Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lukonis Family
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! How do you apologize to your neighbor for your Doberman running through his invisible fence to chase their outside cat, catching the cat, thrashing it around like a stuffed animal and therefore breaking its neck?

I am absolutely horrified at what my 2yr old has done! I can't even look at him the same way. We just rescued him 3 months ago and the shelter told us he failed the "cat test". I never thought he would chase one so aggressively. He's been perfect with the electric fence for about 3 weeks, now. He's also been very good when we tell him not to chase the bunnies or squirrels.

I hope this is a forum for helpful feedback...not judgment

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Unfortunately this is the down side of invisible fences. I would not be mad at the dog. The dog did was what normal to the dog. Disgusting to us humans, but he didn't know any better. I think all you can do is apologize profusely and then get a fence up or not leave him out unattended.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Whats done is done, but know that you are going to hear from many people this is the exact reasons electric fences are not all they are cracked up to be.
Everyone has to learn some way and it is unfortunate but my suggestion is to promise your neighbors he will be for sure confined within his yard where he cant do this again by putting in a real wood or chain link barrier fence.
I don't doubt you have apologized profusely so now it is fence time for other animals and his own safety. I also wouldn't call it cat aggression as much as he more than likely has a high prey drive.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
What an unfortunate situation.

All you can really do is apologize profusely and assure your neighbours that never again will your dog have an opportunity to harm any pet of theirs or others.

The first thing I would do is get rid of that invisible fence immediately. Invisible fences are not secure. Not ever. Dogs go through them all the time if there is something they really want. I would never, ever use one and especially not with a dog as highly prey driven as yours. I wouldn't put it past my dogs to chase and harm a cat either if given the chance. Dogs do stuff like that. All the training in the world does not mean your dog will ever be 100% safe around cats. Get a real, 6ft tall wooden fence. I know that's an expensive solution, but IMO, it's the only one. My dogs are extremely well trained, have good manners, and I work with them constantly. But I still would never trust an invisible fence with them. Invisible fences are just too dangerous.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
What do you want us to say? This is a forum for helpful feedback, but there is no excuse for your animal killing someone else's animal. I'm very sorry this happened, but Dobermans are notoriously HIGH PREY DRIVE dogs....invisible fences are a JOKE.

I agree with everyone else here, build a real fence. It is indeed an unfortunate situation.

Anyway, animals are animals. You had knowledge that he wasn't cat-friendly. Invisible fences won't hold back a dog that wants to go past, especially for something as enticing as another moving creature. With regards to conditioning and desensitizing, I have a dachshund that has been intensely conditioned and desensitized to rodents/cats, which she was bred to hunt. I've had rats crawl across her back and she hasn't blinked an eye. Does that mean that I would leave her unsupervised with them? Not at all, because no matter how much training and stuff you do, she has that prey drive in her genes and if she decides to get that small creature, she'll get it. All I can do is make sure she never has that chance.

·
Lukonis Family
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. We are going to have to look into installing fencing...

Just to clarify...any dog I hav ever had has NEVER been unsupervised outside. I don't trust other animals from entering our yard and potentially harming them or the chance that somethng is too tempting for our dog.

I am a previous owner of a rottweiler, who was a perfect invisible fence doggie.

As for this "cat incident", I was outside with my dobie. He was taking a pee, saw the cat, and BOLTED! I ran as fast as I could through the bushes, but I was too late!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback. We are going to have to look into installing fencing...

Just to clarify...any dog I hav ever had has NEVER been unsupervised outside. I don't trust other animals from entering our yard and potentially harming them or the chance that somethng is too tempting for our dog.

I am a previous owner of a rottweiler, who was a perfect invisible fence doggie.

As for this "cat incident", I was outside with my dobie. He was taking a pee, saw the cat, and BOLTED! I ran as fast as I could through the bushes, but I was too late!
Thank you for supervising, many with even no fence at all do not :(

This is exactly our point though, it is pretty impossible once they are that motivated to call them back and definitely difficult to catch up! For now I suggest a long line so that you have something trailing behind to catch should he leave again before you decide on and install a fence. That or walk him leash in hand for his outside times.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Have you thought of getting professional help? This breed has a huge prey drive, so don't expect your dog to be able to cuddle with a cat. But you can at least do some training in calming him down a little when faced with a critter.

Like others have said, get rid of the invisible fence.

Be prepared for fines the neighbors may charge, or the city requiring your dog to be physically retained while outside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is just one of the many reasons why cats should be kept indoors only. :(

At the same time, people do need to take the appropriate steps to contain their dogs and make sure this doesn't happen. I'm glad that you're owning up to your mistake and trying to do better for the future. I think that's the best way you can apologize to your neighbor- by showing them that you're taking serious measures to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I don't have any knowledge of invisible fencing or training for it- but 3 weeks seems pretty soon to be using it as the sole means of confinement. What does the fence company say?

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
One reason I'd never use an invisible fence is the possibility of my dog going through it. The other is that any other animal can come into my yard.

By the way, am I the only one waiting for HudsonValleyDobie to comment?

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Super Moderator
22,008 Posts
This is just one of the many reasons why cats should be kept indoors only. :(

At the same time, people do need to take the appropriate steps to contain their dogs and make sure this doesn't happen. I'm glad that you're owning up to your mistake and trying to do better for the future. I think that's the best way you can apologize to your neighbor- by showing them that you're taking serious measures to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.
Couldn't have said it better.

Please keep your dog on a lead or long line (and I would not recommend letting him drag the line, as was recommended above) until you have a more permanent solution.

I do not trust an invisible fence, period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts