Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have Dickson's first cardiologist coming up in April at the University of Guelph with cardiologist Lynn O'Sullivan. I have only heard wonderful things about her and am so happy that we have the opportunity to see her for our first visit. I am obviously nervous on the other hand because I don't know what I will do if Dickson does have any cardio issues, knock on wood, he has had no health problems to date.

Regardless I was wondering whether anyone on this forum had seen O'Sullivan as their cardiologist and if they could share their experience.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yes I have been in that study for yrs..delt with Dr Mike O grady as well as Lynn.. Mike has retierd so now I deal with Lynn full time.. She is great and knows her dobermans when I comes to heart ;-) Have faith in her she will always do right by your dog and god for bid your dog does get cardio follow her advise to the letter and she will give your dog more time.
I got almost 3 more yrs with my boy following their advice..
Good luck maybe i'll see you there? I'm back in April too ;-)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have heard good things too. When my puppy is of age we will be participating in the heart study as well. I know a lot of doberman owners who do their yearly check ups with Dr.O Grady... But as fever one said, I hear Lynn is excellent as well

·
Extraordimary
4,954 Posts
Hi
I was wondering whether anyone on this forum had seen O'Sullivan as their cardiologist and if they could share their experience.
I've have been going for about 17 years. I've only saw Dr. O'Sullivan a couple of times last year since Dr. O'Grady retired.

You check in at the front desk of the small animal clinic, and then wait in the waiting room. Look for the Doberman in the mural to the right of the receptionist windows. It's very nice.

Dr. O'Sullivan's assistant, Heidi, will come get you. Your dog will be taken to a nearby scale and weighed, and then you'll both head off to the ultrasound room, probably (sometimes you go to a different room and have an ecg done there but usually you'll get them both in the same room).

Sometimes the dog gets the ecg done first, sometimes they get the ultrasound done first - depends on Lynne's availabilty and schedule with other patients. The ecg might be done with the dog on the table or it might be done with the dog lying on the floor. I prefer the table - my cranky knees don't deal well with getting on the floor. The dog needs to lie still for the ecg. You're right there, holding the dog.

There will be a little shaving done with electric clippers over the dog's heart on the left prior to the ultrasound. The ultrasound will be on the table. Again, you'll be right there watching everything, holding your dog and this is your opportunity to ask Lynne cardiac questions if you wish while she takes the measurements she needs. This will take 15ish minutes. The dog is hooked up to an ecg during the ultrasound. Again, you try to keep the dog still and calm during the whole process.

When they are done working from that side, they will shave a bit on the right hand side while the dog is still lying there, and then they will let the dog sit up and they will turn it around on the table to lie on the other side. Same thing while she takes measurements from the other side, taking 10-15 minutes.

Sometimes they have students there watching / learning, and that's interesting for the owner because we get to hear what they're being asked, how they answer, etc. By this time, I can answer some of the questions they get asked - lol. Sometimes students are coming and going from the room, using the computers, etc.

The end of the examination is the auscultation where Lynne will listen to the dog's heart with a stethoscope. They appreciate silence for that. Then she'll sit and type up a short report for you.

While we're there, we often get asked if we'd be willing to participate in other ongoing studies and they often ask if they can take a blood sample for whatever reason. This is obviously optional.

You pay Heidi at the end of the exam. And she'll likely walk you out so you don't get lost in the halls.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much to everyone that commented, I feel much better about it now. I just wanted to make sure that I had found a great cardiologist, because as I have learned from this forum, that is crucial in maintaining cardio health. I am a student at the University of Guelph currently, so I am lucky enough to be walking distance to the OVC. Also one of my best friends is in the Vet Program there and has had a few lectures from Lynn who also said she is outstanding.

Anyways thanks again, I appreciate it so much!

Nia and Dickson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts