Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've noticed that Xena would dribble or wet the bed while she sleeps. She's had one UTI in the past and recovered well from it. I also got her urine tested afterwards to check for crystals that may have caused the issue and her tests came back negative.

I read some older threads on incontinence and UTI's. I'm thinking that she's just incontinent and still in potty training. I take her out on frequent potty breaks, and she does well managing it on her own free time (doggy door) in between enforced potty breaks. If her dribbles get really bad I'm taking her to the vet to get tested and get antibiotics.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting her doggy diapers to wear during naps and bedtime. She sleeps in her crate and on my bed often and we both don't want surprises...especially at 3am :p. Shes only 15wks, and hasn't been spayed yet (planning with her vet for when is best for Xena). I hope she will grow out of it and just keep her on diapers till then.

If she is incontinent, isnt it too young to tell? Also I read that the medication helps, but is is safe to use for their whole life? What about natural alternatives, are try just as or more effective? When getting her spayed regardless if it's good timing, will this strain her bladder control?

I realize this is not the easiest of things to manage and recover from, hopefully she won't need meds when she gets older. She's on Innova LBP, and drinks plenty of water (this maybe one thing I should manage) and very rarely gets treats. I haven't started her on any fish oil and vita E yet, and she regularly gets trifexis once a month.

Any advice is helpful in how to manage this better. She goes to the vet on tues. Thanks DT!! If posting old threads with more info is easier please post!!!!

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
I would ask the vet for a thorough check up. At her young age, if another uti is ruled out, I would at least check for etopic ureter. A 15 wk old baby should not be leaking.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Any update after the vet visit today?

Reactions: SoCalDobie

·
Registered
137 Posts
My male has had 3 UTI'S so far.
Each time Cefelexin was prescribed, and took care of it for a while.
With the last UTI, I DEMANDED that a months worth of the drug be given instead of just 2 weeks worth.
Since then, he hasn't had any problems.

My Vet said that UTI'S are fairly common in puppies.
If it goes for too long, it may be something else though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
She saw her vet today, gonna get a sample and test it for uti.

I agree with the length of dosage, longer would be better. She's only have had one uti so far, and I was prescribed amoxicillin for two weeks :confused: we will see how her results go and I'll ask for a longer treatment. Her vet also said that it is not uncommon for puppies. And her last lab result from about a month ago came back neg for crystals and what not. They will do the same with this new sample and also a culture test. I also had mention about etopic ureter, and doc said that she feels no sign of it, an if she did have it her symptoms would've showed much earlier. We talked about spaying soon, and doc also feels it will be a good time to do it before her first heat. Xena will be 16wks on Monday, her spay on June 1st. I'm a bit unsure to do it so soon, we've just started on posting, I don't want to stress her out too much. However I could give her posting a rest until she heals up from the spay surgery.

Nonetheless, she's gaining weight by the minute!! I'm gonna start measuring her to really see how fast she grows :) any insight/questions and advice is much welcome. Ill let oy know of her urine results as soon as I get them.

And thanks so much for keeping around for an update!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts