Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm co-founder of DrawtheDog.com, and we are working on a cartoon of a Doberman, part of our series of breed-specific, color cartoons. Here are some examples of our other designs:

Lab: Lab - a full color Draw the Dog cartoon inspired by hundreds of Lab stories
Golden: Golden - a full color Draw the Dog cartoon inspired by 194 Golden Retriever tales (approximately)
Dane: Dane - a full color Draw the Dog cartoon inspired by hundreds of Dane stories
GSD: GSD - a full color Draw the Dog cartoon inspired by countless German Shepherd stories

Jim George draws each cartoon, and he wants advice regarding the right pose for a Doberman. Ideally, it should be something that is distinctive of this breed. For example, the Lab is chewing the "L" in "Lab," something Lab owners instantly appreciate.

I'll be following this thread, and hope you'll be willing to share your ideas and suggestions. We'd really like to do a Doberman design in the next few weeks.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
wow hi and welcome.. what a fab idea.

to start with as the name is quite long is it possible to have 2 dobermans.. as they come cropped and also with floppy ears..

would be nice if both ways were involved !!

as for the look.. i would say regal.. upright.. or fun and goofy.. both doberman traits !!

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
They are so noble and alert. I think the one pose I have seen consistently in this breed is the fact that when they are lying down, their head and ears are up and alert and their front paws are almost always crossed - kind of like royalty. :)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Leaning - yes! Either entire body or even a head on a leg while looking up at the owner, sleeping on their back or all curled up in a ball, running... the "look of eagles"....

ripping up pillows and other inedible objects, pulling arms out of sockets on leash.... oops wait that's just puppies. (or is it?) ;)

Your illustrations are fantastic!

Hmmm... where is a thread to refer to? Lemme look....
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/29845-sum-up-your-dobes-personality-one-photo.html

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/17157-your-2-favorite-photos-your-dobe-s.html

You can also look at the top of this forum for the winners of the calendars as a reference.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
Definitely regal and royal. They know that they are the best/most handsome/prettiest/smartest breed out there and their composure reflects that

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
They are so noble and alert. I think the one pose I have seen consistently in this breed is the fact that when they are lying down, their head and ears are up and alert and their front paws are almost always crossed - kind of like royalty. :)
Yep, Lou is such a gentleman when he is laying his paws are always crossed.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
There is also the ever-loved trait of dober-balls. Dobes LOVE to curl up in tight little balls to sleep. This could be the "o" Also, like lynger said, they are velcro, and many (especially the boys) like to lean on their humans. Regal is also a good pose, as that is the most common comment I hear from other people. That and alert!
Some dober-ball shots:

alert:

Good luck :) I love these cartoons!

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yes, ALWAYS crossed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two Dobermans? Ears?

is it possible to have 2 dobermans.. as they come cropped and also with floppy ears.. would be nice if both ways were involved !!
This is a really interesting idea, especially because we earlier received emails asking us to include natural ears.

How do people feel about the idea of two dogs, with two different types of ears?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
agreed- very regal, alert and noble. lying down, paws crossed, ears alert, face isn't looking directly at the audience but slighty turned to the side- as if to say, I'm on duty watching over everything in the world.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I never knew they could 'smile'... Loki smiles every time he gets let out of his crate, comes inside, meets some ect.. basically when he gets excited he gives me a big ol' smile! but Ive learned not all Dobes do this so probably not a good idea for a cartoon.
but another yes on the velcro and leaning!
and dont forget their nub of a tail!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
This is a really interesting idea, especially because we earlier received emails asking us to include natural ears.

How do people feel about the idea of two dogs, with two different types of ears?
I think it's a great idea. You could even do one black, one red.... one natural, one cropped... one regal and alert and the other a snuggle-bug!

Now which aspects to mix together....?
Red, cropped, regal
Black, natural, snugglebug?
;)

Edit - posted at the same time, Kpablo - not copying you!

1 - 20 of 101 Posts