Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
Yeah

For what it's worth if I had to choose I would go with Swift Run. I have visited there a few times and the dogs Tammy produces are IMHO a bit better than what Ray has. Some might argue with me on that.. but Tammy's dog Stopper is very nice conformationally and mentally. I also know she was planning to breed to frozen semen of her Alexander vom Haus Jagen. I met Alex a long time ago, Like 1999, and he was a nice dog, but conformationally not as nice as Stopper is.
I would not however join their Sch. Club.. wanted to but had a bad experience with the men in the club.
Anyhow, I have an 8 year old Doberman bitch that is out of a Cara bitch, Ch. Cara's Valar Lothlorien Sch I UD T1 ROM (and other titles I can't remember) I LOVED Valar, and am good friends with her former owner (Valar died at 9 1/2).
She was an outstanding bitch, daughter of the famous Alida. However, I do not think that Cara has produced as nicely now as they did say 10 years ago.

Reactions: wantsaDobe

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Stopper is a very nice looking dog. What can you say about his temperament?

When you say the Cara dogs are not what they were 10yrs ago, do you mean conformationally or working ability wise?

There are a few other breeders I am looking at, but will ask about them when the time gets closer.

Thanks a lot for your input!

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
That I can't say

Didn't stay last time long enough to see him work. If you want input on his temperament/working ability I would talk to someone who watched him at the last UDC national. I think Nancy Chistenson was the judge for the Breed Survey. Wish I could have been there. Another REALLY good person to talk to about Swift Run is Cindy Noland. She has owned and titled dogs of Tammy's breeding and done the photography for her for a long time. You can just do a Google search for Cindy and you will get her website. Very impressive titles on her dogs.
I did however see Alex work a long time ago, and he was a tough cookie!
Ahh, just from looking at the website, it just seems there's no consistency in what Ray is breeding. Pedigrees seem to be all over the place. I don't agree with a lot of what he has done as a breeder either. I am being very vague I know, but if I say much more I am bound to piss someone off royally. I can say if you go with Cara be prepared to bend over backward for them and sign a contract as long as your arm that probably won't be very balanced. Not something I wanna mess with.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have met Tammy and have seen Stopper as well....Stopper has a great disposition and Tammy is a really nice person. I haven't had the the chance to get back down there but I probably will again to work with Sabot on obedience and possibly tracking...not the bite work though, he just doesn't have the disposition for it. But everyone there was great and friendly and I had a good time.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
From 1994 to 2005, I owned a son of Bonnie Wittrock's, Am/Can/UDC CH Cara's Talon Am/Can Cd,B, CGC,VCX,TDI,ROM,Sch1. My Baron was a wonderful dog, I showed him some in 1995 and he did very well in the breed ring. My career at the time just didn't allow me the time to continue with him in the ring.

I am hoping to get a girl from Talon's last litter via frozen next year, so that answers how much I think of Talon. Talon was a grandson of Alida and in my opinion a great dog. I live in Washington state so Talon, who went to Oregon, was the only Cara dog that I am familiar with.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I don't know anything about cara. but if you send them an e-mail it takes him for ever to respond
Ray Carlisle is a really busy guy and an AKC judge also. So it may take awhile to hear back from him.

Steve - you may want to start your own thread for a puppy search. Include where you live and what your situation is.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Ray is also going to be out of the country for awhile in the next month....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just went to the Cara site and got a major case of deja vu! I sent Ray Carlisle a cpompleted questionairre just as I was looking for a breeder and he NEVER got back to me. My breeder, however, responded to my email w/in a day or two and the rest is history...

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Ray is also going to be out of the country for awhile in the next month....

Yep, he is the American representative for the world Championship in Italy. That is why Eve Auch is doing our WAE instead of Ray - it was a conflict.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Just went to the Cara site and got a major case of deja vu! I sent Ray Carlisle a cpompleted questionairre just as I was looking for a breeder and he NEVER got back to me. My breeder, however, responded to my email w/in a day or two and the rest is history...
I will say that it would be nice for breeders to respond to inquiries in a timely manner, but in defense of breeders - they get a ton of inquiries and if they don't have a litter coming any time soon, some of them don't respond. When I was looking for my first well bred Doberman, I sent off tons of e-mails, very few of them were answered. Frustrating for sure! If you are really interested in one specific breeder, it is sometimes better to call them............ the things you learn after being in the breed for awhile. I'm not kidding when I say that some breeders don't even do e-mail :-0

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I can't imagine not answering inquiries for puppies!! Even if I don't have anything, maybe someone needs help finding a reputable breeder!! Thats our job!!!! I try to keep people from making mistakes BEFORE they make them!

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I will say that it would be nice for breeders to respond to inquiries in a timely manner, but in defense of breeders - they get a ton of inquiries and if they don't have a litter coming any time soon, some of them don't respond. When I was looking for my first well bred Doberman, I sent off tons of e-mails, very few of them were answered. Frustrating for sure! If you are really interested in one specific breeder, it is sometimes better to call them............ the things you learn after being in the breed for awhile. I'm not kidding when I say that some breeders don't even do e-mail :-0
You are right about that :)

I get a ton of inquiries each week and it is hard to keep up with them all. I have two breeds to respond to....so the e mails do add up. I also get many phone calls as well. With a regular job and a show schedule it is hard to get back to everyone as soon as I would like. But I do get back to all of them. I agree wholeheartedly with Jana...it is our job as doberman lovers to help people find a reputable breeder.

Having said all that....it would be nice if people would be a little patient. My answering message says "due to my show schedule, please do not expect a return call over the weekend...that is Friday through Monday"....you would not believe the curt calls I get because someone called on a Friday and its now Sunday and they have called THREE times and I haven't returned their call. SHEESH!! LOL

I also get e mails that just say...do you have any puppies?? That's it. It would help if people (and many do) would tell me a little about themselves...what they are looking for (red? black? male? female?) and perhaps a good time when they are available to talk.

As I said I do get back to all inquiries but every once in a while I miss an e mail or I cannot understand a telephone number left on a message...I suggest if at first you don't succeed call or write again!! :)

Regards,
Elaine

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can't imagine not answering inquiries for puppies!! Even if I don't have anything, maybe someone needs help finding a reputable breeder!! Thats our job!!!! I try to keep people from making mistakes BEFORE they make them!
I don't agree. I have only bred one litter, but I keep in close contact with the owners. In the past I used to respond to all inquries but I no longer do because of time restraints. Between having a career, family, training my dogs, and keeping up with current puppy owners it is difficult to respond to EVERY request. If the person sounds serious about their search and took the time to provide me with lots of information, I will take the time to answer all their questions and help them find a good breeder. But some requests sound awful and I simply hit the delete button.

I don't feel like it is my job to respond to every person who wants a puppy.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I don't feel like it is my job to respond to every person who wants a puppy.
I agree that some of the inquiries are questionable but for those I have e mails pre written that I cut paste and send. Easy peasy.

As for phone calls if the caller sounds strange and I feel I or others might have difficulty in dealing with them, I refer them to all the info available on several websites (including the DPCA) along with the breeder referral info. If they want a puppy bad enough they can wade through the websites....and perhaps just might learn something.

At least they get pointed in the right direction.

Regards

Elaine
Starlaine Dobermans

Reactions: jdd

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree that some of the inquiries are questionable but for those I have e mails pre written that I cut paste and send. Easy peasy.
Good point. I used to have one of those but seemed to have lost it over the past year. I guess I could re write one and start sending it out. Sometimes I feel like I am locked in front of the computer responding to e-mails which can get old quickly.... especially when I feel like people ignore good advice. That is why the delete key has become my friend :sunglasse

1 - 20 of 22 Posts