has such a beautiful temperament and is really such a happy girl.

Riley 100% gets enough exercise so that is not a contributing factor to this behavior. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated. She did a beginners obedience class and will start intermediate/advanced in May.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I’ve lived with a cat and Dobermans for 40 years. My current boy Rex totally ignores the cat, my girl Tara would give chase if the cat were playing. This is where obedience comes in, give the down command. It will work with company as well. Hard to chase the cat or jump on the company when in the down position.

I’d get enrolled in a good obedience class so the dog will be obey commands with distractions. Then practice daily.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
My boyfriend and I got a kitten that Dreizehn LOVES to chase. Until we got this cat I"m not sure he had ever been in close contact with a cat before so I'm not completely surprised. What we've been doing is keeping the cat in a room at night and the dog is also crated. This, of course, is a long process... but now two months later I'll open the door to find the kitten resting in Dreizehn's crate. Dreizehn will walk in, nose the cat once or twice, and then lay down. He's much less excited about the kitten now. Yes, it's a long process but it seems to be working.

Teaching a strong "leave it" also helps.

·
Heat Seeking Missile
522 Posts
Porsche used to hate cats as a puppy, but one of our cats Bubbles stood her ground (unlike the other one who would run) and took a good swipe out of her nose. It's been 9 years now and she has never chased another cat since. It's funny because if Porsche is eating now the cat will go up to her bowl and Porsche will back up until she passes.

I think the best remedy is a cat that stands it's ground and doesn't run from the "Big Tough Doberman" lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Shadow use to chase the barn cats if they ran but did nothing to them if he caught up to them, it was just the chase that he liked and the cats finally figured that out

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Porsche used to hate cats as a puppy, but one of our cats Bubbles stood her ground (unlike the other one who would run) and took a good swipe out of her nose. It's been 9 years now and she has never chased another cat since. It's funny because if Porsche is eating now the cat will go up to her bowl and Porsche will back up until she passes.

I think the best remedy is a cat that stands it's ground and doesn't run from the "Big Tough Doberman" lol
You would think so but that just excited Riley more.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I dont have cats so I cant answer that part. But the part about company. I taught mine to go to their spot. That is a dog pillow in the living room. They are to go there and lay down until I release them. I clicker trained them all individually to what spot meant. Then had all 3 at the same time going to their spot. I then started knocking on the door/knock then open/knock, open and make funny voices/ had family coming home knock and wait to enter/friends knocking and entering. FINALLY strangers entering. With the 3 dogs it was a task I must say and many times I felt like giving up. But finally after a couple months....YAY! They will all hold their down stays while I greet my guests.

I started this b/c Kyrah is reactive to people entering the house. She didnt show teeth or lunge but she did bark. (alot) I am so happy this is finally under control. Very little barking!! So I am thinking it would be about the same thing to calm your girl before she is allowed to greet the guests.

I never let Kyrah up to greet until she is calm. Meaning she may never get up while they are here or maybe after 5 minutes. I have to see that she is relaxed on her pillow. Still tense, ears forward....nope not getting up. In the begining she did have to stay down longer. Now it really depends on who is entering the house. She is my partner now...she tells me which of my daughter's new friends I should be weary of. :)

I will also say that I taught Kyrah to sit by my side before she is allowed to greet. Her way can be intimidating to some people. But they are told to ignore her, she sniffs them and then off she goes to do her own thing. You could use somewhat the same procedure that she has to sit to greet. I do that with Dexter, my grandpup. When he comes over normally once/twice a week. No pets from me until he sits. He is vibrating he wants to jump so bad!! He is a terrier so he does normally jump once or twice with no petting before he sits. I am thinking it would be easier to teach a dobe this default behavior b/c IMO for some terriers jumping is part of their DNA.

·
Registered
716 Posts
On the cat issue...
Kira is my first dog and Doberman ever...
I have 2 Siamese cats, one is 11 the other is 14. Both act like they are still youngsters with excellent health and activity levels.

When Kira first came, the male Siamese MewMew out weighed and was taller then her. I thought a few good swats from him to Kiras nose would convience her to "LEAVE THE CATS ALONE!" But it didn't, Kira just turned a year old and I wish I would have handled the situation differently now.

I still have to scold Kira for being mean to the cat(s) and frequently have to peal, yes I said peal the cats claws off/out of her (Kira) face. I don't think Dobermans can "feel pain all the same?"

I probally should have put her in her crate or even made sure she understood, "No Playing With the CATS!" She is getting better now, it's just harder (I think) to teach her because I didn't realize how important that training was earlier.

She's mostly just really jealious of the Siamese, and wants to pester them enough to make them move off of her humans, then run so she can chase them threw the house. However I also don't want an one eyed Doberman.

I don't know what else to say except to figure out a way NOW to deflect the cat issue.

I feel bad for the cats because both of them want to cuddle up with her for warmth. I do have maybe 2 very rare photographs where "The Kira" decided not to be "Alter Kira" (That's what we call her when she goes into bunny or not listening mode) and snuggle with them... The Siamese STILL TRY EVERY SINGLE DAY TO BE HER FRIEND, such sweet souls...

Let me see if I can find a cat/dobe photo...
Here's one with Grandma and her Bella, Kira and MewMew (Siamese)

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
The cat chasing is tough. I have six cats and Shanoa has a HIGH prey drive. It's taken a long time to trust her with the kitties. We work on a lot of self-control exercises. Check out "It's Yer Choice" on Youtube. Working on self-control in general is really helpful for both of your issues. I would also work hard on "leave it." Have you done any training classes? You also want to keep kitty safe with baby gates or something similar. I would also recommend teaching a "go to your mat" type of command, like Herb2relax suggests. It's useful in all kinds of situations. Until that's solid, I would personally crate until your dog relaxes. Sometimes the excitement is just too much, and they need to be in their crate for a while until they are calmer.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cat chasing is tough. I have six cats and Shanoa has a HIGH prey drive. It's taken a long time to trust her with the kitties. We work on a lot of self-control exercises. Check out "It's Yer Choice" on Youtube. Working on self-control in general is really helpful for both of your issues. I would also work hard on "leave it." Have you done any training classes? You also want to keep kitty safe with baby gates or something similar. I would also recommend teaching a "go to your mat" type of command, like Herb2relax suggests. It's useful in all kinds of situations. Until that's solid, I would personally crate until your dog relaxes. Sometimes the excitement is just too much, and they need to be in their crate for a while until they are calmer.
She has had a few beginner's classes and will be entering intermediate/advanced this summer. I plan on keeping her in obedience for a while. She really enjoys it. I have baby gates up. I will check out those youtubes- thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts